Review by JR Mercier -- Superhighway by Alex Fayman

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
JR Mercier
Favorite Book: The Bear and the Nightingale
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 129
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jr-mercier.html
Latest Review: Betrayal by Maggie Walsh

Review by JR Mercier -- Superhighway by Alex Fayman

Post by JR Mercier »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Superhighway" by Alex Fayman.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Superhighway follows Alexander Fine, an orphaned young man of eighteen, who finds himself thrust into a strange new reality when he discovers he has the ability of electroportation: the power to travel through the pathways of the internet. With his new ability, Alex wields his power to access the top tiers of the criminal world and gains access to their wealth.

Let me just start off by saying this: I LOVE the idea of electroportation. The ability to go anywhere and to have access to the tremendous amount of information on the internet, without being bound by the confines of human technology? Sign me up. I love the idea of electroportation and I love the way Alex Fayman imagined it.

Alex Fine is a generous, intelligent person with a kind heart and good intentions. When he becomes aware of his ability he decides to rob the second most powerful man in Russia and then uses that wealth to fund an extravagant lifestyle, charities, and organizations with the aim to create a better world for everyone. He grew up penniless, and as an orphan, he was no stranger to hand-me-downs but he still didn't know true poverty. When he gains this wealth, it reveals the true state of the world to him. Instead of turning a blind eye to the harsh realities of people dealing with poverty, he challenges it head on.

Alex Fine is the Robin Hood of the technological age and while he does steal from those that built their wealth off the broken backs of good people, the author also reveals that good intentions can have dire consequences. The author's fast-paced writing made for an enjoyable read and made the lessons Alex learns throughout the story much more brutal in its swift execution.

Superhighway wasn’t perfect. There were a few typos and sometimes Alex’s good nature became sickly sweet. I also wish there had been more action instead of all the grandstanding. I found myself thinking that the book might be the love child of MTV Cribs and a James Patterson crime novel. Don’t even get me started on the women. Alex Fine is what we in South Africa might call a ‘hormoon bom’, which translates to hormone bomb. Every woman is a beauty that he finds himself enthralled with.

I rate this book 3 out of 4 stars. Superhighway has its faults but I honestly love the idea of electroportation. I know this will be a trilogy and I hope the whole science behind electroportation will be explored more.

I recommend this book to readers that like a fast-paced story with a modern spin on superpowers.

Superhighway
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon | on Smashwords

Like JR Mercier's review? Post a comment saying so!
Dream up something wild and improbable.
-Strange The Dreamer, Laini Taylor
BriennaiJ
Currently Reading: Island Games
Bookshelf Size: 42
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-briennaij.html
Latest Review: If Life Stinks, Get Your Head Outta Your But's by Mark L. Wdowiak

Post by BriennaiJ »

I actually thought that Alex's nature was just annoying and immature rather than good. It is definitely interesting to see it from another perspective. I hated the way that he treated the women he saw on his journey and thought that the irresponsible decisions he made sometimes were just too immature for an 18-year-old boy. Great review!
JR Mercier
Currently Reading:

Post by JR Mercier »

BriennaiJ wrote: 07 Jun 2018, 08:28 I actually thought that Alex's nature was just annoying and immature rather than good. It is definitely interesting to see it from another perspective. I hated the way that he treated the women he saw on his journey and thought that the irresponsible decisions he made sometimes were just too immature for an 18-year-old boy. Great review!
I do think he could have gone about the whole situation a lot more smoothly if he had really thought about what he was doing but I try to think how I would be in the same situation. Probably really scared and also on a slight power trip. He does become too good if that's possible :lol: And I totally agree with you on the women. They were written to be sexy and not human. Saying all that, I did like the book. Definitely not perfect but I hope for the best with the others in this trilogy :techie-studyingbrown:
Helen_Combe
Favorite Book: The Martian
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 193
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-helen-combe.html
Latest Review: And The Trees Began To Move by Lisa Gammon Olson
Reading Device: B00M4L4MFC

Post by Helen_Combe »

Great review. It sounds like a good book, but I too get fed up when every woman is drop-dead gorgeous. I also love the idea of teleportation. Sadly, I couldn’t get this book to download, so I can’t read it myself.
A thesaurus is necessary, essential, indispensable, vital, crucial and fundamental.
JR Mercier
Currently Reading:

Post by JR Mercier »

