Review by Mabel6 -- Toni the Superhero by R.D. Base

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Mabel6
2018 Reading Goal: 25
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 60
Currently Reading: Final Notice
Bookshelf Size: 69
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mabel6.html
Latest Review: Toni the Superhero by R.D. Base

Review by Mabel6 -- Toni the Superhero by R.D. Base

Post by Mabel6 » 01 Jun 2018, 10:34

[Following is a volunteer review of "Toni the Superhero" by R.D. Base.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

This story revolves around the main character, Toni, who happens to be a superhero that enjoys doing normal everyday hobbies that most kids enjoy doing such as reading and dancing. In addition, Toni is responsible and helps his mom wash the dishes and dusts the living room.

The illustrations are fabulous and I feel would help kids learn. I really enjoyed turning page by page and admiring the clear detail and bright colors on each beautifully illustrated page. Simple short sentences made for a very easy read for kids to understand and read for the first time. I love that “Toni likes to read” is the first sentence - very appropriate.

Overall when I reading the book, I felt like I was reading sentences in no particular order and therefore not really a story as the sentences didn’t connect to form a story. For example, the story goes into the things that Toni likes to do such as read, rescue animals, and draw but I felt like these hobbies were in no particular order and I didn’t feel like the author painted a story for me. For example, the author could have separated Toni’s hobbies into different groups such as: Toni’s hobbies - reading, drawing, singing, and Toni’s kindness - rescuing animals, helping to wash dishes, sweeping, dusting, and Toni’s everyday tasks - eating, sleeping. By organizing the order of how each sentence was presented in the book, the flow of the story would easily be improved.

I think the story can be improved by including a first sentence somewhere along the lines of “This is Toni, he does extraordinary things but he also does ordinary things too.” And then include the things Toni likes to do right after. This would be a better introduction to the story.

The ending of the book was abrupt for me and I felt like it needed a few simple additional sentences to add to the story. Once I got to the last page that said “The End” I was surprised. Perhaps an additional sentence to encourage kids to help out on chores something along the lines of, “Toni makes the world a better place to live and you can too!”

Overall, the story was a very easy read and purposely wrote in a very simple writing style so young kids could learn to read on their own.

I did not find any grammatical errors in this book. I give it 3 out of 4 stars. This book would be a good match for parents who want to read to their young kids or kids learning to read by themselves for the first time. I do not recommend this book to older kids as the writing style is very simple.

Toni the Superhero
View: on Bookshelves

Like Mabel6's review? Post a comment saying so!

The BookWorm Nagham
2018 Reading Goal: 50
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 104
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 84
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-the-bookworm-nagham.html
Latest Review: Toni the Superhero by R.D. Base

Post by The BookWorm Nagham » 06 Jun 2018, 02:30

Mabel6 wrote:
01 Jun 2018, 10:34
I think the story can be improved by including a first sentence somewhere along the lines of “This is Toni, he does extraordinary things but he also does ordinary things too.” And then include the things Toni likes to do right after. This would be a better introduction to the story.

The ending of the book was abrupt for me and I felt like it needed a few simple additional sentences to add to the story. Once I got to the last page that said “The End” I was surprised. Perhaps an additional sentence to encourage kids to help out on chores something along the lines of, “Toni makes the world a better place to live and you can too!”
I never really though about that, but you make a point. The story would be by far more interesting if the author added the sentences you suggested.

BriennaiJ
Currently Reading: Island Games
Bookshelf Size: 37
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-briennaij.html
Latest Review: End of the Last Great Kingdom by Victor Rose

Post by BriennaiJ » 07 Jun 2018, 08:34

I love that this book is easy enough for beginning readers to read it on their own. Stepping stone books like this are important in the eyes of new readers! Great review.

GathuaM
2018 Reading Goal: 30
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 23
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gathuam.html
Latest Review: Strong Heart by Charlie Sheldon

Post by GathuaM » 20 Jun 2018, 08:14

I never thought about it like this. But great review. A different perspective is always welcome.
Please check out my review on the same book.

JR Mercier
2018 Reading Goal: 0
Favorite Book: The Bear and the Nightingale
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 130
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jr-mercier.html
Latest Review: Betrayal by Maggie Walsh

Post by JR Mercier » 20 Jun 2018, 13:15

Different perspectives are a great find and you make great suggestions. Great thorough review and really creative.
Dream up something wild and improbable.
-Strange The Dreamer, Laini Taylor

Kibetious
Member of the Month
2019 Reading Goal: 70
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 15
2018 Reading Goal: 100
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 49
Currently Reading: Out Of Saul~Paul
Bookshelf Size: 645
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kibetious.html
Latest Review: Mama We Made It by Karli Patterson

Post by Kibetious » 30 Jun 2018, 13:13

This is a nice review. I also like the objective opinion on how the book could have been made much better. Kids can learn a couple of lessons from Toni's everyday life.
​​​​​​He gives strength to those who are tired; to the ones who lack power, he gives renewed energy :techie-studyinggray:

Espie
Previous Member of the Month
2019 Reading Goal: 12
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 100
2018 Reading Goal: 12
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 116
Favorite Book: Behind the Barbed Wire Fence
Currently Reading: Kuimba
Bookshelf Size: 111
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-espie.html
Latest Review: Titanlord by M.G. Darwish

Post by Espie » 21 Nov 2018, 18:42

Organisation and repetition of tasks are essential in habit formation, and it's good that the piece also deals with every day things like those, too. We all could learn from each other, and we have the potentials to be superpeople to others even through our ordinary ways, especially to those in whose lives we are indispensable and irreplaceable.

Thank you for your honest review.
"Life has many different chapters for us. One bad chapter doesn't mean it's the end of the book."-Unknown
"To err is human; to forgive, divine."-Alexander Pope
"Put GOD first; He'll bless your efforts with success."-Proverbs

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”