Review by palilogy -- A Second, Less Capable Head

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
palilogy
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 39
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-palilogy.html
Latest Review: Mistress Suffragette by Diana Forbes

Review by palilogy -- A Second, Less Capable Head

Post by palilogy »

[Following is a volunteer review of "A Second, Less Capable Head" by James Hanna.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

A Second Less Capable Head is a humorously enjoyable work of fiction crafted by the likable author James Hanna. From the beginning I was interested in the writing, the ideas and the storyline of the book. I knew it was a piece I had to explore and delve into as a reader; I was gripped by its unique plot and characterizations. Who could say no to such compelling originality?

The first story begins with a man who is growing a second head. The man is not happy about the prospect of growing another head, but a doctor informs him removal is not possible. He goes home to his girlfriend who is drinking beer and watching Jeopardy on the television and she tells him she likes the head. They discover from the television that growing another head is now happening in multiple cases as a result from contamination in the water. The president delivers an address stating that the heads are harmless, have a fondness for cheese and will become “upstanding citizens.”

There is a solid humorous and witty banter between the characters in James Hanna’s book. From Virgil’s singing second head to a small Thumbelina sized woman who wakes up her host with Britney Spears tunes, the stories enhance over time and along the stories pages.

Throughout the book there is strong voice and the narration demonstrates additional use of appreciative craft. I rate this book 4 out of 4 stars. I chose this rating because the book excels in its pages, compelling the reader to keep reading, to laugh out loud and to recommend the books enjoyment to others. I loved the books personality, the tone and point of view was always entertaining. I honestly did not dislike one thing or found any room for improvement in the book. It was superb.

An enjoyable element comes from music, which plays a strong role in the book. There is lyrical frequent humor found throughout, such as towards the books middle when a character named Ollie hums the tune of Leave it to Beaver, when a tight-butt woman sings the Beatles and in a character named Ryan playing the ukulele and swinging “tip-toe through the tulips with me”. Another enjoyable element is in the great chapter endings the author crafts. They strike a cord with the reader and leave a lasting impact, lingering the story long after the page is turned. Not one chapter ends without a lasting blow, one last deep image to sink into the reader’s memory. The vivid details, the impacting images demonstrate just how successful the book is.

A Second, Less Capable Head
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like palilogy's review? Post a comment saying so!
Dael Reader
Currently Reading: The Story of Arthur Truluv
Bookshelf Size: 53
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dael-reader.html
Latest Review: Extraordinary Stories From Everyday People (and me) by Les Clark
Reading Device: 1400697484

Post by Dael Reader »

I read this one too and was thrilled with the results. As a musician, I also enjoyed the bits of music interwoven in some of the stories. My only regret was that I noticed several mechanical errors in the writing. But the stories were great. I particularly enjoyed the sci-fi themes that are reminiscent of The Twilight Zone. Nice review!
palilogy
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 39
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-palilogy.html
Latest Review: Mistress Suffragette by Diana Forbes

Post by palilogy »

I didn't think about it until reading your comment - but your right on The Twilight Zone vibes =)
Boy do I miss that show...

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”