Review by teacherjh -- Becoming the Dragon by Alex Sapegin

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
BriennaiJ
Currently Reading: Island Games
Bookshelf Size: 42
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-briennaij.html
Latest Review: If Life Stinks, Get Your Head Outta Your But's by Mark L. Wdowiak

Re: Review by teacherjh -- Becoming the Dragon by Alex Sapegin

Post by BriennaiJ »

I just reviewed this novel, and I basically said the same thing. I hated how the plot continued to jump around, and how there was no character development. I didn't even notice that much world-building, not enough to even start to make up for what was left out of the novel.
madhupal2486
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 2
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-madhupal2486.html
Latest Review: And Then I Met Margaret by Rob White

Post by madhupal2486 »

The review is very detailed. Thank you for sharing your perspective.
revna01
Currently Reading: Storm Front
Bookshelf Size: 143
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-revna01.html
Latest Review: Rufus: A Boy's Extraordinary Experiences in the Civil War by Phoebe Sheldon

Post by revna01 »

Bummer! I agree that the premise sounds interesting and some adjustments could have been made to bring out the potential. For once, though, the low rating is not related to poor editing, so at least the author did due diligence on that front. Thanks for the wonderful review
Jackie Holycross
Currently Reading: The 7 Experiment
Bookshelf Size: 306
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-teacherjh.html
Latest Review: 20 World Religions and Faith Practices by Robyn Lebron

Post by Jackie Holycross »

Laura Ungureanu wrote: 05 Jun 2018, 15:15 Great review. I have also reviewed this book and I can say I really tried to find something good, because I couldn't see why people liked this book so much. So I clinged to every piece that looked a little interesting. But I was disappointed with everything too.
I’m glad to know I’m not the only one who felt that way. Thanks for the comment.
Jackie Holycross

BriennaiJ wrote: 07 Jun 2018, 08:15 I just reviewed this novel, and I basically said the same thing. I hated how the plot continued to jump around, and how there was no character development. I didn't even notice that much world-building, not enough to even start to make up for what was left out of the novel.
I kept wondering if it was just because I don’t read much fantasy, but now I’m pretty sure it was the book that was lacking.
ShareTheGift
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 36
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sharethegift.html
Latest Review: Will of The Hill by Marshall Cobb

Post by ShareTheGift »

I think that some of this was due to the writer being Russian and the book being translated from Russian to English. Other books I have read that are similar (coming from a Russian writer) have some of these same characteristics such as the overly descriptive slower build-up and movement from one area to another. I felt that this was necessary when he was transforming from a boy into a dragon but not so much during the initial staging of the fantasy world.
Ashiyya Tariq
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 235
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ashiyya-tariq.html
Latest Review: Deadly Waters: The Vietnam Naval War And Its Aftermath by Randy Miller
Reading Device: PDF

Post by Ashiyya Tariq »

Great, you reviewed it from a different perspective. I enjoyed the the first half of this book, before Andy was transported to the other world. But the second part was a bit boring. Thanks for your critical review.
Make your ideals high enough to inspire you and low enough to encourage you.

📕📖📰📓📕
gen_g
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: 1984
Bookshelf Size: 104
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gen-g.html
Latest Review: The Diary That Will Change Your Lives Forever by Georgios Zelelidis

Post by gen_g »

Helen_Combe wrote: 03 Jun 2018, 15:32 I have to admit that fantasy isn’t my favourite genre. Incoherent fantasy definitely isn’t. Thanks for the review.
I totally agree with Helen; incoherency in a book is a serious turn-off for me in a book (although I do like the fantasy genre). Thanks for the great review, I know that I will be giving this a pass. :tiphat:
Jackie Holycross

madhupal2486 wrote: 07 Jun 2018, 09:03 The review is very detailed. Thank you for sharing your perspective.
I appreciate you taking the time to leave me a comment. Thanks.
Manang Muyang
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures
Bookshelf Size: 686
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-manang-muyang.html
Latest Review: Your Great Name by Shawn Funk
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by Manang Muyang »

I don't really fancy dragons and fantasy reads, but this story seems unfit even for the dragon buffs. I don't know why anyone would want to be a dragon. Perhaps smokers would be an exception.
Sanju Lali
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading: Goodbye, Rudy Kazoody
Bookshelf Size: 445
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sanju-lali.html
Latest Review: The Unfakeable Code® by Tony Jeton Selimi
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by Sanju Lali »

nice to share you valuable review which helped to see the shortcomings in the book, especially in character portraying.
your score may help the author to improve this book
life is only knowing the unknown, we can do this by reading books easily- Online book club is a great place for this. This is what I believe.
Jackie Holycross

Miriam Molina wrote: 17 Jun 2018, 21:37 I don't really fancy dragons and fantasy reads, but this story seems unfit even for the dragon buffs. I don't know why anyone would want to be a dragon. Perhaps smokers would be an exception.
I love your humor! :wink:
Manang Muyang
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures
Bookshelf Size: 686
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-manang-muyang.html
Latest Review: Your Great Name by Shawn Funk
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by Manang Muyang »

teacherjh wrote: 20 Jun 2018, 21:45
Miriam Molina wrote: 17 Jun 2018, 21:37 I don't really fancy dragons and fantasy reads, but this story seems unfit even for the dragon buffs. I don't know why anyone would want to be a dragon. Perhaps smokers would be an exception.
I love your humor! :wink:
Thanks for smiling.
Jackie Holycross

ShareTheGift wrote: 10 Jun 2018, 00:41 I think that some of this was due to the writer being Russian and the book being translated from Russian to English. Other books I have read that are similar (coming from a Russian writer) have some of these same characteristics such as the overly descriptive slower build-up and movement from one area to another. I felt that this was necessary when he was transforming from a boy into a dragon but not so much during the initial staging of the fantasy world.
You are probably right. I should read more books by international authors.
Misael Carlos
Favorite Book: The Sins of a Master Race
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 213
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-misael-carlos.html
Latest Review: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures by Catherine A. Pepe

Post by Misael Carlos »

I learned a new way of writing a review. You started with an opinion, then followed it with a summary. I like that. Happy reading to us!

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”