Review by teacherjh -- Becoming the Dragon by Alex Sapegin

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Jackie Holycross
Currently Reading: The 7 Experiment
Bookshelf Size: 306
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-teacherjh.html
Latest Review: 20 World Religions and Faith Practices by Robyn Lebron

Review by teacherjh -- Becoming the Dragon by Alex Sapegin

Post by Jackie Holycross »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Becoming the Dragon" by Alex Sapegin.]
Book Cover
2 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

I don’t read fantasy very often, but a boy being transported to a mysterious land and being transformed into a dragon sounded irresistible. When I picked up Becoming the Dragon by A. Sapegin, I was ready for an exciting adventure. Unfortunately, I was soon disappointed. The book lacked in both cohesion and character development.

The main character, Andy, is a young teen who had the unfortunate experience of being struck by lightning in sixth grade. Now whenever he comes near a computer, it freezes. Therefore, Andy fills his time with other interests including cooking, reading, and archery. One day as Andy is delivering some notes to his scientist father, he is accidentally sucked into an experimental portal that transports him to a faraway fantasy world.

The author then leads Andy through various adventures as he navigates this new world. He faces various animals – some friendly, others deadly. He meets tribal hunters, wizards, elves, and gnomes. Eventually, Andy even befriends a dragon. He and the dragon are both being held captive at the time. Andy uses his own newly-found magic to help them both escape which eventually leads to the fulfillment of the title of the book. Andy’s life as a dragon takes up the second half of the novel.

There were times when I enjoyed this story. I liked the foreshadowing in the first section as Andy’s sister discusses with some friends how a modern person would fare if transported to a fantasy world. I also thoroughly appreciated the intricate explanations of Andy’s dragon transformation as well as his adjusting to this new chapter of his adventure. In addition, the editing of the book was well done especially considering it was translated into English. I only ran into a few mistakes related to verb tense. However, the majority of the time, I found the book confusing and frustrating. The author introduces new characters with a short back-story and then leaves them behind, moving on to a totally different scene. Most of these strands are never returned to much less resolved. I realize this is the first installment of a series, but it needed some cohesive plot and resolution to tie it together. Also, the character development was weak. I did not connect with most of the characters because their motivation was unclear. Plus, they did not stick around long enough for me to get to know them. At times the author attempted to pull the reader into the world he had created, but too often it was confusing. He referenced things I did not understand such as dragon portals and magical amulets. It seemed as if he expected the reader to know how this world worked without his explaining it. I felt like I was trying to put a puzzle together without all the pieces and no idea what the picture was supposed to be.

Overall, I felt this novel was poorly done. Due to the weak character development and unfinished plot strands, I have decided to rate this book with 2 out of 4 stars. True fantasy lovers might enjoy the mythical aspects and the world building, but anyone looking for closure will be disappointed.

Becoming the Dragon
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon | on iTunes | on Smashwords

Like teacherjh's review? Post a comment saying so!
thaservices1
Favorite Book: Nightlord: Sunset
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 89
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-thaservices1.html
Latest Review: ChatGPT for Entrepreneurs by Steven A. Ridder

Post by thaservices1 »

Thank you for this honest review. I have been back and forth on whether to read this, but I truly enjoy depth in fantasy novels. I think I will continue to pass on this one.
"It is not the critic that counts..."
- Roosevelt
Jackie Holycross

thaservices1 wrote: 02 Jun 2018, 09:21 Thank you for this honest review. I have been back and forth on whether to read this, but I truly enjoy depth in fantasy novels. I think I will continue to pass on this one.
Some people seem to love it, but it definitely wasn’t for me. Thanks for leaving a comment.
Dael Reader
Currently Reading: The Story of Arthur Truluv
Bookshelf Size: 53
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dael-reader.html
Latest Review: Extraordinary Stories From Everyday People (and me) by Les Clark
Reading Device: 1400697484

Post by Dael Reader »

LOL. It sounds like the author might have been trying to be a bit too ambitious. I mean, if you have tribal hunters, wizards, elves, and gnomes, do you really need to turn into a dragon too? Sometimes you read something new and find a gem. Sometimes, it's just a lump of coal. Nice review.
trajoe1206
Currently Reading: The Witch of Endor: Vampires
Bookshelf Size: 47
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-trajoe1206.html
Latest Review: The Witch of Endor by RK Wheeler
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by trajoe1206 »

