Review by Riszell -- Serendipity Mystery by R.F. Kristi

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Riszell
Currently Reading: The Vanished
Bookshelf Size: 1041
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-riszell.html
Latest Review: Chancing Hope by Lisa Slater

Review by Riszell -- Serendipity Mystery by R.F. Kristi

Post by Riszell »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Serendipity Mystery" by R.F. Kristi.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Serendipity Mystery is the 7th standalone book in the Diary of a Snoopy Cat series written by R.F. Kristi and illustrated by Jorge Valle. It is an illustrated children’s book about Inca, a Siberian Detective Kitty who heads a detective team called Inca & Company. Her team is composed of her feline siblings and other furry friends. While she and her family spend the holidays in Sri Lanka, she hears that a valuable, antique sword has been stolen from the main museum in the city. Being the snoopy detective cat that she is, she felt that this theft mystery suits her abilities and decided to investigate the case. With her detective team and with a help from their new animal friends, can she recover this missing national treasure? Will she have a chance to oust the thief from stealing the valuable sword? What other discoveries will she make or encounter by chance in the land of serendipity?

In Inca's own words and through her thoughts, the author offers a perspective on the mysteries in the heart of the jungle and the many wonders and places that can be explored in Sri Lanka. I enjoyed reading Inca's adventures and misadventures which either led her to or away from finding the sword.

I had a fun time reading this entertaining story which provides values - friendship and teamwork. The book substantiates that having different cultures is not a hindrance to make new friends. The book virtually demonstrates that everyone has their own skills and potentials to contribute and be of a great help to each other. The storyline is easy to follow with clear examples and illustrations of what different animals can do.

The colored pictures are very artistic and they bring this enjoyable story to life. I liked the way the color of the fur and their clothes or accessories make it easy to differentiate and identify the characters. They are very adorable and their facial expressions are very amusing. This made the book more interesting and fun to read. I was actually looking forward to see the next pictures as I flipped the pages.

I found only a couple of typographical errors and they are very unnoticeable.

I give this book the highest rating, 4 out of 4 stars. I totally enjoyed it. I finished it in one sitting only. It is an interesting read which shares values and cultural experiences. Children ages 7-12 would enjoy this book due to the simple but exciting plot and the words used are very easy to understand. I would also recommend it to adults who love animals, detective stories and jungle adventures.

Serendipity Mystery
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like Riszell's review? Post a comment saying so!
bookowlie
Special Discussion Leader
Favorite Book: The Lost Continent
Currently Reading: The Night She Went Missing
Bookshelf Size: 442
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookowlie.html
Latest Review: To Paint A Murder by E. J. Gandolfo

Post by bookowlie »

I enjoyed reading your opinions, especially since I also read and reviewed this book. :) You made a good point about how the color of the fur and the animals' clothing made it easy to identify the different characters. I just wish there had been more illustrations in the story!
"The best way out is always through" - Robert Frost
Riszell

Post by Riszell »

Thank you for posting a comment! :tiphat:
Last edited by Riszell on 31 May 2018, 06:59, edited 1 time in total.
Riszell

Post by Riszell »

bookowlie wrote: 29 May 2018, 08:39 I enjoyed reading your opinions, especially since I also read and reviewed this book. :) You made a good point about how the color of the fur and the animals' clothing made it easy to identify the different characters. I just wish there had been more illustrations in the story!
Thank you for the comment. :tiphat: I wished the same about the illustrations. :D
Heidi M Simone
Official Reviewer Representative
Favorite Book: Harry Potter
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 559
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-heidi-m-simone.html
Latest Review: GPS para el cielo by Jose Rafael Nunez Patino
Publishing Contest Votes: 27
fav_author_id: 0

Post by Heidi M Simone »

I thought the author and subtitle seemed familiar! I love that the detective team go to Sri Lanka. I used to babysit/nanny for a family who mom is from Sri Lanka. Hopefully, the furry team can find the missing national treasure! It's great that the major themes are friendship and teamwork - definitely perfect for children. I also love when illustrations bring more life to the story. Too bad about the small errors, but I'm glad you found this book enjoyable and that it would be good for kids! Thank you for sharing your thoughts!
Heidi
Official Reviewer Representative

