Review by Sarah Tariq -- And Then I Met Margaret

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Ashiyya Tariq
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 235
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ashiyya-tariq.html
Latest Review: Deadly Waters: The Vietnam Naval War And Its Aftermath by Randy Miller
Reading Device: PDF

Review by Sarah Tariq -- And Then I Met Margaret

Post by Ashiyya Tariq »

[Following is a volunteer review of "And Then I Met Margaret" by Rob White.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

I have read many self-help books written by professional mentors who teach self-enrichment techniques to achieve the life of fulfillment. However, Then I Met Margaret by Rob White holds the distinction in a way that it introduces some ordinary people or “gurus” who show you a new way of life.

Then I Met Margaret is a motivational memoir by Rob White, who started his life from a small village with limited opportunities for education and career growth. He managed to reach the University of Massachusetts through hard work. He embarked on his professional life as a teacher and later on entered into the real estate and restaurant business. Despite accomplishing his goal of a “wealthy person,” his inner emptiness compelled him to seek help from some qualified gurus who could embolden his life with true happiness. However, his futile efforts made him convince that ordinary people whom you encounter in life can teach much more than these “professional mentors.”

This life-changing self-help book contains twenty-one chapters. In each chapter, the author shares a new story of his self-enrichment journey, which starts with a myth and after getting the novel experience about the life he rewrites it in the light of his newly acquired self-transforming experience. Each story unfolds with a new motivational lesson that can enlighten your life and help you understand that how we consider life and how it should be. In fact, we can learn much more from these ordinary people who are leading a contented life despite their humble background.

The story of a Maasai mother has been the most inspiring for me. This ordinary woman displayed profound insight into life. After reading this book, you become convinced that wisdom is not restricted to the high-profile academic degrees. Sometimes, even an illiterate man or woman teaches you something extraordinary which you can’t learn from books or high standard institutions.

The overriding theme of this book is to discover the true meaning of life through learning from your mistakes or by getting guidance from the ordinary gurus which time to time come in your life. The author reminds us that we should be open-minded to absorb those teachings which can illuminate our lives with new hope.

The book format is comfortable and easy to understand. The writing style of the author is very entertaining and impressive. I couldn’t detect any flaw except the title which doesn’t adequately represent the book theme. Overall the book is professionally edited. Therefore, I rate this book 4 out of 4 stars. I would recommend this book to everyone who wants motivational support in his or her life to move forward. This inspiring book would serve as a guiding star to your road to success.

And Then I Met Margaret
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like Sarah Tariq's review? Post a comment saying so!
Make your ideals high enough to inspire you and low enough to encourage you.

📕📖📰📓📕
melissy370
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 124
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-melissy370.html
Latest Review: Home To Kentucky by Thomas A. McCoy
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by melissy370 »

I don't agree with some of the author's philosophy, but his writing style is engaging and accessible. Glad you enjoyed it though. Thanks for the review.
Brittany J
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-brittany-j.html
Latest Review: Final Notice by Van Fleisher

Post by Brittany J »

I enjoyed this book a lot too. I didn't particularly view it as a self-help book but more as inspirational story telling. I like the the author wasn't directly telling you what you should do. It felt very conversational to me. Nice review!
Jackie Holycross
Currently Reading: The 7 Experiment
Bookshelf Size: 306
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-teacherjh.html
Latest Review: 20 World Religions and Faith Practices by Robyn Lebron

Post by Jackie Holycross »

I enjoyed the sample of this one when it was BOTD.
Ashiyya Tariq
Currently Reading:
Latest Review: Deadly Waters: The Vietnam Naval War And Its Aftermath by Randy Miller

Post by Ashiyya Tariq »

melissy370 wrote: 02 Jun 2018, 07:13 I don't agree with some of the author's philosophy, but his writing style is engaging and accessible. Glad you enjoyed it though. Thanks for the review.
Thanks for your feedback, melissy!

📕📖📰📓📕
Ashiyya Tariq
Currently Reading:

Post by Ashiyya Tariq »

Brittany J wrote: 02 Jun 2018, 11:50 I enjoyed this book a lot too. I didn't particularly view it as a self-help book but more as inspirational story telling. I like the the author wasn't directly telling you what you should do. It felt very conversational to me. Nice review!
Yes, it's a very interesting book. The story telling way of the author never let you get bored.
Thanks for your feedback.

📕📖📰📓📕
Nimat87
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 33
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nimat87.html
Latest Review: Man Mission by Eytan Uliel
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Nimat87 »

I've read lots of positive reviews on this book. It sounds like an engaging read. Thanks for your detailed and interesting review.
'We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act but a habit. '
-Will Durant, The Story of Philosophy (1926).
:eusa-think: :clap: :escribir:
Connie Otwani
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 200
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cotwani.html
Latest Review: The Fisherman and his Foundlings by Phillip Leighton-Daly

Post by Connie Otwani »

I keep hoping to read this book, but I'm yet to get there. Thanks for this insightful review. It has reminded of the saying 'education is what remains after one forgets all they learned in class.'
There is more treasure in books than in all the pirates’ loot on Treasure Island!
-Walt Disney
The BookWorm Nagham
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 84
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-the-bookworm-nagham.html
Latest Review: Toni the Superhero by R.D. Base

Post by The BookWorm Nagham »

I'm glad you enjoyed the book, it really is insightful and gives us a new perspective. I have also reviewed this book, check it out if you want.
alisonedgee
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alisonedgee.html
Latest Review: Lemoncella Cocktail by Rene Natan

Post by alisonedgee »

so awkward, i think i’m the only person on this website who hates this book. glad you could take something away from it though. funnily enough, i think the title might be the only thing i liked. oh no.
Ashiyya Tariq
Currently Reading:

Post by Ashiyya Tariq »

The BookWorm Nagham wrote: 06 Jun 2018, 04:34 I'm glad you enjoyed the book, it really is insightful and gives us a new perspective. I have also reviewed this book, check it out if you want.
Sure, I will check it out. Thanks for your feedback.

📕📖📰📓📕
Helen_Combe
Favorite Book: The Martian
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 193
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-helen-combe.html
Latest Review: And The Trees Began To Move by Lisa Gammon Olson
Reading Device: B00M4L4MFC

Post by Helen_Combe »

Nice review. I agree that you can learn far more from ordinary people than professional gurus.
A thesaurus is necessary, essential, indispensable, vital, crucial and fundamental.
Ashiyya Tariq
Currently Reading:

Post by Ashiyya Tariq »

alisonedgee wrote: 06 Jun 2018, 13:23 so awkward, i think i’m the only person on this website who hates this book. glad you could take something away from it though. funnily enough, i think the title might be the only thing i liked. oh no.
Much interesting :D. Can I ask the reason for this? Usually such books offer same sort of stuff that one may dislike. Thanks for your interesting feedback.

📕📖📰📓📕
Ashiyya Tariq
Currently Reading:

Post by Ashiyya Tariq »

teacherjh wrote: 02 Jun 2018, 17:51 I enjoyed the sample of this one when it was BOTD.

📕📖📰📓📕
Ashiyya Tariq
Currently Reading:

Post by Ashiyya Tariq »

Nimat87 wrote: 04 Jun 2018, 02:15 I've read lots of positive reviews on this book. It sounds like an engaging read. Thanks for your detailed and interesting review.

📕📖📰📓📕

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”