Review by melissy370 -- Serendipity Mystery by R.F. Kristi

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
melissy370
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 124
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-melissy370.html
Latest Review: Home To Kentucky by Thomas A. McCoy
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Review by melissy370 -- Serendipity Mystery by R.F. Kristi

Post by melissy370 »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Serendipity Mystery" by R.F. Kristi.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Serendipity Mystery by R. F. Kristi is the seventh installment in the Diary of a Snoopy Cat series.  Elementary children from the ages of seven to twelve would be interested in this book, and it can be read with the others in the series or alone.   In the opening, a family tree is included and to explain the detective agency there is a statement about each animal who is associated with it. In this book, Inca and her family are on holiday in Sri Lanka when they receive news about a stolen antique sword from a museum.  Being the detective feline she is, Inca sets out, with the support of old and new friends, to apprehend the crooks.   Along with the missing sword, we further see Inca face her long-lost cousin the leopard and encounter rowdy monkeys on a safari.  

This is my first in this series to read, and I thoroughly enjoyed it.  I love cats and mysteries, and when the two are together, it becomes a winning combination for me.  I liked how each creature had their own distinguished personality.  Inca is the inquisitive one. Fromage is fun loving but continuously finds himself in trouble. Cara appreciates the more beautiful things in life. And Terrence is a dog ready to help solve any case.  My favorite was Fromage who had a weakness for cheese.  He informs his family they can have all the food they want in the basket and he will handle the cheese.  It never crossed his mind that some may not like that idea.

Along with crime solving, there are themes of teamwork and courage as well.  Inca encounters some harrowing experiences, and it is through her friends and her resolve that pull her through.  Also sprinkled throughout are cultural and historical aspects of Sri Lanka.  Inca and her family take a trip to a tea plantation, and the local attire of saris and sarongs are mentioned.  Wildlife native to that island is discussed, giving the reader a general impression of all of what the country has to offer.  I liked how the author used the story to broaden young readers' worldview and perception of themselves.  

I have only a few negatives to say about the tale.  The sentences at times were overly descriptive like "the beach was one long, golden sand belt leading to the frothy waves that were shared by both."  There was one error with a missing word.  Also, the format in my kindle edition was inconsistent in the headers for each day of Inca's journal.  Most were separated into a gray box to delineate from rest of the text, but a few were not.    

I give Serendipity Mystery a three out of four stars.  There were cute illustrations throughout that added to the narrative.  There weren't as many as I would have liked, but what was there was fun to look at.    I think this is an entertaining book for children and perfect for learning along the way.  Despite the minor flaws, R. F. Kristi delivers a great addition to the Snoopy Cat series.  

Serendipity Mystery
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like melissy370's review? Post a comment saying so!
Ashiyya Tariq
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 235
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ashiyya-tariq.html
Latest Review: Deadly Waters: The Vietnam Naval War And Its Aftermath by Randy Miller
Reading Device: PDF

Post by Ashiyya Tariq »

This book offers different themes as compared to other children books. I like the idea that the author has written it from the wild life security's perspective. I would like to read this book. Thanks for this nice review.
Make your ideals high enough to inspire you and low enough to encourage you.

📕📖📰📓📕
Dolor
Favorite Author: Craig R. Key
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12472
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dolor.html
Latest Review: The Center of Gravity by Patricia Brandon
Reading Device: 1400697484
fav_author_id: 115430

Post by Dolor »

I have read great reviews from this book's series. I'm glad Inca and her family were on a holiday in Sri Lanka.

In this book series, Inca's task is to find the stolen antique sword from a museum.

Oh, she met her long-lost cousin, the leopard.

I wonder what she felt with the rowdy monkeys on a safari.

I find this series interesting. Thanks for the detailed review.
LV2R
Favorite Book: Crown of Crimson (The Afterlight Chronicles Book 1)
Currently Reading: Roan
Bookshelf Size: 345
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lv2r.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker

Post by LV2R »

This is my first in this series to read, and I thoroughly enjoyed it. I love cats and mysteries, and when the two are together, it becomes a winning combination for me. I liked how each creature had their own distinguished personality. Inca is the inquisitive one. Fromage is fun loving but continuously finds himself in trouble. Cara appreciates the more beautiful things in life. And Terrence is a dog ready to help solve any case. My favorite was Fromage who had a weakness for cheese. He informs his family they can have all the food they want in the basket and he will handle the cheese. It never crossed his mind that some may not like that idea.
I liked how you added the different animals' characteristics to your review. I actually didn't know that cats like cheese. I liked how the author added some cultural things in the book to learn about Sri Lanka.
Laura Ungureanu
Favorite Book: The Book Thief
Currently Reading: The Guardians of Erum and the Calamitous Child of Socotra
Bookshelf Size: 1392
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-laura-ungureanu.html
Latest Review: Love and Marriage by Arthur Hartz

Post by Laura Ungureanu »

I like that you said a few things about each cat. They should all be important, not only Inca. Nice review!

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”