Review by BriennaiJ -- Becoming the Dragon by Alex Sapegin

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
BriennaiJ
Currently Reading: Island Games
Bookshelf Size: 42
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-briennaij.html
Latest Review: If Life Stinks, Get Your Head Outta Your But's by Mark L. Wdowiak

Review by BriennaiJ -- Becoming the Dragon by Alex Sapegin

Post by BriennaiJ »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Becoming the Dragon" by Alex Sapegin.]
Book Cover
1 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Becoming the Dragon by Alex Sapegin is a novel that follows the story of a boy named Andy as he changes from being a human to being a full-fledged dragon with two hearts, scales, and wings. Andy travels from his normal home to his dragon village and new family.

This story is creative, but the execution is very flawed. For starters, I could not even understand what was occurring for the first 60% of the novel. It seemed as if it was from multiple points of view, but the story constantly jumped from character to character without truly developing a single one. I could not keep track of who was who because not enough time was spent developing the characters, and as new characters were added on, I simply became even more lost. I will not even try to summarize it because I can’t remember a coherent thing. I think that Sapegin was trying to give some backstory to the world while simultaneously forming Andy’s story, but the split between backstory and main plot was not made clear.

Andy did not start changing into the dragon until the 60% mark. The transformation then takes up another 15 to 20% of the novel, and then another 10% was his grueling training. From the book’s synopsis, it seemed as if the first 15-20% of the novel would be him transforming and then the rest of the novel would be training. Instead, the beginning is filled with some sort of side plot, almost like a prequel, 20% was him “Becoming the Dragon”, and then 10% was him training as the dragon. As Andy changes, it is italicized which parts are of him speaking, and then non-italicized when others speak or when backstory is being explained. Even though the backstory was still randomly placed throughout the novel, it was a little easier to understand who was speaking. I started to wonder why this hadn’t been done from the beginning.

In the last 10% of the novel, a completely NEW side plot is added to the story, with romance. It’s almost as if the book decided to have a plot in the last 100-200 pages. Nevertheless, it is not any less confusing. With the new side plot, the italics disappear, and the random point-of-view switches start up again. At this point, I just wanted to finish the book.

There were not that many grammar errors that I noticed. Sometimes when a character spoke, it wasn’t necessarily grammatically incorrect, but just grammatically confusing. Nevertheless, there seemed to be formatting errors with the chapters. As I read this on both my phone and Kindle Cloud Reader (PC), chapters seemed to start in the middle of the page. Sometimes, they also had character names at the top. The names may have supposed to indicate which characters the chapter would be speaking about, or which characters would be “telling” the chapter from their point of view. However, this did not help me much simply because the characters were so forgettable that even if their names were given I would not know how they were important to the main storyline.

There was worldbuilding, but it was done in an “information dump” style. Randomly in the middle of a scene, a supposedly important blurb of backstory would be given. This would not help me to remember the history of the world at all, because my mind would still be focused on the “main” scene. Also, when Andy traveled to different locations, the rare descriptions of them were barely fleshed out.

I gave this book 1 out of 4 stars. I could not enjoy any of the scenes of the novel because there was little to no character development and then the point of view jumped around constantly. If I already can’t tell the characters apart because they aren’t really unique, how am I supposed to understand who is speaking at what time, or remember who is important to the main plot? The story almost finished on an okay note, but then the addition of the random new plot and the abrupt ending basically said “pick up book 2 to find out what happens next.” Overall, I could not recommend this book to anyone, even lovers of fantasy novels.

