Review by Chazza3007 -- The Ultimate Guide to Zombies

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Chazza3007
Currently Reading: Ten Dead Comedians
Bookshelf Size: 37
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chazza3007.html
Latest Review: The Ultimate Guide to Zombies by Dave Robertson

Review by Chazza3007 -- The Ultimate Guide to Zombies

Post by Chazza3007 »

[Following is a volunteer review of "The Ultimate Guide to Zombies" by Dave Robertson.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The Ultimate Guide to Zombies- A Review

Zombies- there’s a lot more to them than you would believe. The Ultimate Guide to Zombies is here to educate you on everything you need to know about them- from their deep Haitian voodoo past to their “the walking dead” TV success. Not only can you learn about their history, you also get the treat of how to survive the oncoming zombie apocalypse.

Personally, I enjoyed this book thoroughly, it revived my long-lost love of zombies with its in-depth tour of zombie history, anatomy and media which was made even more interesting with Dave Robertson’s great storytelling and witty commentary. In my opinion, the book would be a totally different read if it was written by anybody else.

I am a person who loves to learn and the number of new facts that The Ultimate Guide to Zombies has taught me is remarkable, for example, before reading this book I never knew that there was a subgenre named “Nazi zombies”. Amazing! I particularly enjoyed chapter 3: deeper meanings as it shows how the media reflected the tensions and feelings of the times.

I would give The Ultimate Guide to Zombies 3/4 stars because there were no grammatical or spelling errors (that I noticed), it was humorous and captivating, especially when learning about the origins of zombies and where they originally came from. I would highly recommend this book to my friends and other fans of zombies as it really does contain everything you could possibly need to know. I would also recommend this book for ages 13 onwards as I believe some of the references may not be suitable for children, this book would make a brilliant birthday or Christmas present for any teens or zombie fanatics in the family.

Furthermore, the reason I gave this book 3 out of 4 stars instead of 4/4 is that, at times, I felt that Robertson went into too much detail which made it hard to read. Also, the “zombie media” section from time to time seemed unnecessary as the information has already been given to us in the actual chapter, this repetitiveness took a toll as it made me want to skip the sections. My other problem is that some of the chapters were basically just lists of movies which doesn’t make for reading. Additionally, I believe that chapter 4 isn’t needed as it is just a list of words, I would highly recommend removing this chapter as it gives the impression that it is a filler chapter to make the book seem longer than it is, especially because the information in the chapter can easily be put in a different chapter.

The Ultimate Guide to Zombies
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like Chazza3007's review? Post a comment saying so!
Dael Reader
Currently Reading: The Story of Arthur Truluv
Bookshelf Size: 53
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dael-reader.html
Latest Review: Extraordinary Stories From Everyday People (and me) by Les Clark
Reading Device: 1400697484

Post by Dael Reader »

Sounds like a good resource for all things zombie. I'm not currently looking into such things, but it's good to know someone's taking the time to educate the world. On that note, I urge you to check out the CDC website on how to prepare for the zombie apocalypse. https://www.cdc.gov/phpr/zombie/index.htm

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”