Review by Chill01 -- The Sword Swallower and a Chico Kid

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Chill01
Currently Reading: The Girl Who Knew Da Vinci
Bookshelf Size: 113
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chill01.html
Latest Review: Chip’s World: Complex #31 and The Caretaker by Thomas Hill

Review by Chill01 -- The Sword Swallower and a Chico Kid

Post by Chill01 »

[Following is a volunteer review of "The Sword Swallower and a Chico Kid" by Gary Robinson.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

This book is a story of two men that are both deeply affected by addictions, one older and one younger. The older man, Duke Reynolds was a circus sword swallower until an accident left him no longer able to do so. He meets the younger man in a bar where he becomes something of a mentor to the younger man Gary.
The book begins with an introduction where he receives a gift upon the death of his old friend Duke upon his death. This sets the stage for the first section of the book.

The book is written in three sections. each introducing a character or a time in the characters' lives. In the first section, we meet Duke Reynolds, a circus sword swallower. This is my favorite section as it is full of colorful stories of how Duke survives as a circus sideshow act and his interesting life. Duke lives a very unconventional life and also has some very powerful addictions, but underneath you get the feeling he is a genuinely likable and passionate soul. In one story in this section, he is sitting at a bar counting his money, that he earned performing on the street, and he is surrounded by working girls, he is generous to a fault giving each a roll of quarters as well as buying them rounds.

The next section details the life of Gary as a newly graduated college student trying to transition into real life post-college while also dealing with his own addictions. This part was not my favorite but it was necessary to the storyline. It highlighted the life of Gary and the struggles he was having adjusting and finding work, also some of his college days and things that led to his becoming addicted to alcohol and then to drugs.

In the final chapter, is about the budding friendship that develops between the two and delves into Dukes mentoring of Gary and finally convinces him that he should give up alcohol and choose to have a family instead. This has some very credible parts and is encouraging.

The story brings up many questions about life, love, and spirituality. Duke is described by Gary as an atheist and this book may be a bit confrontational to some readers based on some of the religious interpretations given. Also, this is not a book suitable for anyone under the age of 17 due to the graphic depictions of alcohol and drug addictions.

I did not find any grammatical errors and for this reason, I would recommend this book to anyone over the age of 18 that enjoys a good humanistic story with somewhat flawed characters.
For these reasons, I rated this book4 out of 4 stars.

The Sword Swallower and a Chico Kid
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like Chill01's review? Post a comment saying so!
amsula_2018
Favorite Book: Angels & Demons
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 41
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amsula-2018.html
Latest Review: The Traveler's Best Seller by Rick Incorvia

Post by amsula_2018 »

Good review and makes me want to read it...
"If you can't reduce your argument to a few crisp words and phrases,
there's something wrong with your argument." ~ M. Saatchi
onixpam
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 150
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-onixpam.html
Latest Review: Toni the Superhero by R.D. Base

Post by onixpam »

Nice review. But I think this book is not for me. You did a very insightful review!

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”