Helen_Combe wrote: 14 Jun 2018, 07:25 Great review. It sounds like a good book, but I too get fed up when every woman is drop-dead gorgeous. I also love the idea of teleportation. Sadly, I couldn’t get this book to download, so I can’t read it myself.
That sucks! And thank you! :D I'm glad that I found a fellow reader who loves the idea of teleportation. I feel like it's the best superpower. Thanks for commenting. :tiphat:
palilogy
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 39
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-palilogy.html
Latest Review: Mistress Suffragette by Diana Forbes

Post by palilogy »

I enjoyed reading your review it was humorous at times "the book might be the love child of MTV Cribs and a James Patterson crime novel."
I've never seen MTV Cribs, only heard about it - but I do see your point.
I agree with you, I really enjoyed reading the book, but at times I was thinking to myself oh no heres another woman he's going to hit on =)
JR Mercier
Currently Reading:

Post by JR Mercier »

palilogy wrote: 14 Jun 2018, 12:32 I enjoyed reading your review it was humorous at times "the book might be the love child of MTV Cribs and a James Patterson crime novel."
I've never seen MTV Cribs, only heard about it - but I do see your point.
I agree with you, I really enjoyed reading the book, but at times I was thinking to myself oh no here's another woman he's going to hit on =)
Thank you! And exactly! It makes me mental. It's hard for me to get into a story when I'm constantly facepalming myself. It felt very cheesy. Thanks for commenting. :tiphat:
Sanju Lali
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading: Goodbye, Rudy Kazoody
Bookshelf Size: 445
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sanju-lali.html
Latest Review: The Unfakeable Code® by Tony Jeton Selimi
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by Sanju Lali »

Thanks for one more good review i had read several review of this book and found your perception is little different from other and i like it
life is only knowing the unknown, we can do this by reading books easily- Online book club is a great place for this. This is what I believe.
drackeye
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-drackeye.html
Latest Review: Sigfried’s Smelly Socks! by Len Foley
Reading Device: slredirect

Post by drackeye »

Was considering selecting this one for my next review, though now I'm not so sure. Thank you for the review, it certainly gives me some things to think about.
"Always do your absolute best in all that you do. Especially when you don't want to."
"If you cannot be proud of the job you did when you are done, you wasted your time."
JR Mercier
Currently Reading:

Post by JR Mercier »

sanjus wrote: 20 Jun 2018, 15:56 Thanks for one more good review i had read several review of this book and found your perception is little different from other and i like it
Thank you for commenting and I'm glad I helped bring a bit more clarity. :tiphat:
JR Mercier
Currently Reading:

Post by JR Mercier »

drackeye wrote: 20 Jun 2018, 19:56 Was considering selecting this one for my next review, though now I'm not so sure. Thank you for the review, it certainly gives me some things to think about.
That's the great thing about books, that we can all read the same story and yet see it differently. If the story intrigues you then read it. Thank you for reading and commenting.
anwidmer
Favorite Book: The knowing
Currently Reading: The Awakening
Bookshelf Size: 45
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anwidmer.html
Latest Review: Becoming the Dragon by Alex Sapegin

Post by anwidmer »

Im intrigued at the idea of teportaion through the internet and from your review and others ive read it seems tbat part of tge book was execjted well, i cant bring myself to read it however as ive read multiple reviews staging the protaganist falls short. I need an engaging connection to the protagonist if a book is going to keep my attention
JR Mercier
Currently Reading:

Post by JR Mercier »

anwidmer wrote: 21 Jun 2018, 06:08 Im intrigued at the idea of teportaion through the internet and from your review and others ive read it seems tbat part of tge book was execjted well, i cant bring myself to read it however as ive read multiple reviews staging the protaganist falls short. I need an engaging connection to the protagonist if a book is going to keep my attention
I totally agree. If the characters had been a bit more developed I would have LOVED the book. It's not every day that a new and exciting superpower is introduced. Electroportation made me so excited, so you understand that I wanted to bawl my eyes out when the rest fell flat.
anwidmer
Favorite Book: The knowing
Currently Reading: The Awakening
Bookshelf Size: 45
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anwidmer.html
Latest Review: Becoming the Dragon by Alex Sapegin

Post by anwidmer »

Of course! Maybe someone else will do it better, or better yet this author could take the constructive criticism and create a much better sequel
Last edited by anwidmer on 21 Jun 2018, 06:38, edited 1 time in total.
JR Mercier
Currently Reading:

Post by JR Mercier »

anwidmer wrote: 21 Jun 2018, 06:30 Of course! Matbe someone esle will do it better, or bettrr yet this author could take the co structivr criticism and create a much better sequel
Let's hope someone does! Fingers crossed!

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”