Review by The BookWorm Nagham -- Toni the Superhero

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
The BookWorm Nagham
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 84
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-the-bookworm-nagham.html
Latest Review: Toni the Superhero by R.D. Base

Review by The BookWorm Nagham -- Toni the Superhero

Post by The BookWorm Nagham »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Toni the Superhero" by R.D. Base.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Nowadays, the term superhero is associated with costumes, super powers and a threat to the human race. Those heroes only exist in movies and comic books. However, books such as Toni the Superhero written by R.D. Base are giving a new definition for the word superhero.

This Children’s book revolves around Toni, a young superhero. Instead of focusing on his magical powers, the book follows Toni throughout several “normal” activities. We can see him helping his mother, doing chores around the house, rescuing a cat, eating his vegetables, reading, and even playing with his friends!

The book is written in a simple style; It is easy to read. It is suited for children beginning to learn the English language; In my opinion, it is a perfect book for a quick bedtime story. Each page contains a short sentence. This same sentence is repeated with only the ending changing, thus describing different actions. Those short, repetitive sentences do not confuse the young reader, and they help him or her to focus on the new verb he or she is learning. In addition, they are accompanied by drawings that often cover two pages. The illustrations help to understand the described activity. And they can clearly be understood without reading the accompanying words.

A superhero is a great choice for the main character, I think that it really catches the attention of children. It doesn’t matter if they are girls or boys, this book is suited for both. Superheroes are perceived as role models; most children will look up to them. By showing Toni doing regular chores and activities, R.D. Base is teaching young children good morals and values. Children will find themselves relating to the tasks Toni is doing.

I haven’t read a children’s book in a long time, and it is my first time reviewing one. At first, I thought that it was a silly book, rather useless. But then, I tried to read it again with a child’s eyes. That’s when I found many benefits to reading this story: Toni is a good example to children, he assists his mom in domestic work, he likes to help animals, he eats well, and has a good time in the playground. He reminds us that superheroes exist. They do not always have special powers, but if we look really well we can see them. Each and every one of us can be a hero by being a decent human being.

I really liked the fact that Toni does not use his powers throughout the whole book. When he plays with his friends, even though he is wearing his superhero costume, he follows the same rules. This makes him even more relatable. Moreover, Toni is dark skinned, we do not encounter a lot of dark skinned heroes, so it is a nice change especially in a children's book. Plus, parents do not want to read meaningless books to their children, they want books packed with good morals and lessons; Toni the Superhero is one of them.

The colors that are used in the illustrations are vivid and attractive, although the drawings can get better. As an architecture student I couldn’t help but notice that some drawings were out of proportion and drawn at an impossible angle. Nonetheless, I rate this book 4 out of 4 stars. I did not find any spelling mistakes, the plot of the story is clear, easy to grasp. I am glad I have added Toni the Superhero to my library, it is definitely a book that I would recommend to new parents.

Toni the Superhero
View: on Bookshelves

Like The BookWorm Nagham's review? Post a comment saying so!
Jackie Holycross
Currently Reading: The 7 Experiment
Bookshelf Size: 306
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-teacherjh.html
Latest Review: 20 World Religions and Faith Practices by Robyn Lebron

Post by Jackie Holycross »

This sounds like a great kids book. I love how he helps his mom too.
JJNP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 60
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jjnp.html
Latest Review: The Seduction of Religion by Paul Singh
Reading Device: B00BWYQ9YE

Post by JJNP »

I really liked your review of this. The great thing about the site is that we can all read a book and then angle and word our reviews differently, and all the reviews are relevant contributions. I like the fact that you pointed out that Toni was a dark-skinned hero and there aren't enough of those, I wouldn't have even thought of it.
It is a good book, I hope that the author is producing many more well-crafted books like this one.
BriennaiJ
Currently Reading: Island Games
Bookshelf Size: 42
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-briennaij.html
Latest Review: If Life Stinks, Get Your Head Outta Your But's by Mark L. Wdowiak

Post by BriennaiJ »

It's nice that the colors were vibrant, I hope that the overall art does improve for this author. It is always interesting to hear criticism from someone that actually knows about angles and proportions.
Helen_Combe
Favorite Book: The Martian
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 193
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-helen-combe.html
Latest Review: And The Trees Began To Move by Lisa Gammon Olson
Reading Device: B00M4L4MFC

Post by Helen_Combe »

Great review. I see that you felt the same as I did with this book. I also gave it 4 stars.
A thesaurus is necessary, essential, indispensable, vital, crucial and fundamental.
The BookWorm Nagham
Currently Reading:

teacherjh wrote: 04 Jun 2018, 09:12 This sounds like a great kids book. I love how he helps his mom too.
Toni is a great example for kids, he really is a role model. Thank you for reading!
The BookWorm Nagham
Currently Reading:

JJNP wrote: 06 Jun 2018, 13:08 I really liked your review of this. The great thing about the site is that we can all read a book and then angle and word our reviews differently, and all the reviews are relevant contributions. I like the fact that you pointed out that Toni was a dark-skinned hero and there aren't enough of those, I wouldn't have even thought of it.
It is a good book, I hope that the author is producing many more well-crafted books like this one.
Exactly! Anyone can write his opinion and stuff he/she noticed about a book. A lot of times when I read reviews of books I already read I encounter a new thought or perspective and it helps me understand the book more, or change my mind completely.
The BookWorm Nagham
Currently Reading:

BriennaiJ wrote: 07 Jun 2018, 08:23 It's nice that the colors were vibrant, I hope that the overall art does improve for this author. It is always interesting to hear criticism from someone that actually knows about angles and proportions.
The colors were a nice touch, I really hope the drawings will get better in her future books.
The BookWorm Nagham
Currently Reading:

Helen_Combe wrote: 13 Jun 2018, 04:34 Great review. I see that you felt the same as I did with this book. I also gave it 4 stars.
Thank you :D I'll definitely check out your review of the book!
Connie Otwani
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 200
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cotwani.html
Latest Review: The Fisherman and his Foundlings by Phillip Leighton-Daly

Post by Connie Otwani »

I agree that parents do not want to read meaningless books to their children, they want books packed with good morals and lessons. Showing Toni the superhero eating his vegetables maybe one of the greatest gifts the author will give to parents! Great review!
There is more treasure in books than in all the pirates’ loot on Treasure Island!
-Walt Disney
Precious Lander
Currently Reading: Quest: Finding Freddie
Bookshelf Size: 13

Post by Precious Lander »

This book is nice, but sometimes superhero don't wear Cape's,I would read this to my kids,I love the beginning an also the end

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”