Review by ReyvrexQuestor Reyes -- The last Assassination

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
ReyvrexQuestor Reyes
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 5">Raven's Peak</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 299
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-reyvrexquestor-reyes.html
Latest Review: Journey by Lindsay Schuster
Reading Device: 1400697484

Review by ReyvrexQuestor Reyes -- The last Assassination

Post by ReyvrexQuestor Reyes »

[Following is a volunteer review of "The last Assassination" by James E Doucette.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The Last Assassination by James E. Doucette is an intriguing and suspenseful thriller about Politics on a global scale. The events herein told do not necessarily unfold only in the tension-charged vicinities of Syria, Israel, Turkey, and their borders, but stretch further on to engulf the Russian Embassy at Turkey, the Royal Palace of Saudi Arabia, and the high offices of the White House and the Pentagon, as among the most notable ones.

The main flashpoint, the controversial bombing of a hospital at Aleppo, Syria, alleged to have been carried out by the US drones shocked the world and prompted Washington to launch a covert investigation. It was puzzling for the US military because such bombing mission was never ordered, and the possibility for someone to hack into their system is very improbable. And yet, someone has gone around their security safeguards, and a major somewhere reports to his general their successful bombing of the hospital, with payment given to the assassin that eliminated the terrorist they have hired to man the controls of the drones.

This novel is action-packed and fast-paced. And James E. Doucette has the goodwill to drop along the way pertinent clues for the discerning minds, in case they would fancy predicting the future scenes. Our knowledge of world history and current affairs would serve us well in piecing up the story. And now, imperative to be answered is the question regarding who was behind the bombing, so important to the political leadership of the US. While as to how it was done, their technocrats are dying to find out. If the motivation is just to kill and sow fear, then the terrorists could readily be the culprit. But then, given that capability to redirect the drones, why should the terrorists choose only such meager targets? They were known to stage bigger shows, of greater impact. There must be more to this incident than mere terrorism. Obviously, this was done to discredit America in the eyes of the world. Or some parties would gain from the ramifications to this disturbance on a far-reaching economic scale. Who are they?

Mr. Doucette has done a terrific job of developing the characters, with understandable motivation for what they do. Even the assassin, Philip, who started out as a stereotype for men with hardened will and nerves of steel, took on human traits when confronted with family and domestic life, despite the internal conflict raging within him. His vindictive alter ego has done quite enough, and he wanted to retire and to live a normal life. His attempt to keep secret his covert activities from his wife is just traditional with men dealing with military affairs, even when not belonging to the military themselves. You know, wives could leak out secrets, in cases circumstance make them sleep with the enemy, or they might get shocked upon knowing what their husbands do.

It is quite apparent that the author has a good working knowledge about the behavior of the men and women surrounding the President, how they react in times of crisis. Of the women, I must say, I like the character of Amanda, very impressive for a high-level negotiator, tackling down even men in high places of power. But that of “Skip” Gilmore may be said as having exhibited needless verbal fireworks. I was almost led to assume that he has some connection with the Russians, but this thread was left undeveloped.

I will recommend this novel to lovers of action thrillers, except to children who might yet be unable to comprehend the rationale behind political assassinations. And as the editing made it hard for me to find errors, I rate this book 4 out of 4 stars.

The last Assassination
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like ReyvrexQuestor Reyes's review? Post a comment saying so!
"In the beginning was the word.........John 1:1"
...To delineate the times that lovers miss,
...A thousand dreams can't beat a single kiss.

-reyvrex (Love Sonnet 107)
bookowlie
Special Discussion Leader
Favorite Book: The Lost Continent
Currently Reading: The Night She Went Missing
Bookshelf Size: 442
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookowlie.html
Latest Review: To Paint A Murder by E. J. Gandolfo

Post by bookowlie »

Another thorough and interesting review! I like that you mentioned there is good character development. In thrillers, there is so much emphasis on the twists and turns in the plot that the characters aren't always fleshed out enough.
"The best way out is always through" - Robert Frost
Sahani Nimandra
Favorite Book: Harry Potter and The Sorceress Stone
Currently Reading: Man of the World
Bookshelf Size: 698
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sahani-nimandra.html
Latest Review: I once had a Farm in Ireland by Siggy Buckley
Reading Device: Huawei

Post by Sahani Nimandra »

Wow! Really a straight forward review. I don't read much related to politics or terrorist activity related books but this just blows you away. The characters have performed their job well and I am not surprised that you could not find a fault within this read. Loved to read this book if the opportunity was given. Thank you for your straight forward review!
The person, be it gentleman or lady, who has not pleasure in a good novel, must be intolerably stupid! - Jane Austen :techie-studyingbrown:
ReyvrexQuestor Reyes
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 5">Raven's Peak</a>
Currently Reading:

bookowlie wrote: 08 Jun 2018, 10:52 Another thorough and interesting review! I like that you mentioned there is good character development. In thrillers, there is so much emphasis on the twists and turns in the plot that the characters aren't always fleshed out enough.
This novel highlighted the sentiments of the assassin, making him human after all. Only drawn into the situation he was in because of vendetta, his family was wiped out, he struggled to restore his life to normalcy. The human aspect is given cognizance in this novel which makes it delightful to read.

