Review by liftedbooks -- Toni the Superhero by R.D. Base

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
liftedbooks
Currently Reading: The Ansgar Treasury
Bookshelf Size: 55
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-liftedbooks.html
Latest Review: The Embalmer by Vincent Zandri

Review by liftedbooks -- Toni the Superhero by R.D. Base

Post by liftedbooks »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Toni the Superhero" by R.D. Base.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Toni the Superhero is a delightfully illustrated book that is bound to be entertaining to all beginner readers. Written by R.D Base and charmingly illustrated by Debbie Hefke, pre-schoolers and young children will enjoy this creatively constructed book.

Little Toni might be a superhero, but he still has normal chores to perform around the house like every other child. The book depicts Toni sweeping, helping his mother with the dishes, and doing other wonderful activities that kids enjoy. This is not the kind of superhero that only flies all day, looking to spot someone who needs help. Toni enjoys just being a child.

Although the main character wears a superhero suit most of the time, the author chose to have him doing normal hobbies and this should cause him to be a favorite amongst young kids. Toni swims, dances, and has fun with his friends; thus, he is not just a superhero but a superhero that kids can relate to.

R.D Base uses short sentences, such as ‘Toni likes to run’, ‘Toni likes to dance’, and ‘Toni likes to eat’, to keep the early reader engaged with the story and allow the reader to read it with ease. The illustrations give support to the words, for example where it says ‘Toni likes to read’ the boy is seen holding one book whilst a few other books are stacked one on top of the other; either he is planning on reading this, or he has already read all of them, either way it is obvious that Toni loves to read.

I would recommend this book to any young child who is just starting to read. The author does not use any difficult words, and the pictures are bright, beautiful, and appropriately colourful. Parents and pre-school teachers can also read this aloud to the kids, and the children would enjoy it considerably. If, however, the child has progressed further in their reading ability this might be a bit boring to them. The author herself explains that the book is to help children with reading.

I rate this book 4 out of 4 stars since the book is perfect for the intended target market. Furthermore, Toni the Superhero is skilfully illustrated, and I found no spelling or grammatical errors. The fact Toni is such a unique boy that kids can look up to, means that parents can buy this book for their kids without any concern.

Toni the Superhero
View: on Bookshelves

Like liftedbooks's review? Post a comment saying so!
The BookWorm Nagham
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 84
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-the-bookworm-nagham.html
Latest Review: Toni the Superhero by R.D. Base

Post by The BookWorm Nagham »

liftedbooks wrote: 28 May 2018, 09:08 Little Toni might be a superhero, but he still has normal chores to perform around the house like every other child. The book depicts Toni sweeping, helping his mother with the dishes, and doing other wonderful activities that kids enjoy. This is not the kind of superhero that only flies all day, looking to spot someone who needs help. Toni enjoys just being a child.

Although the main character wears a superhero suit most of the time, the author chose to have him doing normal hobbies and this should cause him to be a favorite amongst young kids. Toni swims, dances, and has fun with his friends; thus, he is not just a superhero but a superhero that kids can relate to.
Great review! I really liked this part ^. I think showing Toni wearing a superhero costume playing with other kids and helping his mother, without using his powers, sets a great example for kids. It makes those activities more appealing, and it shows that everyone of us can be a superhero! I also reviewed this book, check out my review if you like
BriennaiJ
Currently Reading: Island Games
Bookshelf Size: 42
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-briennaij.html
Latest Review: If Life Stinks, Get Your Head Outta Your But's by Mark L. Wdowiak

Post by BriennaiJ »

It is definitely important for children's books to have nice illustrations, and I am glad that this one hit the mark! Great review!
liftedbooks

Post by liftedbooks »

The BookWorm Nagham wrote: 06 Jun 2018, 03:33
liftedbooks wrote: 28 May 2018, 09:08 Little Toni might be a superhero, but he still has normal chores to perform around the house like every other child. The book depicts Toni sweeping, helping his mother with the dishes, and doing other wonderful activities that kids enjoy. This is not the kind of superhero that only flies all day, looking to spot someone who needs help. Toni enjoys just being a child.

Great review! I really liked this part ^. I think showing Toni wearing a superhero costume playing with other kids and helping his mother, without using his powers, sets a great example for kids. It makes those activities more appealing, and it shows that everyone of us can be a superhero! I also reviewed this book, check out my review if you like
Thank you for reading my review and for the reply. I'll be sure to check out yours too!
liftedbooks

Post by liftedbooks »

nyathireviewer wrote: 11 Jun 2018, 11:00 This sounds like a great book for kids filled with nice pictures and making it easy for kids to start with reading. Awesome review!
It is! This books is perfect for beginner readers. Thank you for reading my review and for replying.
liftedbooks

Post by liftedbooks »

BriennaiJ wrote: 07 Jun 2018, 08:33 It is definitely important for children's books to have nice illustrations, and I am glad that this one hit the mark! Great review!
The illustrations in this book are really nice and colorful. Thank you for reading my review and for the reply!
alisonedgee
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alisonedgee.html
Latest Review: Lemoncella Cocktail by Rene Natan

Post by alisonedgee »

great review, obvs im not the target market, but nice that you can recommend it highly
JR Mercier
Favorite Book: The Bear and the Nightingale
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 129
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jr-mercier.html
Latest Review: Betrayal by Maggie Walsh

Post by JR Mercier »

It's great to hear such good things about a children's book and that it is encouraging a more selfless superhero that does normal things any child can do. Great review. Very well written and thorough.
Dream up something wild and improbable.
-Strange The Dreamer, Laini Taylor
liftedbooks

Post by liftedbooks »

alisonedgee wrote: 20 Jun 2018, 10:16 great review, obvs im not the target market, but nice that you can recommend it highly
:D Thank you for reading and replying.
liftedbooks

Post by liftedbooks »

JR Mercier wrote: 20 Jun 2018, 12:38 It's great to hear such good things about a children's book and that it is encouraging a more selfless superhero that does normal things any child can do. Great review. Very well written and thorough.
Toni is definitely a relatable super hero. Thank you for reading my review and for your kind words.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”