Review by AmySmiles -- That Place of Knowledge

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
AmySmiles
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 146
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amysmiles.html
Latest Review: Letters From The War by Amanda Bryant

Review by AmySmiles -- That Place of Knowledge

Post by AmySmiles » 31 May 2018, 14:19

[Following is a volunteer review of "That Place of Knowledge" by Philip Alan Shalka.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

That Place of Knowledge by Philip Alan Shalka is a fiction book written from the perspective of an autism assistance dog named Sabre.

Have you ever wondered what life is like for someone with autism? I have myself because I know a young boy with autism. This book will give you a tiny glimpse into that world. Sabre is a trained assistance dog, specifically intended to help someone with autism. While the book is written by his owner Philip Alan Shalka, That Place of Knowledge is written from Sabre’s point of view.

From the time he was born Sabre knew that he was meant for something, or more importantly, someone special. He couldn’t wait to finish his training so that he could do what he knew he was meant to do. Sabre tells a couple of tales of them going to a hidden location that is a secret city, where they find Aristotle and have conversations with the philosopher. These conversations are quite profound and hold a lot of value as they talk about the big questions of life.

This book is so short, just 28 pages, and left me wanting so much more. I mean that I enjoyed it so much that I didn’t want it to end when it did. The book was so relaxed that I felt like I was right there with Philip, Sabre, and Aristotle having a conversation myself. Not only was it an enjoyable read, but the book also gave you a lot to ponder regarding the topics brought up in their discussions.

The book is well written, an engaging read, and thought-provoking. While you might expect a book with a well-known philosopher to be more technical, it was really quite the opposite. I would never have guessed that the book was written by an autistic, young gentleman who is only 15 years old. I can’t believe how insightful this book is for someone who has just begun their life journey. I hope that he continues to write more books and share his wealth of knowledge with the world because if this first book is any indication of the future work he will bring, I can’t imagine how much more he has to share.

I am rating this book 4 out of 4 stars. A beautiful, insightful, and thoughtful read, how much more can a reader ask for? I am recommending everyone read this book. It won’t take you very long, and it will leave you wanting more, in a good way.

That Place of Knowledge
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like AmySmiles's review? Post a comment saying so!
Anyone who says they have only one life to live must not know how to read a book.
–Author Unknown

gen_g
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 41
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gen-g.html
Latest Review: Best Evidence by Mark S. Osaki

Post by gen_g » 01 Jun 2018, 11:58

Thanks for the review! This seems like a very insightful read, and actually reminds me of a book I previously reviewed, titled Just a Shelter Dog, which is also about autism. I am definitely putting this on my to-read list!

kfwilson6
2018 Reading Goal: 100
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 87
Currently Reading: The Shadow Rising (Wheel of Time, #4)
Bookshelf Size: 285
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kfwilson6.html
Latest Review: The Sparrow by Denna M. Davis
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by kfwilson6 » 01 Jun 2018, 22:35

Wow I did not realize when I previously saw this book that an autistic teen had written it. I didn't even know 15 year olds knew the name Aristotle. This sounds very interesting. I'm glad you enjoyed it so much.

Brittany J
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-brittany-j.html
Latest Review: Final Notice by Van Fleisher

Post by Brittany J » 02 Jun 2018, 12:00

This sounds like a really interesting book with a unique perspective. Thanks for the review.

teacherjh
2018 Reading Goal: 48
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 89
Currently Reading: The 7 Experiment
Bookshelf Size: 289
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-teacherjh.html
Latest Review: In the Grip of God by George Cargill

Post by teacherjh » 02 Jun 2018, 16:17

This sounds so amazing - telling the story from the service dog's point of view makes it accessible to younger readers. I can't believe it was so short.

AmySmiles
Currently Reading:

Post by AmySmiles » 30 Jun 2018, 10:11

gen_g wrote: ↑
01 Jun 2018, 11:58
Thanks for the review! This seems like a very insightful read, and actually reminds me of a book I previously reviewed, titled Just a Shelter Dog, which is also about autism. I am definitely putting this on my to-read list!
I hope you do read it. I think everyone should. I was actually told by the editor of my review that I shouldn't have recommend everyone read it, but I truly think it would be useful for everyone. Thanks for the comment.
Anyone who says they have only one life to live must not know how to read a book.
–Author Unknown

AmySmiles
Currently Reading:

Post by AmySmiles » 30 Jun 2018, 10:11

kfwilson6 wrote: ↑
01 Jun 2018, 22:35
Wow I did not realize when I previously saw this book that an autistic teen had written it. I didn't even know 15 year olds knew the name Aristotle. This sounds very interesting. I'm glad you enjoyed it so much.
I would have never have guessed it either. Thanks for the comment!
–Author Unknown

AmySmiles
Currently Reading:

Post by AmySmiles » 30 Jun 2018, 10:12

Brittany J wrote: ↑
02 Jun 2018, 12:00
This sounds like a really interesting book with a unique perspective. Thanks for the review.
Thanks for the comment!
–Author Unknown

AmySmiles
Currently Reading:

Post by AmySmiles » 30 Jun 2018, 10:13

teacherjh wrote: ↑
02 Jun 2018, 16:17
This sounds so amazing - telling the story from the service dog's point of view makes it accessible to younger readers. I can't believe it was so short.
I know I wish it would have had a couple more stories. Thanks for the comment!
–Author Unknown

Bonnie Shelby
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 77
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bonnie-shelby.html
Latest Review: Apollo's Raven by Linnea Tanner
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by Bonnie Shelby » 20 Jul 2018, 17:28

I know several kids with autism as well, so this short read looks like an insightful book that I should definitely pick up. Thank you for your review! :)

AmySmiles
Currently Reading:

Post by AmySmiles » 20 Jul 2018, 18:57

Bonnie Shelby wrote: ↑
20 Jul 2018, 17:28
I know several kids with autism as well, so this short read looks like an insightful book that I should definitely pick up. Thank you for your review! :)
Yes you definitely should, I don't believe you will regret it. Thanks for commenting.
–Author Unknown

Julie Green
2018 Reading Goal: 25
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 68
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 42
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-julie-green.html
Latest Review: 37 tons by david victorson

Post by Julie Green » 22 Jul 2018, 03:19

This sounds like a wonderful book. I will be adding this book to my bookshelves on the basis of your great review.

AmySmiles
Currently Reading:

Post by AmySmiles » 22 Jul 2018, 07:35

Julie Green wrote: ↑
22 Jul 2018, 03:19
This sounds like a wonderful book. I will be adding this book to my bookshelves on the basis of your great review.
It really is, I'm glad you will read it! Thanks for commenting!
–Author Unknown

melissy370
2018 Reading Goal: 50
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 80
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 100
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-melissy370.html
Latest Review: The Right to Nominate by Thomas E Peterson
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by melissy370 » 22 Jul 2018, 18:40

It is impressive that someone that young of age can write a book and on top of that, have autism. Good review.

AmySmiles
Currently Reading:

Post by AmySmiles » 22 Jul 2018, 21:59

melissy370 wrote: ↑
22 Jul 2018, 18:40
It is impressive that someone that young of age can write a book and on top of that, have autism. Good review.
Yes, for sure. Thanks for the comment.
–Author Unknown

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”