Review by Lunastella -- Twisted Threads by Kaylin McFarren

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
María Andrea Fernández Sepúlveda
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Kristin Hannah
Favorite Book: The Nightingale
Currently Reading: People we meet on vacation
Bookshelf Size: 2398
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mar-a-andrea-fern-ndez-sep-lveda.html
Latest Review: You Say Goodbye by Keith Steinbaum
fav_author_id: 5604

Review by Lunastella -- Twisted Threads by Kaylin McFarren

Post by María Andrea Fernández Sepúlveda »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Twisted Threads" by Kaylin McFarren.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Review: Twisted Threads by Kaylin McFarren

In this erotic thriller, former geiko, turned badass assassin, Akira Sato, embarks on an adventure on board of a cruise liner, named the Merry Mermaid, on a deadly mission to earn her freedom from a yakuza family and finds herself and real love in the way. She will need all her skills, both her seductive arts and her intelligence and training, to accomplish this mission; and all her self-honesty and courage to find true happiness.

Twisted Threads is part of the Threads series, but can be read perfectly as a stand-alone book. This novel has many accomplishments, of which my favorite is its originality. The genre is not a common one, mixing romance, erotica, adventure and mystery with expertise, without showing shortages in the development of any of these areas. The characters are quirky and unique, without appearing unreal. We have a treasure hunter, a hypnotist, a Samoan bodyguard and a mysterious character only identified as “the watcher”, among others, and you get to care and understand where each character comes from and why they act the way they do, worrying deeply about their fate through the many deadly scenarios of the novel.

The dialogues are well constructed and rich, the descriptions are successfully painted, and the narrative is luxurious in its vocabulary without seeming presumptuous or being hard to understand. I really enjoyed the erotic scenes, which are racy but not vulgar. However, this book is only meant for mature audiences, since it´s very explicit in its sexual content.

The book changes pace drastically once you cover two-thirds of it. The first two- thirds read mostly as a romantic and erotic novel with a little mystery, but it turns dark and fast paced once you approach the end. I don´t think this is a mistake, but you shouldn´t expect a fast ride all the way or an unputdownable novel at first.

On the downside, there are two aspects that made the reading slow. First, it has a lot of formatting and editing issues, especially when read on a Kindle e-reader or mobile reader app. There are letters missing, words that are not separated properly or that have an extra space, words in bold that make no sense and paragraphs chopped. The header showing the title and author doesn´t adjust properly to e-readers (at least Kindle ones) and you end up with headers in the middle of the page. All this can turn very annoying. Secondly, the author uses a lot of Japanese culture terms without providing much explanation for them. I understand that this is due to the subject of the book and the very nature of her protagonist, but it can slow down the reading to constantly look up terms if you´re not familiar with this culture. It also uses drop cap initials in the typography (standing out the first letter of the chapter), which probably looks great on paperback or even on a simple PDF file, but not so much on an ebook. However, this is just my opinion.

I rate this book 3 out of 4 stars. The subject is original, the plot is appealing and engaging, the characters are very well constructed and the narrative is performed with real dexterity, but I can´t give it 4 stars because it lacks a lot of formatting and editing work.

Twisted Threads
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like Lunastella's review? Post a comment saying so!
gen_g
Currently Reading: 1984
Bookshelf Size: 104
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gen-g.html
Latest Review: The Diary That Will Change Your Lives Forever by Georgios Zelelidis

Post by gen_g »

Thanks for the detailed review! I must say, having reviewed this book myself, I am very curious, as the copy I received was impeccable in formatting! Perhaps they gave out 2 different copies?
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mar-a-andrea-fern-ndez-sep-lveda.html

gen_g wrote: 15 Jun 2018, 22:56 Thanks for the detailed review! I must say, having reviewed this book myself, I am very curious, as the copy I received was impeccable in formatting! Perhaps they gave out 2 different copies?
That´s odd! Maybe they gave out two different copies. Or maybe the problem was the conversion to Kindle?
Connie Otwani
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 200
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cotwani.html
Latest Review: The Fisherman and his Foundlings by Phillip Leighton-Daly

Post by Connie Otwani »

gen_g wrote: 15 Jun 2018, 22:56 Thanks for the detailed review! I must say, having reviewed this book myself, I am very curious, as the copy I received was impeccable in formatting! Perhaps they gave out 2 different copies?
I agree with you there could be 2 versions of the book, because I also reviewed it but missed out the formatting issues. All the same, the review is interesting and right on!
There is more treasure in books than in all the pirates’ loot on Treasure Island!
-Walt Disney
gen_g
Currently Reading: 1984
Bookshelf Size: 104
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gen-g.html
Latest Review: The Diary That Will Change Your Lives Forever by Georgios Zelelidis

