Review by AWANDO OGUTU -- The Warramunga's War

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
AWANDO OGUTU
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-awando-ogutu.html
Latest Review: Brand Real by Vasken Kalayjian

Review by AWANDO OGUTU -- The Warramunga's War

Post by AWANDO OGUTU »

[Following is a volunteer review of "The Warramunga's War" by Greg Kater.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

War is nasty, calamitous and brutish. Many are the times war has brought suffering to the past and even present generation. Lives have been lost, property worth millions destroyed, innocent children slaughtered and women maimed and raped all but in the name of war. In the book Warramunga’s War by Greg Kater, war is the predominant theme. The author highlights the plight of soldiers during the second world, the tactics used by states in fighting their enemies and the effects of the war on the society at large.

The leading characters in the book are Jamie and Jack O’Brien who are Australian nationals but fight for the British. They are engaged as British spies in Egypt. The main protagonist in the war are the British and Germans. The war last for a long time but finally comes to an end after the surrender of the German’s and its allied forces. Jamie and Jacko thus go back to Australia where they are tasked to pursue certain personnel who had been operating as German agents during the war. They finally manage to incarcerate the agents and the local gang whom had been their accomplice in crime in the most remote parts of Australia.

I was marveled by the author’s display of the Australia’s society. Australia by then had not developed to what it is today. It had poor road network, few buildings in its major towns and tribalism was predominant among some of its tribes especially the aboriginee’s. The author says Aboriginee’s attack strangers on their land. Furthermore, the cultural display of aboriginee’s tradition is just fascinating. I must admit their cultural dances are just pleasant and somehow comical. Even Jamie, a complete stranger is marveled by their traditions and gets initiated into the community.

I love the author’s portrayal of love stories in the book. People find love in strange places. Jacko falls in love with Monique a tour guide when he goes to see the Egyptian pyramids. Their love story matures and blossoms thereafter. Jacko even gets invited to Monique’s home on an occasional basis. Monique even tries to play matchmaker between her cousins and Jacko colleagues when they visit her family for Christmas.

I disliked the manner in which the author has left everyone in suspense about Jacko and Monique love story. What happens after Monique’s family moves to Australia? Did Jacko and Monique get married? I think these are questions which every reader of this book deserve to know their answer. It is only fair if the readers are made aware of the fate of such love story after its romantic display in the course of the text.

I would recommend this book to historians who are keen on knowing the happenings of the world at different times. This book would offer a little insight into the second world war which would be educative and useful for their studies. On the contrary, I would advise against giving of this book to war survivors and victims. It may rekindle back their memories of such happenings some of which are just nasty.

All in all, I think the author did a great work and I would give this book a rating of 3 out of 4 stars. The English used is simple and easily comprehensible. Moreover, it has an excellent storyline that flows nicely from the beginning to the end.

The Warramunga's War
View: on Bookshelves

Like AWANDO OGUTU's review? Post a comment saying so!
AmySmiles
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Dana Peters
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 149
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amysmiles.html
Latest Review: Sex Education for Adults Secrets to Amazing Sex and Happily Ever After Too by John Wilder
fav_author_id: 154082

Post by AmySmiles »

I'm not interested in these types of books, but thanks for the review.
Anyone who says they have only one life to live must not know how to read a book.
–Author Unknown
Maria Clara Fonoseca
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Maria Clara Fonoseca »

War is indeed brutish. That's an excellent review.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”