Review by Charine -- The last Assassination

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Charine
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 477
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-charine.html
Latest Review: Raven's Peak by Lincoln Cole

Review by Charine -- The last Assassination

Post by Charine »

[Following is a volunteer review of "The last Assassination" by James E Doucette.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

War, politics, princes and their king, a secret brotherhood, the Mossad and an iron lady, amongst others, contributes to a vibrant, fast paced thriller that transports the reader all over the globe. In these 150 pages, James E Doucette, weaves a spellbinding tale which grips the reader in its tentacles, only to be released upon completion of the last chapter.

Brothers Henri and Phillip Bordeaux are the two parts that form the deadly assassin Janbiya, Arabic word for dagger, whom we meet in the opening chapter. Immediately suspense is created by the fear this assassin elicits from the unknown driver.

A Doctors without Borders hospital in Aleppo, Syria, gets bombed by an US missile, creating an avalanche of deadly events, starting in the Middle East, crisscrosses the globe and ends in a beautiful climax right where it started, the Middle East.

Written in the third person narrative, this novel delivers on its initial promise located between the title and the author. It's truly a thriller that offers a fascinating and engaging story about politics, intrigue and suspense. When I realized how many subplots were being juggled, my admiration of the author grew. It was quite easy keeping track of everything happening because the author kept his chapters short and his plots on track.

I was even more impressed with the author's 'clean' use of language, seeing that he followed old-fashioned rules whereby no expletives were used. Mr. Doucette uses an unpretentious flow of 'plain and simple' English that serves to spin a web of lies and deceit, which ensnares the reader, whom becomes captivated by the tale and only surfaces back to reality after the novel has been read in its entirety.

This is a great book for first time readers, older than 18, due to the few grisly scenes, and even seasoned readers will get a thrill. It might add fuel to the fire for those conspiracy seekers amongst us...

Being impeccably edited, I only managed to find one spelling mistake, however it might have been done on purpose. On page 4 the word 'Forward' has been used instead of Foreword.

With great satisfaction I rate this novel 4 out of 4 stars. I enjoyed every page, every surprise twist and strangely enough, I even rooted for the bad guy! This is an impeccable novel that left me with a sweet aftertaste, reminiscing about the far away places I've been transported to and the 'people' I've met during my imagined travels.

The last Assassination
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like Charine's review? Post a comment saying so!
"You forget what you want to remember, and you remember what you want to forget."
- Cormac McCarthy
María Andrea Fernández Sepúlveda
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Kristin Hannah
Favorite Book: The Nightingale
Currently Reading: People we meet on vacation
Bookshelf Size: 2398
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mar-a-andrea-fern-ndez-sep-lveda.html
Latest Review: You Say Goodbye by Keith Steinbaum
fav_author_id: 5604

Post by María Andrea Fernández Sepúlveda »

Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

War, politics, princes and their king, a secret brotherhood, the Mossad and an iron lady, amongst others, contributes to a vibrant, fast paced thriller that transports the reader all over the globe. In these 150 pages, James E Doucette, weaves a spellbinding tale which grips the reader in its tentacles, only to be released upon completion of the last chapter.
Seems like this book manages to pack a lot of action into a relatively short story!
I love a good thriller and I appreciate the fact that it's written with simple language. Sometimes more is less, as they say, and the correct use of simple language can be very compelling. I always think of bilingual readers because I'm one, and its great to get a good book with not so complicated language once in a while.
Great review, thanks, this one goes to my to-read shelf.
Bavithra M
Currently Reading: Inspirience: Meditation Unbound
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bavithra-m.html
Latest Review: The Lost Identity Casualties by Kim Ekemar

Post by Bavithra M »

This book is packed with lot of thrill and suspense. Good review.
---
Espie
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: Behind the Barbed Wire Fence
Currently Reading: Noah's Quest
Bookshelf Size: 118
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-espie.html
Latest Review: Why Me: Trash Collector, Mental Issues by Nikolay N Bey

