Review by liftedbooks -- Illustrated Short Fiction of Wi...

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
liftedbooks
Currently Reading: The Ansgar Treasury
Bookshelf Size: 55
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-liftedbooks.html
Latest Review: The Embalmer by Vincent Zandri

Review by liftedbooks -- Illustrated Short Fiction of Wi...

Post by liftedbooks »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Illustrated Short Fiction of William H. Coles: 2000-2016" by William H. Coles.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Lovers and likers of short stories, perhaps even novellas, are guaranteed to be intrigued by this fictional short story collection by William H. Coles: Illustrated Short Fiction of William H. Coles 2000-2016.

The book captivated me from beginning to end; I couldn’t put it down until I had finished reading all the stories compiled in this collection. William H. Coles is a seasoned writer whose books and stories have won no less than thirty-six awards in the Flannery O’Conner Award for Short Fiction, The William Faulkner Creative Writing Competition, and others. Furthermore, as a former ophthalmic trauma surgeon, the author’s experience has only benefited him in creating intensely dramatic stories and characters.

The author’s reputation and awards are well earned, demonstrated once again through this assemblage of thirty-three short stories, two graphic novels illustrated by Patrick Healy, and a novella.

The stories depict the impact strangers have on us, characters dropping unwittingly into the laps of ruthless and immoral people, and some others trapped in events that they cannot control. The emblematic images do not only compliment the stories, but also the author’s exceptional visual writing style.

All the stories were not particularly enjoyable; my favorites, however include short stories ‘The Necklace’, ‘The Gift’, and the novella ‘Sister Carrie’. I cannot fault the author’s writing, as he has a beautiful way of painting a picture with words and I was never bored at any time. Clearly the book was also well edited because I didn’t find any typos, errors, or grammatical blunders.

I do wish that some of the stories had a happier ending, or, like some other reviewers noted, would continue and not make me feel like I had missed something somewhere. ‘The Wreck of the Amtrak’s Silver Service’ for example, left me with a few questions that I am not quite sure has any answers. ‘Suchin’s Escape’ on the other hand is a story I should never have read. Never has a story left me so angry, disappointed and miserable; I was sincerely hoping for a different outcome.

The author is to be commended for his brilliant work in this edition, short stories don’t come much better than this. Based on my experience in reading this book, the writing, and the editing, I rate this book 4 out of 4 stars. I recommend it to anyone who enjoys short stories and novellas, and those who have read any of William H. Coles’s stories.

Illustrated Short Fiction of William H. Coles: 2000-2016
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon | on iTunes | on Smashwords

Like liftedbooks's review? Post a comment saying so!
liftedbooks

Post by liftedbooks »

nyathireviewer wrote: 11 Jun 2018, 10:55 It is a very thorough review. I would like to read this book, it sounds very interesting.
Thank you for reading my review! You should definitely give this book a try. Enjoy!
JR Mercier
Favorite Book: The Bear and the Nightingale
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 129
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jr-mercier.html
Latest Review: Betrayal by Maggie Walsh

Post by JR Mercier »

I was shocked to read that the author was a surgeoun. I can't imagine how much that must impact his writing. You wrote a great review and I'll definitely be checking it out.
Dream up something wild and improbable.
-Strange The Dreamer, Laini Taylor
liftedbooks

Post by liftedbooks »

JR Mercier wrote: 20 Jun 2018, 13:06 I was shocked to read that the author was a surgeoun. I can't imagine how much that must impact his writing. You wrote a great review and I'll definitely be checking it out.
It is a great book and the author's experience definitely shines through. I only wish some of his stories would have better endings, but that's probably just because I prefer fairy-tale endings 😆. Let me know what you think of the book when you have finished it. Thank you for reading and replying!
Rafaella Michailidou
Currently Reading: Dark Places
Bookshelf Size: 71
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rafaella-michailidou.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman

Post by Rafaella Michailidou »

I loved your review! I personally found some stories that I just couldn't understand their plot like "the bear" do you have any idea what that story was about?
“All the secrets of the world are contained in books. Read at your own risk.”
― Lemony Snicket
liftedbooks

Post by liftedbooks »

Sen_Suzumiya wrote: 01 Sep 2018, 18:04 I loved your review! I personally found some stories that I just couldn't understand their plot like "the bear" do you have any idea what that story was about?
🤣🤣 No I absolutely do not know.
Oulababe
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-oulababe.html
Latest Review: Invisible Me by H M Irwing

Post by Oulababe »

I don't like that the stories don't deliver a happy ending. The author's achievements are however impressive.
Rafaella Michailidou
Currently Reading: Dark Places
Bookshelf Size: 71
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rafaella-michailidou.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman

Post by Rafaella Michailidou »

liftedbooks wrote: 18 Sep 2018, 07:15
Sen_Suzumiya wrote: 01 Sep 2018, 18:04 I loved your review! I personally found some stories that I just couldn't understand their plot like "the bear" do you have any idea what that story was about?
🤣🤣 No I absolutely do not know.
Haha, thank you! I thought I was the only one!
“All the secrets of the world are contained in books. Read at your own risk.”
― Lemony Snicket
bookreviewmi1111
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 44
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookreviewmi1111.html
Latest Review: Creating Literary Stories: A Fiction Writer's Guide by William H. Coles

Post by bookreviewmi1111 »

The stories in this book were short, but all of them have pretty deep meaning that not easy to find in many other books. Beautiful review!

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”