Review by CinWin -- Superhighway by Alex Fayman

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
CinWin
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 311
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cinwin.html
Latest Review: The Crystilleries of Echoland by Dew Pellucid

Review by CinWin -- Superhighway by Alex Fayman

Post by CinWin »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Superhighway" by Alex Fayman.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Alex Fine was in an orphanage for as long as he could remember. He inhales books on technology, data transmission and optics, while daydreaming about electronic gateways and cyber cities. One day the orphanage receives a contribution of some computers. This completely changes Alex's future.

As this young teenager was reconnecting a network cable, he gets plunged into a cosmic cyber world. While flying through a maze with alternating flashes of light and darkness, he is stung with sharp electrical pulses. The journey ends, and Alex finds himself in Hawaii, at the same beach he was viewing on the computer before his "voyage" began.

This is how the Sci-Fi novel Superhighway by Alex Fayman begins. We are taken on a journey filled with electroportation adventures, first loves and billion-dollar lifestyles, as Alex becomes a "Digital Robin Hood". Via his trips through cyberspace, this superhero is able to instantly download informational and monetary files into his brain. He uses these to steal billions from evil mobsters, which he gives back to the very poor.

I rate this book 3 out of 4 stars because I enjoyed the descriptive language the author used while describing Alex's travels in the superhighway of the internet. "It was hard to tell whether an external force or something within guided me through the intricate pathways. Despite the speed and lack of air, the labyrinth of dark tubes felt innocuous", is just one example. I also liked the way that Alex Fayman contrasted Alex's poor beginnings to his achieved opulence at the end. We were able to grow with him through some of his lessons in love, faithfulness and what is important in life versus what is not. I believe it was professionally edited since I did not find any errors. That made it very easy to read and follow.

The novel begins and ends in a very fast paced and electrifying style. On the downside, the middle of the book lags a bit, so I was only able to award it 3 stars. I also found it somewhat incredulous that a person could transfer billions of dollars from a Swiss bank account to a U.S. account without the I.R.S. being hot on his trail.

Despite these minor problems, I thoroughly enjoyed the book. It would be a good read for those in the 18-24 age group and adults who enjoy a good cyber thriller. The cliffhanger ending made me want to read the sequel, discover the continuing story of Alex Fine and learn how this young man turns out.

Superhighway
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon | on Smashwords

Like CinWin's review? Post a comment saying so!
Espie
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: Behind the Barbed Wire Fence
Currently Reading: Noah's Quest
Bookshelf Size: 118
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-espie.html
Latest Review: Why Me: Trash Collector, Mental Issues by Nikolay N Bey

Post by Espie »

Thank you for your insightful review.

Although I may not be within the age group you are recommending it to and it didn't get a perfect score from you, you still made it seem interesting.
"Life has many different chapters for us. One bad chapter doesn't mean it's the end of the book."-Unknown
"To err is human; to forgive, divine."-Alexander Pope
"Put GOD first; He'll bless your efforts with success."-Proverbs
Irene C
Currently Reading: Outlander
Bookshelf Size: 145
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-irene-c.html
Latest Review: Apollo's Raven by Linnea Tanner
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Irene C »

Thanks for a clear and engaging summary of this novel. I’m not really into cyber-thrillers, but your review gave me a better idea of what this novel is all about.

Readers who are more interested in the genre will be glad to know that the plot meanders in the middle.
History is not a burden on the memory but an illumination of the soul. Lord Acton
Laura Ungureanu
Favorite Book: The Book Thief
Currently Reading: The Guardians of Erum and the Calamitous Child of Socotra
Bookshelf Size: 1392
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-laura-ungureanu.html
Latest Review: Love and Marriage by Arthur Hartz

Post by Laura Ungureanu »

I also read and reviewed this book and I didn't enjoy it as much as I would have liked. I am within the age group you suggested, but maybe it just wasn't for me. Alex's personality bothered me a lot. I am glad you didn't have this problem.
CinWin
Currently Reading:

Post by CinWin »

Espie wrote: 23 Jun 2018, 06:21 Thank you for your insightful review.

Although I may not be within the age group you are recommending it to and it didn't get a perfect score from you, you still made it seem interesting.
Thank you Espie!
----"Life is like a box of chocolates. You never know what you're gonna get."----
CinWin
Currently Reading:

Post by CinWin »

Irene C wrote: 23 Jun 2018, 18:38 Thanks for a clear and engaging summary of this novel. I’m not really into cyber-thrillers, but your review gave me a better idea of what this novel is all about.

Readers who are more interested in the genre will be glad to know that the plot meanders in the middle.
Thank you Irene!
----"Life is like a box of chocolates. You never know what you're gonna get."----
CinWin
Currently Reading:

Post by CinWin »

Laura Bach wrote: 24 Jun 2018, 03:03 I also read and reviewed this book and I didn't enjoy it as much as I would have liked. I am within the age group you suggested, but maybe it just wasn't for me. Alex's personality bothered me a lot. I am glad you didn't have this problem.
Thank you Laura - His personality bothered me in the beginning too but he seemed to get better - less all about him and he started caring more for others.
Dael Reader
Currently Reading: The Story of Arthur Truluv
Bookshelf Size: 53
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dael-reader.html
Latest Review: Extraordinary Stories From Everyday People (and me) by Les Clark
Reading Device: 1400697484

Post by Dael Reader »

I just finished reading and reviewing this one too, and I almost feel like we read different books. While I liked the idea of elctroportation, I thought Alex was one of the worst examples of a hero ever. He's a self-absorbed, arrogant jerk who doesn't seem to be learning from his mistakes at all. And as for his charitable donations, he only sets up his funds when he feels a tiny twinge of guilt for getting a girl killed. And what will happen to those charities when someone discovers that the funds originally came from organized crime and terrorist organizations? It won't be good.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”