Review by daniya__shah3 -- Sigfried’s Smelly Socks!

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
daniya__shah3
Currently Reading: Wuthering Heights
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-daniya-shah3.html
Latest Review: Lonely Expiation by Siegfried Finser

Review by daniya__shah3 -- Sigfried’s Smelly Socks!

Post by daniya__shah3 »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Sigfried’s Smelly Socks!" by Len Foley.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Sigfried's Smelly Socks! is a children's fiction, written and illustrated by Len Foley. The book traces the stinking journey of Sigfried who is set on a quest to discover the reason behind his smelly book. He explores smells ranging from the smell of rotten food to that of pee, concluding that the major contributor behind the stinking book is his pair of socks, tucked clandestinely under his bed.

The book is humourous yet cute right from the dedication page. The puns used throughout the narrative are suitable for young readers and the corresponding illustrations intensify the hilarity of the story, complimenting each idea about different smells. I like the way Foley has illustrated the book, his illustrations are funny, filled with bright colours and drawn just the way a kid draws. The use of large eyes increase the aesthetics of the drawings, proving to be a plus point since kids feel captivated by round eyes in cartoons. The illustrations seem to talk, easily engaging the readers.

The story is written in the form of a rhyme, featuring multiple similies. Even the title makes use of a literary device called alliteration, making it seem more interesting. Using the mode of poetry as a narrative technique in a book meant for kids is a smart move since kids find poems more intriguing than prose. The introduction of sensory perceptions is educative in nature, I am sure it will enable the readers to differentiate amongst various smells. Also, the author's words are simple for the readers to comprehend yet vivid enough to make you actually smell the respective smell.

Another thing which I liked about the book is the way each page features a different smell and how his socks stand out among the other subjects, acting like a second protagonist, parallel to Sigfried. He describes his socks as smelly but not 'troublesome'. This idea personifies his socks, endowing a human-like characteristic to them.

I believe I enjoyed this book a lot more than I have ever enjoyed a book written for my age group. For standing up to my expectations, I am giving this book a rating of 4 out of 4 stars. Although, this book is recommended for children between the ages of 3 and 7, I would personally recommend this to every adult who is a kid at heart and wouldn't mind a good, stinking laugh. I'm sure this book will not let you down and you don't have to be a kid to read this.

Sigfried’s Smelly Socks!
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like daniya__shah3's review? Post a comment saying so!
"We are all in the gutter but some of us are looking at the stars."
-Oscar Wilde
zk42011
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by zk42011 »

I have read the book myself and found it quite amusing too. However, I didn't notice the literary devices and the characterisation of Sigfried's socks. If I were a reviewer, I would give you full marks for noticing the minutest details in such a short and simple book. This is the second review of yours which I have read and I must say your reviews are unique and interesting.
kfwilson6
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Lord of Chaos
Bookshelf Size: 298
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kfwilson6.html
Latest Review: The Stone Wall Crossing by Alice Schellhorn Magrane
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by kfwilson6 »

Great review. I also really enjoyed this book. I felt like the rhyming kind of fell apart in the last two pages and some of the illustrations could have been done a little better. Overall though, I think young boys would really like reading through the list of stinky items and some of the pictures would have them rolling on the floor laughing.
daniya__shah3

Post by daniya__shah3 »

zk42011 wrote: 12 Jun 2018, 04:43 I have read the book myself and found it quite amusing too. However, I didn't notice the literary devices and the characterisation of Sigfried's socks. If I were a reviewer, I would give you full marks for noticing the minutest details in such a short and simple book. This is the second review of yours which I have read and I must say your reviews are unique and interesting.
Thank you so much, that means a lot. I appreciate your kind words.
-Oscar Wilde
daniya__shah3

Post by daniya__shah3 »

kfwilson6 wrote: 12 Jun 2018, 08:19 Great review. I also really enjoyed this book. I felt like the rhyming kind of fell apart in the last two pages and some of the illustrations could have been done a little better. Overall though, I think young boys would really like reading through the list of stinky items and some of the pictures would have them rolling on the floor laughing.
Yes, I agree. Thanks, though!
-Oscar Wilde
Shafia16
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Shafia16 »

Yes, I am more fond of children's fiction myself and enjoyed reading your review. It makes you sound so dedicated, paying attention to every detail. You have got great writing skills.
gali
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: Pride and Prejudice in Space
Bookshelf Size: 2288
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gali.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
Publishing Contest Votes: 0
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by gali »

Nice review! I didn't read the book, but it sounds like a fun read. :)
A retired Admin/Mod

Pronouns: She/Her

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
BriennaiJ
Currently Reading: Island Games
Bookshelf Size: 42
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-briennaij.html
Latest Review: If Life Stinks, Get Your Head Outta Your But's by Mark L. Wdowiak

Post by BriennaiJ »

I love picture books in the art style of children! I think that it really encourages them to draw themselves. Great review!
daniya__shah3

Post by daniya__shah3 »

Shafia16 wrote: 12 Jun 2018, 12:11 Yes, I am more fond of children's fiction myself and enjoyed reading your review. It makes you sound so dedicated, paying attention to every detail. You have got great writing skills.
Thanks a lot!
-Oscar Wilde
daniya__shah3

Post by daniya__shah3 »

BriennaiJ wrote: 13 Jun 2018, 15:53 I love picture books in the art style of children! I think that it really encourages them to draw themselves. Great review!
Yes, and they feel more connected to the story as well. Thanks, though!
-Oscar Wilde
daniya__shah3

Post by daniya__shah3 »

gali wrote: 13 Jun 2018, 07:19 Nice review! I didn't read the book, but it sounds like a fun read. :)
Thanks!
-Oscar Wilde
Helen_Combe
Favorite Book: The Martian
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 193
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-helen-combe.html
Latest Review: And The Trees Began To Move by Lisa Gammon Olson
Reading Device: B00M4L4MFC

Post by Helen_Combe »

Great review. I thoroughly enjoyed this book too. Great fun. I particularly liked the page that was so disgusting it had to be hosed down. :lol:
A thesaurus is necessary, essential, indispensable, vital, crucial and fundamental.
Kat Berg
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 5">Raven's Peak</a>
Currently Reading: James Baldwin
Bookshelf Size: 223
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kat-berg.html
Latest Review: Why Am I Here by Melvin Bell
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Kat Berg »

Nice review! I too enjoyed this book, as I have a quirky sense of humor. It is one that I will gift to my friends' children.
gen_g
Currently Reading: 1984
Bookshelf Size: 104
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gen-g.html
Latest Review: The Diary That Will Change Your Lives Forever by Georgios Zelelidis

Post by gen_g »

Thanks for the detailed review! It is a great book for kids, and I’m glad that it’s one which adults can enjoy too.
daniya__shah3

Post by daniya__shah3 »

Helen_Combe wrote: 14 Jun 2018, 15:14 Great review. I thoroughly enjoyed this book too. Great fun. I particularly liked the page that was so disgusting it had to be hosed down. :lol:
Haha, yes! The book was a humorous and stinky ride.
-Oscar Wilde

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”