Becoming the Dragon
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon | on iTunes | on Smashwords

Like BriennaiJ's review? Post a comment saying so!
thaservices1
Favorite Book: Nightlord: Sunset
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 89
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-thaservices1.html
Latest Review: ChatGPT for Entrepreneurs by Steven A. Ridder

Post by thaservices1 »

I love this review! The book sounds like a chore to read. My avoidance continues.
"It is not the critic that counts..."
- Roosevelt
BriennaiJ
Latest Review: If Life Stinks, Get Your Head Outta Your But's by Mark L. Wdowiak

Post by BriennaiJ »

thaservices1 wrote: 06 Jun 2018, 23:15 I love this review! The book sounds like a chore to read. My avoidance continues.
Thanks for commenting! Please do avoid as much as you can.
Jackie Holycross
Currently Reading: The 7 Experiment
Bookshelf Size: 306
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-teacherjh.html
Latest Review: 20 World Religions and Faith Practices by Robyn Lebron

Post by Jackie Holycross »

I think it was the scattered plot and lack of characterization that bothered me the most.
Helen_Combe
Favorite Book: The Martian
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 193
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-helen-combe.html
Latest Review: And The Trees Began To Move by Lisa Gammon Olson
Reading Device: B00M4L4MFC

Post by Helen_Combe »

Wow, sounds like that plot was a complete disaster! Well done for finishing the book.
A thesaurus is necessary, essential, indispensable, vital, crucial and fundamental.
BriennaiJ

Post by BriennaiJ »

teacherjh wrote: 07 Jun 2018, 08:36 I think it was the scattered plot and lack of characterization that bothered me the most.
I think I could have dealt with the scattered plot if the characters had been developed more. If I had more of a connection to each character, then I would definitely have enjoyed this novel more. Thanks for commenting!
BriennaiJ

Post by BriennaiJ »

Helen_Combe wrote: 07 Jun 2018, 08:49 Wow, sounds like that plot was a complete disaster! Well done for finishing the book.
Thanks for commenting! It definitely was a disaster. I definitely contemplated giving up multiple times. I think what kept me going was the fact that the book was pretty short and so I was "almost done."
trajoe1206
Currently Reading: The Witch of Endor: Vampires
Bookshelf Size: 47
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-trajoe1206.html
Latest Review: The Witch of Endor by RK Wheeler
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by trajoe1206 »

I can feel your frustration and confusion. Thanks for letting me know to NOT pick up this book :)
Laura Ungureanu
Favorite Book: The Book Thief
Currently Reading: The Guardians of Erum and the Calamitous Child of Socotra
Bookshelf Size: 1392
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-laura-ungureanu.html
Latest Review: Love and Marriage by Arthur Hartz

Post by Laura Ungureanu »

I read the book and I agree with everything you said. However, I tried to have a positive side in the review because a lot of people seemed to really love the book and I was confused. It was not hard for me to finish reading it but now that time has passed, I can see just how flawed everything was.
BriennaiJ

Post by BriennaiJ »

trajoe1206 wrote: 07 Jun 2018, 20:24 I can feel your frustration and confusion. Thanks for letting me know to NOT pick up this book :)
Thanks for commenting! This is definitely one you should avoid at all costs.
BriennaiJ

Post by BriennaiJ »

Laura Ungureanu wrote: 08 Jun 2018, 00:27 I read the book and I agree with everything you said. However, I tried to have a positive side in the review because a lot of people seemed to really love the book and I was confused. It was not hard for me to finish reading it but now that time has passed, I can see just how flawed everything was.
Thanks for commenting! I think that people were influencing each other to be honest :lol: . I just wanted to be plain with my review, and I couldn't find anything to really like about it.
Sanju Lali
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading: Goodbye, Rudy Kazoody
Bookshelf Size: 445
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sanju-lali.html
Latest Review: The Unfakeable Code® by Tony Jeton Selimi
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by Sanju Lali »

I have read the other reviews of this book also they too gave low rating as yours for poor editing and compiling which make readers to loose more time. the plot was nice if it was gracefully portrayed
life is only knowing the unknown, we can do this by reading books easily- Online book club is a great place for this. This is what I believe.
BriennaiJ

Post by BriennaiJ »

sanjus wrote: 22 Jun 2018, 11:26 I have read the other reviews of this book also they too gave low rating as yours for poor editing and compiling which make readers to loose more time. the plot was nice if it was gracefully portrayed
Thanks for commenting. If the book's story had been edited a few more times, it definitely could have had more potential.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”