Review by Paul78 -- That Place of Knowledge

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Paul78
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 38572">Who Told You That You Were Naked?</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 78
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-paul78.html
Latest Review: Burn Zones by Jorge P. Newbery

Review by Paul78 -- That Place of Knowledge

Post by Paul78 »

[Following is a volunteer review of "That Place of Knowledge" by Philip Alan Shalka.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

That place of Knowledge, by Philip Alan Shalka, is a 26-page fictional book that describes a young man’s journey to an ancient city where knowledge is highly cherished. The author uses the person of his dog, Sabre, to describe how incredible the journey was. The author uses the ancient city of Greece to explain the importance of knowledge in a person’s life.

“For me, life is always an adventure,” Sabre notes. The journey to the place where knowledge is sought begins. At first, there is suspense where Philip and Sabre dive into the pool and find a dark tunnel that leads into an ancient city. The author describes a beautiful city. As if it is not enough, Sabre is surprised, as they meet Aristotle, the ancient Greek Philosopher. A quick back rub by Aristotle on Sabre clearly demonstrates his fondness for a dog he has met for the first time. A discussion ensues which later culminates with a hearty meal before the two resume back into their normal lives. Sabre can’t wait for another trip and sure enough, he is rewarded with another trip back to the famous city. This time, they decide to explore for themselves. As they discover different places where knowledge is disseminated, Aristotle emerges and engages them even in a deeper way. As one reads this book, it is clear to understand the author’s knowledge of the ancient Greek civilization.

I enjoyed reading this book from the start. It was actually hard to compile a review on it as it was full of wealth. This book opened my interest in understanding children with autism. For the author to use his dog Sabre as the narrator of this story, it shows how much assistance he has received from this animal. One will appreciate that dogs which have been trained are great companions. The book offers remarkable insights into ancient civilizations. If I would quote from the book, then extreme caution would be necessary lest I give away spoilers in this review. Each of the two encounters with Aristotle leaves profound knowledge and awe to the great wisdom the philosopher had.

Of the personalities in the book, Sabre would remain the hero here. Sabre represent the personification of a pleasant companion who not only knows when to follow but asks intelligent questions that make his friend proud of him. No wonder he is not left out on the second trip.

I didn’t encounter any grammatical errors or mistakes. I would recommend this book for everyone interested in fictional stories touching on ancient civilizations. There is indeed an abundant wealth of knowledge in this book. When one is cognizant that the title is written by an autistic person, he would discover an enormous source of inspiration. I therefore happily give this book with a 4 out of 4 stars rating.

That Place of Knowledge
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like Paul78's review? Post a comment saying so!
An investment in knowledge pays the best interest.
Benjamin Franklin
Connie Otwani
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 200
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cotwani.html
Latest Review: The Fisherman and his Foundlings by Phillip Leighton-Daly

Post by Connie Otwani »

Your review has piqued my interest in the book. I can't imagine knowledge from a dog's point of view. The fact that the author is autistic makes the book even more appealing. Great review!
There is more treasure in books than in all the pirates’ loot on Treasure Island!
-Walt Disney
Dael Reader
Currently Reading: The Story of Arthur Truluv
Bookshelf Size: 53
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dael-reader.html
Latest Review: Extraordinary Stories From Everyday People (and me) by Les Clark
Reading Device: 1400697484

Post by Dael Reader »

Generally, I would not be interested in reading a book narrated by a dog. But I'm intrigued by the fact that the author is autistic. So thanks for this detailed review. Perhaps I'll have to give it a try.
Paul78
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 38572">Who Told You That You Were Naked?</a>
Currently Reading:

Post by Paul78 »

Cotwani wrote: 03 Aug 2018, 15:48 Your review has piqued my interest in the book. I can't imagine knowledge from a dog's point of view. The fact that the author is autistic makes the book even more appealing. Great review!
Thanks for your compliment. The author chose the character of the dog to honour its contribution as an autistic guide dog.
Benjamin Franklin
Paul78
Currently Reading:

Post by Paul78 »

Dael Reader wrote: 04 Aug 2018, 12:19 Generally, I would not be interested in reading a book narrated by a dog. But I'm intrigued by the fact that the author is autistic. So thanks for this detailed review. Perhaps I'll have to give it a try.
He chose the narration to be done from the dog's point of view for a purpose. For him, Sabre had been more than an autistic guide dog. It offered him company. Thanks for passing by.
Benjamin Franklin
Espie
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: Behind the Barbed Wire Fence
Currently Reading: Noah's Quest
Bookshelf Size: 118
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-espie.html
Latest Review: Why Me: Trash Collector, Mental Issues by Nikolay N Bey

Post by Espie »

From the initial reviews I've read so far, this has already seemed profound enough to merit the perfect scores it usually gets. You've also highlighted its unique way of presenting a piece of history, among all else. Thank you for your insightful review.
"Life has many different chapters for us. One bad chapter doesn't mean it's the end of the book."-Unknown
"To err is human; to forgive, divine."-Alexander Pope
"Put GOD first; He'll bless your efforts with success."-Proverbs
Paul78
Currently Reading:

Post by Paul78 »

Espie wrote: 03 Dec 2018, 22:35 From the initial reviews I've read so far, this has already seemed profound enough to merit the perfect scores it usually gets. You've also highlighted its unique way of presenting a piece of history, among all else. Thank you for your insightful review.
Thanks for passing by.
Benjamin Franklin
miblu
Favorite Book: Less
Currently Reading: Fascinating Facts About Famous Fiction Authors and the Greatest Novels of All Time
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reading Device: B00HCNHDN0

Post by miblu »

This has me very interested in reading this book. Your thoughtful review has me intrigued both by the historical context and the philosophical aspect. Also, I was quite moved by your insights and careful consideration of the merits all round. I am thankful to know that the author is Autistic. As you pointed out, yes, this sounds to be inspirational and I think I would like to read this. Excellent Review! Many thanks!
Paul78
Currently Reading:

Post by Paul78 »

miblu wrote: 08 Dec 2018, 17:26 This has me very interested in reading this book. Your thoughtful review has me intrigued both by the historical context and the philosophical aspect. Also, I was quite moved by your insights and careful consideration of the merits all round. I am thankful to know that the author is Autistic. As you pointed out, yes, this sounds to be inspirational and I think I would like to read this. Excellent Review! Many thanks!
Thanks for checking out on me. I appreciate the compliments.
Benjamin Franklin
Ashiyya Tariq
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 235
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ashiyya-tariq.html
Latest Review: Deadly Waters: The Vietnam Naval War And Its Aftermath by Randy Miller
Reading Device: PDF

Post by Ashiyya Tariq »

This autistic man delivers a very inspiring message and develops the valuable part of ancient civilization of Greek in wonderful way. Thanks for this great review.
Make your ideals high enough to inspire you and low enough to encourage you.

📕📖📰📓📕

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”