Post by Espie »

I should have already taken the cue from its title, but you've just confirmed that this isn't the book for me at this point. It's notable that you've found it worthwhile and of value, though. Thank you for your interesting review.
"Life has many different chapters for us. One bad chapter doesn't mean it's the end of the book."-Unknown
"To err is human; to forgive, divine."-Alexander Pope
"Put GOD first; He'll bless your efforts with success."-Proverbs
Shrabastee Chakraborty
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: The Warramunga's War
Currently Reading: Timewise
Bookshelf Size: 1153
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shrabastee-chakraborty.html
Latest Review: The Infinite Passion of Life by D.J. Paolini

Post by Shrabastee Chakraborty »

Thanks for the very thorough review. I already love the plot and the thrill it promises.
LV2R
Favorite Book: Crown of Crimson (The Afterlight Chronicles Book 1)
Currently Reading: Roan
Bookshelf Size: 345
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lv2r.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker

Post by LV2R »

It is good to hear that the author wrote short chapters, kept all the plots clear to the readers, and did not use expletives.
Flowers123
Favorite Book: McDowell
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 49
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-flowers123.html
Latest Review: Fragments by Bruce K. Berger

Post by Flowers123 »

This book sounds intriguing. I particularly like its suspense and mystery aspect. I'll want to read this one to satisfy my curiosity. Thanks for the review.
Charine
Currently Reading:

Post by Charine »

Lunastella wrote: 22 Nov 2018, 20:28
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Seems like this book manages to pack a lot of action into a relatively short story!
I love a good thriller and I appreciate the fact that it's written with simple language. Sometimes more is less, as they say, and the correct use of simple language can be very compelling. I always think of bilingual readers because I'm one, and its great to get a good book with not so complicated language once in a while.
Great review, thanks, this one goes to my to-read shelf.
Thank you for your positive comments and I hope you have gotten around to reading this novel. Oh, I am bilingual as well!
"You forget what you want to remember, and you remember what you want to forget."
- Cormac McCarthy
Charine
Currently Reading:

Post by Charine »

Bavithra M wrote: 22 Nov 2018, 21:56 This book is packed with lot of thrill and suspense. Good review.
I am glad you enjoyed reading my review....I aim to please :D
- Cormac McCarthy
Charine
Currently Reading:

Post by Charine »

Shrabastee wrote: 26 Nov 2018, 02:42 Thanks for the very thorough review. I already love the plot and the thrill it promises.
THanks Shrabastee for commenting on my review. I hope you have had a chance to read this novel.
- Cormac McCarthy
Charine
Currently Reading:

Post by Charine »

Bavithra M wrote: 22 Nov 2018, 21:56 This book is packed with lot of thrill and suspense. Good review.
Thanks for your positive comment Bavithra.
- Cormac McCarthy
Charine
Currently Reading:

Post by Charine »

Espie wrote: 23 Nov 2018, 07:04 I should have already taken the cue from its title, but you've just confirmed that this isn't the book for me at this point. It's notable that you've found it worthwhile and of value, though. Thank you for your interesting review.
I am glad you have enjoyed my review Espie, thanks for being honest about your reading preferences :D
- Cormac McCarthy
Charine
Currently Reading:

Post by Charine »

LV2R wrote: 15 Dec 2018, 04:39 It is good to hear that the author wrote short chapters, kept all the plots clear to the readers, and did not use expletives.
Yep, that has greatly contributed to my enjoyment of this novel.
- Cormac McCarthy
Charine
Currently Reading:

Post by Charine »

Flowers123 wrote: 17 Dec 2018, 08:16 This book sounds intriguing. I particularly like its suspense and mystery aspect. I'll want to read this one to satisfy my curiosity. Thanks for the review.
Thanks for your upbeat comment and I sincerely hope that when you do read this novel that it will provide hours of enjoyment!
- Cormac McCarthy

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”