Review by Natashia8911 -- My Author Is Dead

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Natashia8911
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-natashia8911.html
Latest Review: My Author Is Dead by Michel Bruneau

Review by Natashia8911 -- My Author Is Dead

Post by Natashia8911 »

[Following is a volunteer review of "My Author Is Dead" by Michel Bruneau.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

I am always captivated by authors that can move you from your world into their own with just the flick of their wrist and a few words on a page. Every time I opened My Author is Dead, I was transported to this other world where an Author dictates your actions and ideas. But what happens when that Author might be dead? How do the characters know what to do? This played such a perfect parallel to religious lives today that I couldn’t help seeing myself in Adam’s shoes.

Adam is on trial at the beginning of the book for a crime he didn’t commit, a small incident that was blown out of proportion by the manipulative acts of a false accuser. As he describes the differences in the lives of the Perfectionists, the Visionaries, the Authorians, and more, an entire world of haves and have nots emerges. You can’t help but feel for this boy from the not-so-privileged and automatically give his grandpa a mental high-five every time he quips off with some critique of the Perfectionists or Small Visionary.

As the trial resumes later on in the book, following the background information, it is hard not to want to yell at the judge and people of the town in their absurdity. This book had me wanting to jump through the pages so many times. This was a very involved book in that the reader was involved in the storyline as well as the emotions of the main character.

When I first started the book, I turned my nose up a bit at the overuse of large words. I was a bit turned off by the use of “extravagant” language when you could have simplified the language of the book for more ease of read. However, the elegance of the writing came out very quickly as you realized that Adam has been memorizing a dictionary for quite some time. Aspects like this small detail are what makes this story so great. I have only seen a couple other books that have developed the style of writing to match the storyline and character position at the time. It gives me such a warm smile in my heart to see this because you know that the author feels for his characters and storyline rather than appeals to his readers. Which is a potential contrast to the image of the Author in the book.

I rate this book 3 out of 4 stars because there is so much finesse in this book, though there were plenty of grammatical or spelling errors. Not enough to hinder the story, but enough to notice. The writing is so fluid and conversational that you can’t put it down. The story is so original that I’m left just thinking of the possibilities and spinoffs when I finally put the book down after the last page. At the same time, you are left feeling complete with a finished story rather than a cliff hanger. I was left with many questions and pensive thoughts on the parallels to our world as well. It is so intriguing to think of what happens to our favorite characters when we close the book. If we consider them sentient beings, what would the continuation of their story be?

This tale had me laughing, gasping, and gripping my kindle as I held my breath. I rarely tend to re-read books and, instead, pass them on to friends to enjoy and gift to others. However, this one is going on my “Must return to me” list for me to enjoy again.

My Author Is Dead
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon | on iTunes

Like Natashia8911's review? Post a comment saying so!
Jackie Holycross
Currently Reading: The 7 Experiment
Bookshelf Size: 306
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-teacherjh.html
Latest Review: 20 World Religions and Faith Practices by Robyn Lebron

Post by Jackie Holycross »

This sounds like an intriguing, unusual book.
ifeanyi otutu
Favorite Book: If I Stay
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 8

Post by ifeanyi otutu »

it really takes someone to an word of thought entirely
Amy+++
Favorite Book: The Mister
Currently Reading: Last Chance Cafe
Bookshelf Size: 218
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amy.html
Latest Review: The Chauvinist's Guide to Modern Romance by Morris Rollins
Reading Device: B01CRGNO4S

Post by Amy+++ »

Great review. The book sounds out of the box. Reading the review made me think of Inkheart. Can't wait to read it.
trajoe1206
Currently Reading: The Witch of Endor: Vampires
Bookshelf Size: 47
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-trajoe1206.html
Latest Review: The Witch of Endor by RK Wheeler
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by trajoe1206 »

The title caught my attention and your review held it. Will definitely add this to my list to read
ccranston
Favorite Book: The Last Time I Lied
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 49
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ccranston.html
Latest Review: World, Incorporated by Tom Gariffo

Post by ccranston »

Your review really sold me on this book. I was debating on reading it or not. Thanks for the great review!
“You know you’ve read a good book when you turn the last page and feel a little as if you have lost a friend." –Paul Sweeney

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”