Post by gen_g »

Lunastella wrote: 16 Jun 2018, 11:34
That´s odd! Maybe they gave out two different copies. Or maybe the problem was the conversion to Kindle?
That might be a possible reason? Bc the copy I received was in PDF...

gen_g wrote: 16 Jun 2018, 11:58
Lunastella wrote: 16 Jun 2018, 11:34
That might be a possible reason? Bc the copy I received was in PDF...
Yes, I´m pretty sure that was it, although I´m really no expert in that area...
revna01
Currently Reading: Storm Front
Bookshelf Size: 143
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-revna01.html
Latest Review: Rufus: A Boy's Extraordinary Experiences in the Civil War by Phoebe Sheldon

Post by revna01 »

I'm not a fan of the romance/erotic stuff and since that's two-thirds of the book, I think I'll pass. Thanks for the thorough review!
Helen_Combe
Favorite Book: The Martian
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 193
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-helen-combe.html
Latest Review: And The Trees Began To Move by Lisa Gammon Olson
Reading Device: B00M4L4MFC

Post by Helen_Combe »

Great review, it sounds like it's a tour theough all the genres as well as through the story. I’m not sure that I’d have the patience to wait for it to get moving though.
A thesaurus is necessary, essential, indispensable, vital, crucial and fundamental.
jessinikkip
Currently Reading: Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time
Bookshelf Size: 445
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jessinikkip.html
Latest Review: Misery Loves Company by Paul Marino
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by jessinikkip »

Sounds like an interesting read! I don't like reading romance or erotica usually, but the review of this book might just change my mind. Wonderful job :)

jessinikkip wrote: 24 Aug 2018, 20:11 Sounds like an interesting read! I don't like reading romance or erotica usually, but the review of this book might just change my mind. Wonderful job :)
Thank you so much for your comment! It means a lot. I hope you give it a try.
Espie
Favorite Book: Behind the Barbed Wire Fence
Currently Reading: Noah's Quest
Bookshelf Size: 118
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-espie.html
Latest Review: Why Me: Trash Collector, Mental Issues by Nikolay N Bey

Post by Espie »

Thank you for your in-depth review. I do hope that the facets of the book you've pinpointed get to be addressed to maximise its value and readability.
"Life has many different chapters for us. One bad chapter doesn't mean it's the end of the book."-Unknown
"To err is human; to forgive, divine."-Alexander Pope
"Put GOD first; He'll bless your efforts with success."-Proverbs

Espie wrote: 28 Oct 2018, 15:59 Thank you for your in-depth review. I do hope that the facets of the book you've pinpointed get to be addressed to maximise its value and readability.
I really hope so too, because the book has many accomplishments. Thanks for your comment, Espie.
Sahani Nimandra
Favorite Book: Harry Potter and The Sorceress Stone
Currently Reading: Man of the World
Bookshelf Size: 698
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sahani-nimandra.html
Latest Review: I once had a Farm in Ireland by Siggy Buckley
Reading Device: Huawei

Post by Sahani Nimandra »

The sexual nature in this read isn't bad but it was too explicit that made me question its reality. It made me question if this book is limited to the sexual capacities of the protagonists when I could clearly see this read is capable to do more. Thank you for your review!
The person, be it gentleman or lady, who has not pleasure in a good novel, must be intolerably stupid! - Jane Austen :techie-studyingbrown:

Sahani Nimandra wrote: 13 Dec 2018, 00:36 The sexual nature in this read isn't bad but it was too explicit that made me question its reality. It made me question if this book is limited to the sexual capacities of the protagonists when I could clearly see this read is capable to do more. Thank you for your review!
I understand, adding erotic scenes in a non-erotica novel seems to be a very sensitive task for writers in order to not overdo it and keep it realistic. I've had this problem with many books. Yes, at times it seems as if the protagonist's main strengths are her looks and her seduction tactics but in some parts, you realize shes clever and pretty badass.
Thanks, Sahani!
LV2R
Favorite Book: Crown of Crimson (The Afterlight Chronicles Book 1)
Currently Reading: Roan
Bookshelf Size: 345
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lv2r.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker

Post by LV2R »

The mixture of genres and characters with rich dialogue makes this book sound good. An assassin on a cruise ship sounds scary and mysterious. It's too bad that the ebook needs formatting and editing.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”