Review by Nmesoma -- The Elf Archive - Book Two of the M...

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Nmesoma
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 47
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nmesoma.html
Latest Review: The Maestro Monologue by Rob White

Review by Nmesoma -- The Elf Archive - Book Two of the M...

Post by Nmesoma »

[Following is a volunteer review of "The Elf Archive - Book Two of the Magi Charter" by Jordan David.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

REVIEW OF THE ELF ARCHIVE, BOOK TWO OF THE MAGI CHARTER BY JORDAN DAVID.

Recently, I’ve been searching for good books to read, books from bestsellers were a definite go-to but most of the recent bestsellers quite didn’t get me going as I wanted. I seriously had to reread most of the good ones I’ve got till I got so bored I decided to do something about it.

When I bumped into book two of the elf archive, I was skeptical, first it was a book on Christmas (that kind of screamed childish!) and two, it wasn’t by one of those big name writers we know of in the fictional world. I decided to give it a go finally; chapter one and believe me, I kicked off my shoes and buried my face –and part of my soul- into the book.

The book started with a series of events that got readers questioning, wanting to find out more; more details about the plots, more about the fears, more about… well, more. We’ve seen Christmas stories, mostly focused on what Santa does on Christmas right? But uncharacteristically, Christmas and flying around the world is not the theme of the book. Instead the book introduces us to Elves who secretly plan on world domination, elves searching for their lost memories and curious ones who just want to know more about their history and how the North pole or elves came to be… these goals get clashed out in the middle. And to think that wasn’t enough, Santa Claus… the beloved fat Nicholas we know of wants to get married. Traditions are called up followed by disastrous matchmaking aimed at finding a potential Mrs. Claus, trailed by the inconvenient circumstance that there hasn’t been a Mrs. Claus in over two hundred years, which got Santa thinking otherwise.

This is one Christmas book I would recommend reading all year round. The writer was able to vividly create a world so imaginary and was still able to incorporate realism and good cheer into the mix. The emotions soaring throughout the book was captured captivatingly without being disruptive. At a certain point it became slightly over-descriptive of the details by trying to paint a perfect picture of the new world the writer took us into; it’s wonderful for people who love to paint a picture with words but not for those who expect action to pop out at every corner. Getting on, the over-description ended though. I love the book because of the imaginary new world the writer was able to vividly paint out for us without being too chaotic or too imaginary. I highly recommend it to all ages; it was so good that when it finally ended I heard a pin drop. That’s how enraptured it got me; it’s great to escape to a world of good cheer once in a while.

I would say the story was engaging with a touch or two or dozens of mysteries finely tuned with good old humor. I would give it a 3 out of 4 stars, and it lost a point merely because of its descriptive parts, other than that, it’s a daring book.

SUMMARY
The search for the lost library that was supposed to be a secret to everyone but the old elves begins. It takes one curious elf to uproot a long-standing tradition on elf memories; it also takes one curious elf to change Christmas or at least North Pole traditions. Elves regaining their human memories are welcomed, but will the elf responsible for making this new rule be at peace with his own human memory? Noel Night may be Santa’s little favorite and widely beloved by most elves but would he still be able to remain the good-little-elf when manipulative Mistletoe keeps pulling his strings? An unknown library filled with lost memories is waiting to be explored but how will poor Noel find it when there’s a game playing in the background and Mistletoe is making the rules? And is there a threat against our chubby ho-ho-ho Santa? Too many mysteries to keep up with; look in and find out, who knows, you might even hear Santa’s joyful laughter come piercing through the pages.

The Elf Archive - Book Two of the Magi Charter
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like Nmesoma's review? Post a comment saying so!
Humphrey Nwokolo
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Humphrey Nwokolo »

The pattern of artistic view of the reviewer definitely makes me want to read it. The review is definitey worth a thumbs-up!
Supergirl1
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 81
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-supergirl1.html
Latest Review: Unhinged by Steve Galley
Reading Device: B00M4L4NHY

Post by Supergirl1 »

I love your conversational style. Fun review, I must say.
Kendall jojo

Post by Kendall jojo »

Hats off for the fun and wonderful review. Even though it's a children's book, Your review definitely makes me want to check it out. :tiphat: :techie-studyingbrown:
Kendall jojo

Post by Kendall jojo »

Your review was poetic and fun to read through, and the summary was informative and creative.
starcruzer
Currently Reading:
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-starcruzer.html
Latest Review: My Trip To Adele by R.I.Alyaseer and A. I Alyaseer

Post by starcruzer »

I love the natural way in which you described the story, I would definitely check it out
starcruzer
Currently Reading:
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-starcruzer.html
Latest Review: My Trip To Adele by R.I.Alyaseer and A. I Alyaseer

Post by starcruzer »

I love the review; it was informative and the summary talked me through the story. It seems like a great read.
Robinho

Post by Robinho »

A Story about Santa outside of Christmas, I've read the story and it was great. So happy to read your wonderful review.
Marissa Michael
Currently Reading: Carrie
Bookshelf Size: 585
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-marissa-michael.html
Latest Review: Heartaches 3 by H.M. Irwing
2024 Reading Goal: 5
2024 Goal Completion: 60%

Post by Marissa Michael »

I saw this book but I didn't make an attempt to check this book because I think I'm not ready to commit myself to another series book. From your review I find this book is worth reading. Thank you for your review.
"Read in order to live." ~Gustave Flaubert
"Fiction reveals truths that reality obscures." ~Ralph Waldo Emerson
Nmesoma
Currently Reading:

Post by Nmesoma »

ParadoxicalWoman wrote: 19 Jun 2018, 23:36 I saw this book but I didn't make an attempt to check this book because I think I'm not ready to commit myself to another series book. From your review I find this book is worth reading. Thank you for your review.
I love the quotes at the end, really motivating! :techie-reference:
Nmesoma
Currently Reading:

Post by Nmesoma »

Kendall jojo wrote: 14 Jun 2018, 06:58 Your review was poetic and fun to read through, and the summary was informative and creative.
Thanks for admiring the structure of writing, it chills me to no end
alisonedgee
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alisonedgee.html
Latest Review: Lemoncella Cocktail by Rene Natan

Post by alisonedgee »

good review, love the concept, really want to read this
JR Mercier
Favorite Book: The Bear and the Nightingale
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 129
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jr-mercier.html
Latest Review: Betrayal by Maggie Walsh

Post by JR Mercier »

This sounds like a seriously crazy read. Christmas will never be the same in my eyes. Loved your enthusiasm. Great review.
Dream up something wild and improbable.
-Strange The Dreamer, Laini Taylor
Nmesoma
Currently Reading:

Post by Nmesoma »

JR Mercier wrote: 20 Jun 2018, 12:57 This sounds like a seriously crazy read. Christmas will never be the same in my eyes. Loved your enthusiasm. Great review.
Yeah, I know it changed my views of Christmas too
Nmesoma
Currently Reading:

Post by Nmesoma »

Robinho wrote: 15 Jun 2018, 17:55 A Story about Santa outside of Christmas, I've read the story and it was great. So happy to read your wonderful review.
I'm happy you loved the story as much as I do, cheerios :snowing-smiley:

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”