Thanks for commenting.

ReyvrexQuestor Reyes
Currently Reading:

Sahani Nimandra wrote: 08 Jun 2018, 22:16 Wow! Really a straight forward review. I don't read much related to politics or terrorist activity related books but this just blows you away. The characters have performed their job well and I am not surprised that you could not find a fault within this read. Loved to read this book if the opportunity was given. Thank you for your straight forward review!
Yes. There is human drama amidst the political chaos. Thanks for responding.

Jackie Holycross
Currently Reading: The 7 Experiment
Bookshelf Size: 306
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-teacherjh.html
Latest Review: 20 World Religions and Faith Practices by Robyn Lebron

Post by Jackie Holycross »

Sounds like an action packed political adventure. Cool.
ReyvrexQuestor Reyes
Currently Reading:

teacherjh wrote: 08 Jun 2018, 23:37 Sounds like an action packed political adventure. Cool.
It is fast-paced, you won't have time to get bored. I hope you would like it.
Thanks for passing by.

chesang faith
Currently Reading: Exiled by Amanda Carlson,The Last Hustle by Kenny Johnson, Low and dirty by Addison Moore, Jaded
Bookshelf Size: 14

Post by chesang faith »

it's just like watching an action movie .The book gives the reader the picture of what's written as per the review. I must admit that I like it
gali
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: The Suite Life
Bookshelf Size: 2287
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gali.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
Publishing Contest Votes: 0
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by gali »

A political Thriller centering around terrorism and revenge sounds intriguing. That the book is fast pace, full of action, and well executed is to the author's credit. That the characters are well developed is another plus. I don't read the genre, but I am glad you enjoyed the book. Thank you for the review.
A retired Admin/Mod

Pronouns: She/Her

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
María Andrea Fernández Sepúlveda
Favorite Author: Kristin Hannah
Favorite Book: The Nightingale
Currently Reading: The Girl Who Knew Da Vinci
Bookshelf Size: 2386
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mar-a-andrea-fern-ndez-sep-lveda.html
Latest Review: You Say Goodbye by Keith Steinbaum
fav_author_id: 5604

Post by María Andrea Fernández Sepúlveda »

I usually avoid politics because I find them nerve-wracking. But then you mentioned this:
ReyvrexQuestor Reyes wrote: 07 Jun 2018, 15:13 Mr. Doucette has done a terrific job of developing the characters, with understandable motivation for what they do. Even the assassin, Philip, who started out as a stereotype for men with hardened will and nerves of steel, took on human traits when confronted with family and domestic life, despite the internal conflict raging within him.
I think it´s a huge accomplishment. Thrillers often sacrifice character development in favor of plot twists and to have both is great. Plus, I like a well-researched book.
Thanks for a very thorough review!
Strangerthanfiction
Currently Reading: Night Seeker
Bookshelf Size: 304
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-strangerthanfiction.html

Post by Strangerthanfiction »

Great review. This sounds like the perfect read for fans of action packed political thrillers. That this book not only is well written and fast paced but also has great well written characters as well as plot twists and turns makes it very intriguing. Thanks so much for sharing.
“You know you’ve read a good book when you turn the last page and feel a little as if you have lost a friend.” – Paul Sweeney
Felix Amoh
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 3

Post by Felix Amoh »

The briefing about this book is really Good
The is one rule of war whoch means no bombing of hospitals so as to how the hospitals got bombed by a us drone demands much oh an investigation which deem it in a fit that the can be an oustide invader inside somewher.but i think this book is really gonna be interesting just by hearing a jist about it
well done author such creativity is rare
Farmgurl1
Currently Reading: In the Shadow of the Master
Bookshelf Size: 60
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-farmgurl1.html
Latest Review: Betrayal of Justice by Mark M. Bello
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by Farmgurl1 »

I read this book a few months ago and rated it a 3 out of 4 stars. I agree with the reviewer that the story is suspenseful, fast-paced and action-packed. The story is complicated and hard to follow at times. It also has some disturbing themes of how countries, including America, interact and are deceptive with it's citizens. Good book overall.
Britty01
Favorite Book: Will's Red Coat
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 80
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-britty01.html
Latest Review: Apollo's Raven by Linnea Tanner
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by Britty01 »

Nicely detailed review. An action-packed thriller about political issues on a global scale looks like an interesting read. Clues to help the reader uncover the plot is fun. It will be interesting to read about the assassin's desire to lead a normal life and how he came to be an assassin.
Cecilia_L
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 436
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cecilia-l.html
Latest Review: No Rushing when Brushing by Humairah Shah

Post by Cecilia_L »

I love suspenseful thrillers, and this one sounds like a real page-turner! Thanks for the recommendation!

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”