Thanks for the detailed review. I normally like fantasy but, with the lack of cohesion and character development, I may have to give this one a miss
Jackie Holycross

Dael Reader wrote: 02 Jun 2018, 18:42 LOL. It sounds like the author might have been trying to be a bit too ambitious. I mean, if you have tribal hunters, wizards, elves, and gnomes, do you really need to turn into a dragon too? Sometimes you read something new and find a gem. Sometimes, it's just a lump of coal. Nice review.
You always make me laugh.
Bianka Walter
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: The Old Man and the Sea
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 368
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bianka-walter.html
Latest Review: Thir13en by Keegan Nielsen
Reading Device: B06XD5YCKX

Post by Bianka Walter »

I was also so confused as to why the author created intricate characters, only to forget about them. I hoped that maybe they would be introduced again in the following books, but still - it was annoying.
Thanks so much for your review - I enjoyed it :)
You can find magic wherever you look. Sit back and relax, all you need is a book.
- Dr. Seuss
Dael Reader
Currently Reading: The Story of Arthur Truluv
Bookshelf Size: 53
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dael-reader.html
Latest Review: Extraordinary Stories From Everyday People (and me) by Les Clark
Reading Device: 1400697484

Post by Dael Reader »

teacherjh wrote: 02 Jun 2018, 23:26
Dael Reader wrote: 02 Jun 2018, 18:42 LOL. It sounds like the author might have been trying to be a bit too ambitious. I mean, if you have tribal hunters, wizards, elves, and gnomes, do you really need to turn into a dragon too? Sometimes you read something new and find a gem. Sometimes, it's just a lump of coal. Nice review.
You always make me laugh.
I do my best!
Helen_Combe
Favorite Book: The Martian
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 193
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-helen-combe.html
Latest Review: And The Trees Began To Move by Lisa Gammon Olson
Reading Device: B00M4L4MFC

Post by Helen_Combe »

I have to admit that fantasy isn’t my favourite genre. Incoherent fantasy definitely isn’t. Thanks for the review.
A thesaurus is necessary, essential, indispensable, vital, crucial and fundamental.
Jackie Holycross

Bianka Walter wrote: 03 Jun 2018, 05:45 I was also so confused as to why the author created intricate characters, only to forget about them. I hoped that maybe they would be introduced again in the following books, but still - it was annoying.
Thanks so much for your review - I enjoyed it :)
Good character development is key for me in a book, so this was a big let down.
Jackie Holycross

Helen_Combe wrote: 03 Jun 2018, 15:32 I have to admit that fantasy isn’t my favorite genre. Incoherent fantasy definitely isn’t. Thanks for the review.
I don't read much fantasy either. This one just sounded interesting. Ah well - back to my crime and sci-fi.
:techie-studyinggray:
Manali_DC
Currently Reading: A Little Life
Bookshelf Size: 73
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-manali-dc.html
Latest Review: Flat Top Mountain Ranch -- the beginning by James E Doucette

Post by Manali_DC »

I love anything to do with dragons and would always want to read about them or watch them on TV. I came across this book and wondered if I should try it. Thank you for a beautifully written and honest review- while I like the idea of the story I don't think I would want to read this one!
Jackie Holycross

trajoe1206 wrote: 02 Jun 2018, 21:29 Thanks for the detailed review. I normally like fantasy but, with the lack of cohesion and character development, I may have to give this one a miss
Yeah, there are so many great books out there to enjoy. Thanks for leaving a comment.
Laura Ungureanu
Favorite Book: The Book Thief
Currently Reading: The Guardians of Erum and the Calamitous Child of Socotra
Bookshelf Size: 1392
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-laura-ungureanu.html
Latest Review: Love and Marriage by Arthur Hartz

Post by Laura Ungureanu »

Great review. I have also reviewed this book and I can say I really tried to find something good, because I couldn't see why people liked this book so much. So I clinged to every piece that looked a little interesting. But I was disappointed with everything too.
Jackie Holycross

Manali_DC wrote: 05 Jun 2018, 01:47 I love anything to do with dragons and would always want to read about them or watch them on TV. I came across this book and wondered if I should try it. Thank you for a beautifully written and honest review- while I like the idea of the story I don't think I would want to read this one!
This book had so much potential, but it just didn’t work for me.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”