"There is nothing as powerful as a mother’s love, and nothing as healing as a child’s soul." – Unknown
Riszell

Post by Riszell »

hsimone wrote: 13 Jun 2018, 15:35 I thought the author and subtitle seemed familiar! I love that the detective team go to Sri Lanka. I used to babysit/nanny for a family who mom is from Sri Lanka. Hopefully, the furry team can find the missing national treasure! It's great that the major themes are friendship and teamwork - definitely perfect for children. I also love when illustrations bring more life to the story. Too bad about the small errors, but I'm glad you found this book enjoyable and that it would be good for kids! Thank you for sharing your thoughts!
You're welcome! And thank you for the very nice comment. :tiphat:
revna01
Currently Reading: Storm Front
Bookshelf Size: 143
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-revna01.html
Latest Review: Rufus: A Boy's Extraordinary Experiences in the Civil War by Phoebe Sheldon

Post by revna01 »

Thank you for including your thoughts on the illustrations and for the detailed review. It certainly sounds like a playful story. :)
Riszell

Post by Riszell »

SABRADLEY wrote: 16 Jun 2018, 16:45 Thank you for including your thoughts on the illustrations and for the detailed review. It certainly sounds like a playful story. :)
You're welcome! :tiphat:
It is an enjoyable read. Both kids and adults will be entertained.
Helen_Combe
Favorite Book: The Martian
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 193
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-helen-combe.html
Latest Review: And The Trees Began To Move by Lisa Gammon Olson
Reading Device: B00M4L4MFC

Post by Helen_Combe »

Great review, I’ve only read the 1st of this series. It’s nice that it brings together friendship and different cultures, along with a detective story.
A thesaurus is necessary, essential, indispensable, vital, crucial and fundamental.
Riszell

Post by Riszell »

Helen_Combe wrote: 18 Jun 2018, 08:40 Great review, I’ve only read the 1st of this series. It’s nice that it brings together friendship and different cultures, along with a detective story.
Thank you! :tiphat:
I also think it's nice that this book series provide those themes.
Connie Otwani
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 200
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cotwani.html
Latest Review: The Fisherman and his Foundlings by Phillip Leighton-Daly

Post by Connie Otwani »

Wow, your review has convinced me this is a must read for me. I love detective stories, humor and can't wait to discover the many wonders and places that can be explored in Sri Lanka!
There is more treasure in books than in all the pirates’ loot on Treasure Island!
-Walt Disney
Riszell

Post by Riszell »

Cotwani wrote: 23 Jun 2018, 09:07 Wow, your review has convinced me this is a must read for me. I love detective stories, humor and can't wait to discover the many wonders and places that can be explored in Sri Lanka!
Thank you! And don't forget the fascinating characters, the furry animals! You will surely enjoy this illustrated book. :tiphat:
Riszell

Post by Riszell »

Thank you everyone for taking the time to read my review of this fascinating book, especially to those who left encouraging comments and beautiful words. Thank you so much! :tiphat:
Laura Ungureanu
Favorite Book: The Book Thief
Currently Reading: The Guardians of Erum and the Calamitous Child of Socotra
Bookshelf Size: 1392
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-laura-ungureanu.html
Latest Review: Love and Marriage by Arthur Hartz

Post by Laura Ungureanu »

This book sounds amazing. I would have liked to read it as a kid. It must be a very educative story. And Sri Lanka is not an usual place for a book, so it is interesting to discover a new country too.
Riszell

Post by Riszell »

Laura Ungureanu wrote: 24 Jun 2018, 09:59 This book sounds amazing. I would have liked to read it as a kid. It must be a very educative story. And Sri Lanka is not an usual place for a book, so it is interesting to discover a new country too.
It is. After reading this series, I actually consider Sri Lanka as one of the places to travel/visit as it appears to be wonderful. :D

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”