Review by dgallois -- The Broadcast by Liam Fialkov

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
dgallois
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 147
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dgallois.html
Latest Review: Betrayal of Faith by Mark M. Bello
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Review by dgallois -- The Broadcast by Liam Fialkov

Post by dgallois »

[Following is a volunteer review of "The Broadcast" by Liam Fialkov.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The Broadcast by Liam Fialkov is a wonderfully surprising mystery thriller. The book gets its name from a television show that is a bit of a mystery itself. It begins with some crime solving videos that surface years after the crimes. The video footage is an accurate record of the events from these crimes and leads to the arrests of the guilty parties. The series moves on to display accurate videos of historic events as if they were each filmed at the time they occurred.

The book is much more than just the television broadcasts. It is written as a present-day story about three main characters Sarah, Jonathan and Michael. Each character has come from different backgrounds and different life experiences that have made them who they are today. Sarah is suffering with infertility in her adult life after a teen pregnancy and is hoping to reconnect with her child. Jonathan was 2 years old when he lost his parents in a car accident that he survived. Michael was adopted at birth and was loved very much by his adoptive family but is curious about his birth parents.

There are numerous other characters throughout the story, like Jonathan’s brother Walter and Sarah’s sister Julie. The reader is given enough information for the supporting characters history that you know them and what role they play in the main characters’ lives and with the story.

I like the way the author organized the book. It was easy to get to know each character and kept me intrigued to the very end. I found myself trying to figure out who was responsible for the videos. And although I did figure out who, I did not have the method figured out so was surprised at the end. It was also a nice touch that the author gives you some closure at the end of the book with the Epilogue. There is nothing I disliked about this book. I recommend this book at anyone that loves a good mystery.

I give this book a 4 out of 4 stars because it is well written and appears professionally edited. I did find a few errors but they did not take away from the story. I believe this would be a good read for all ages. The not so nice pieces of each character’s story are explained well but not in a graphic way. I also believe it would be a good book for anyone that believes in a higher power whether they like the mystery genre or not.

The Broadcast
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like dgallois's review? Post a comment saying so!
Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn ~ Benjamin Franklin
kfwilson6
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Lord of Chaos
Bookshelf Size: 298
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kfwilson6.html
Latest Review: The Stone Wall Crossing by Alice Schellhorn Magrane
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by kfwilson6 »

I really have been wanting to read this since I saw it as book of the day. I can't wait to find out how the videos are being made. I know I would be the type of person to be 100% skeptical. With technology so advanced, anything can be faked these days. Glad to know it is as enjoyable as I have been anticipating.
Jackie Holycross
Currently Reading: The 7 Experiment
Bookshelf Size: 306
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-teacherjh.html
Latest Review: 20 World Religions and Faith Practices by Robyn Lebron

Post by Jackie Holycross »

I'm planning on reading this one. It sounds pretty intriguing.
Kimmyheartlovequeen_
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Kimmyheartlovequeen_ »

Exciting to know what it's about especially I'm very keen on reading an watching about crimes and solve the issues!
dgallois
Currently Reading:

Post by dgallois »

kfwilson6 wrote: 01 Jun 2018, 12:48 I really have been wanting to read this since I saw it as book of the day. I can't wait to find out how the videos are being made. I know I would be the type of person to be 100% skeptical. With technology so advanced, anything can be faked these days. Glad to know it is as enjoyable as I have been anticipating.
I hope you enjoy it as much as I did. It was one of the "can't put down" because you wanted to find out what happens next.
Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn ~ Benjamin Franklin
dgallois
Currently Reading:

Post by dgallois »

teacherjh wrote: 01 Jun 2018, 19:38 I'm planning on reading this one. It sounds pretty intriguing.
I thought it was pretty good. I hope you enjoy it.
thaservices1
Favorite Book: Nightlord: Sunset
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 89
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-thaservices1.html
Latest Review: ChatGPT for Entrepreneurs by Steven A. Ridder

Post by thaservices1 »

Good review. I read this book in one sitting. It was hard to put down, very mysterious.
"It is not the critic that counts..."
- Roosevelt
Dael Reader
Currently Reading: The Story of Arthur Truluv
Bookshelf Size: 53
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dael-reader.html
Latest Review: Extraordinary Stories From Everyday People (and me) by Les Clark
Reading Device: 1400697484

Post by Dael Reader »

I read this one and thought it was a prime example of a great idea poorly executed, with stilted dialogue, distracting mechanical errors, and nice themes that simply didn't weave together well. But I enjoyed your review. It's always interesting to see what other people have to say about a book, especially when opinions differ.
dgallois
Currently Reading:

Post by dgallois »

Dael Reader wrote: 17 Jun 2018, 13:59 I read this one and thought it was a prime example of a great idea poorly executed, with stilted dialogue, distracting mechanical errors, and nice themes that simply didn't weave together well. But I enjoyed your review. It's always interesting to see what other people have to say about a book, especially when opinions differ.
Thank you and I also like to see how other people felt about the books I have read. I see you are currently reading another one that I have reviewed. I will be looking forward to reading your review of Superhighway.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”