Review by amfrecti -- The Warramunga's War by Greg Kater

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
amfrecti
Currently Reading: The Message?
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amfrecti.html
Latest Review: Timewise by Robert Leet

Review by amfrecti -- The Warramunga's War by Greg Kater

Post by amfrecti »

[Following is a volunteer review of "The Warramunga's War" by Greg Kater.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The Warramunga’s War is an action adventure set in the Middle East during WWII. Lieutenant James Munro is part of the army engineers’ unit attached to the 2/5th Battalion fighting the pro-Nazi Vichy French in Syria and Lebanon. He is pinned down by heavy fire from a machine-gun position and is saved by Corporal Jack O’Brien. Jacko goes off to deliver a list of enemy positions and Jamie is injured by shrapnel from an artillery shell, he is again saved by Jacko who carries him on his back to safety.

After being demobilized from the army, Major James Munro and Warrant Officer Jack O’Brien are assigned to the Commonwealth Investigation Service. The initial assignment for the northern CIS team involves the disappearance of two American engineers suspected of being German operatives during the war. In this part of the book we are introduced to Sarah, Jacko’s half-sister. The two prove to be expert trackers and are instrumental in capturing the gang of kidnappers.

In this, the first of a trilogy, two themes become apparent. The main focus is on the activities of Jamie Munro and his half Warramunga subordinate Jacko in the intelligence service, the other subsidiary focus is the relationship which develops between Jamie, Jacko and Sarah. Jamie thinks that Jacko possesses mystic skills and later we experience more of the Warramunga tracking skills and culture.

Consisting of 298 pages, I found this book easy to read as I was unable to detect any grammatical or typographical errors. The dialogue was where I experienced some difficulty, I thought that the speech was unnatural and consisted of wordy descriptions and explanations. The author seemed more comfortable after chapter 25 where the action moved to Darwin with Australian characters, it was noted that the dialogue became easier. The inclusion of the musical score for the Waterbag Song in chapter 30 was most odd, it appeared that the author created an opportunity to promote his song at that point.

I liked this book because it reminded me of the adventures I enjoyed reading as a teen. The plot is good and it offers a historical view of WWII from a Middle Eastern perspective. I especially liked the romantic connection between Jacko and Monique whose separation leaves us in anticipation for the later installments of the trilogy.

If the dialogue had been more realistic I would have had no choice but to give it a higher rating. I rate this book 3 out of 4 stars since I would recommend it as good reading for teens, a lower rating would not do this book justice despite the impulse of wanting to jump to the good parts.

The Warramunga's War
View: on Bookshelves

Like amfrecti's review? Post a comment saying so!
Espie
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: Behind the Barbed Wire Fence
Currently Reading: Noah's Quest
Bookshelf Size: 118
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-espie.html
Latest Review: Why Me: Trash Collector, Mental Issues by Nikolay N Bey

Post by Espie »

I wonder why there wasn't much consistency about the dialogues all throughout. I'm not looking for war-time stories at this point, and yet I've read a lot of good feedback for this piece and the rest of its series so I think they must have deserved it. Thank you for your honest review.
"Life has many different chapters for us. One bad chapter doesn't mean it's the end of the book."-Unknown
"To err is human; to forgive, divine."-Alexander Pope
"Put GOD first; He'll bless your efforts with success."-Proverbs
María Andrea Fernández Sepúlveda
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Kristin Hannah
Favorite Book: The Nightingale
Currently Reading: Intuitive Eating: A Revolutionary Anti-Diet Approach
Bookshelf Size: 2396
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mar-a-andrea-fern-ndez-sep-lveda.html
Latest Review: You Say Goodbye by Keith Steinbaum
fav_author_id: 5604

Post by María Andrea Fernández Sepúlveda »

I liked this book because it reminded me of the adventures I enjoyed reading as a teen. The plot is good and it offers a historical view of WWII from a Middle Eastern perspective.
I've read many books on WWII but I think this one offers quite a unique perspective, as you mention.
I can't say I know about the Warramunga culture, and I'm always glad to learn about other people's worldview, as I fully believe it enriches my own.
Despite the flaws you mention, seems like a good read.
Thanks for a very analytical and honest review.
Shrabastee Chakraborty
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: The Warramunga's War
Currently Reading: Timewise
Bookshelf Size: 1153
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shrabastee-chakraborty.html
Latest Review: The Infinite Passion of Life by D.J. Paolini

Post by Shrabastee Chakraborty »

Thanks for the very honest review. Having read and reviewed this book myself, I also noted the too formal dialogue presented in the book. But apart from that, I absolutely loved the read. This is indeed a good book for teens, but I feel that the adults will also enjoy this.
LV2R
Favorite Book: Crown of Crimson (The Afterlight Chronicles Book 1)
Currently Reading: Roan
Bookshelf Size: 345
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lv2r.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker

Post by LV2R »

The book has a bit of WWII history, adventure, romance, and spy elements. Jacko and Sarah's Warramunga tracking skills sound interesting as well. You wrote an interesting review. It is funny how you see the "Waterbag Song" as being odd. It is great to hear that the book was well edited.
Kajori Sheryl Paul
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading: Noah's Quest
Bookshelf Size: 975
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kajori-sheryl-paul.html
Latest Review: Alien Bonds by Carmen Webster Buxton

Post by Kajori Sheryl Paul »

I love reading anything and everything about the World Wars. It seems that this book gives a different perspective to the war.

Thank you for the detailed review.
abbiejoice
Currently Reading: Me Before You
Bookshelf Size: 38
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-abbiejoice.html
Latest Review: End of the Last Great Kingdom by Victor Rose

Post by abbiejoice »

There are many stories about World War II, but I'm glad the review pointed out that this one is from a Middle Eastern perspective.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”