Review by MidnightBasm -- Illustrated Short Fiction of W...

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
MidnightBasm
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 8
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-midnightbasm.html
Latest Review: Invisible Me by H M Irwing

Review by MidnightBasm -- Illustrated Short Fiction of W...

Post by MidnightBasm »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Illustrated Short Fiction of William H. Coles: 2000-2016" by William H. Coles.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The “Illustrated Short Fiction” by William H.Coles is a collection of thirty three short stories, two graphic novels and a novella – Sister Carry. The stories have been gathered during 2000 – 2016 and this amount of time reflects perfectly the care and professionalism used to finalize the work.

Each short story has an introductory image related to its content. I must say I did not particularly enjoyed these illustrations, and while entertaining, I am not sure of their purpose and significance in the book. The two graphic novels, based on two of the short stories – Homunculus and Reddog – were done quite well and they managed to follow the narrative line of the stories. I would have appreciated more care with some of the illustrations, as it can be a bit confusing when the characters are expressing inner thoughts.

However, the writing was excellent. I can truly understand why the author has received awards for some of the stories. All of them are masterfully crafted. The writing technique is simple, linear, which only serves to emphasize the raw human emotions stirred by the stories. The author manages to create a very vivid description of the surroundings and of the characters and the images are quite beautiful.

The theme of the stories is rather universal, dealing mostly with human suffering and overcoming. The settings are extremely diverse, stretching over many continents and countries (there are stories located in France, India, different parts of USA), as well as over an extend period of time (from the French revolution to the present).

Most of the stories managed to evoke powerful feelings. It’s impressive how in just a few pages the author succeeded to create such a bond between the reader and the characters. For me, the most shocking story (to be honest, I don’t advise you to read it, unless you are prepared to be impacted for the rest of the day) was Dilemma. This is the story of a doctor who must decide if he should save his son's life, given the troubling circumstances. The thought process is very natural and real, which is something I noticed in most of the stories.

It’s hard to choose a favorite, but I will go with Big Gene. Perhaps that’s because it’s one of the few stories that is optimistic and that ends on a positive note. My least favorite story was The Bear. This was a very short story and it was the only one where the character’s actions were not understandable. I think the story should be a little longer to offer more context and a better insight to the character’s personalities.

The novella Sister Carrie was a beautiful read about loss and growing up, and is, in my opinion, the crown jewel of the collection.

All this being said, I rate this book 4 out of 4 stars. I feel it’s a well-deserved rating and I would recommend this lecture for the force of the emotions it creates. I would personally drop the illustrations, but that’s just my opinion.

Illustrated Short Fiction of William H. Coles: 2000-2016
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon | on iTunes | on Smashwords

Like MidnightBasm's review? Post a comment saying so!
Devil return
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Devil return »

Best story i ever read
But it must be little longer
So that we can understand it easily
millyweb19
Currently Reading: Gulliver's Travels
Bookshelf Size: 5
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-millyweb19.html
Latest Review: Strong Heart by Charlie Sheldon
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by millyweb19 »

This is so interesting because I had so many different thoughts! I agree with you about your favourites, I also found those stories interesting and thought-provoking. However, I thought the stories were rather dis-heartening and the characters having weird senses of revenge. Although, I also agree with the writing being well done and vivid. I'm glad you enjoyed more than I did. Have a nice day!
Dylan Kimbrough
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Dylan Kimbrough »

I also agree with you about your favorites and it’s a fantastic story but needs to be a little longer
Rafaella Michailidou
Currently Reading: Dark Places
Bookshelf Size: 71
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rafaella-michailidou.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman

Post by Rafaella Michailidou »

I totally agree with you! When I read "the bear" I just couldn't understand what happened! I'm happy to see I'm not the only one. My personal favorite was "The Miracle of Madame Villard", I love the time setting of this one and the overall happy and optimistic feeling.
“All the secrets of the world are contained in books. Read at your own risk.”
― Lemony Snicket
bookreviewmi1111
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 44
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookreviewmi1111.html
Latest Review: Creating Literary Stories: A Fiction Writer's Guide by William H. Coles

Post by bookreviewmi1111 »

I do not think I can rate this book anything less than 4/4, honestly. The book got my emotion and attention, and now it is one of the books I like the most so far. Thanks for your opinions!

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”