Review by Juliet Muia -- And Then I Met Margaret

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Jgideon
Favorite Book: Gates to Tangier
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 253
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jgideon.html
Latest Review: Sundays with Sister ssj by Anthony Happy LaRiccia

Review by Juliet Muia -- And Then I Met Margaret

Post by Jgideon »

[Following is a volunteer review of "And Then I Met Margaret" by Rob White.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

And Then I Met Margaret by Rob White is a self-help book. The most distinguishing feature of the book is that it is based on real-life events. It records some of the most important events and thoughts in the life of Rob White that had a major impact on his journey of personal development.

The book consists of 21 chapters. Each chapter focuses on a particular lesson that the author learned at a given point in his life. Every chapter begins with the myth that he believed before an event and ends with the lesson that he drew from the event. This makes the book easy to read.

Many parts of the book are written in first person. The author also uses dialogue. Most of the conversations are between Mr. White, the author, and the people that he believes had the greatest impact on his life. They include his childhood friend, a policeman, successful real estate entrepreneurs, one of his college professors, his wife, some of his students and Margaret among others. Margaret is the youngest person who taught him one of the priceless lessons in his life thus his decision to use her name in the title of the book.

I enjoyed reading the book until the 19th chapter where the author gives an encounter that he had with a Maasai mother. Prior to this chapter, everything went on smoothly and the lessons I drew from the book were stuck in my mind. The author’s experience with the Maasai mother made me very upset. In his childhood, he defied the orders of a police officer to save a deer. It was hard for me to believe that he could not defy the orders of his tour guide to save the mother’s child who was on the verge of death. In the previous chapters, he had moments where he encouraged people to follow their inner voice yet he did not follow his inner voice in this particular case. The author had a great opportunity to learn and give his collection of lessons to the mother and her community but he did not realize it. Nevertheless, I continued reading the book since each chapter stands on its own.

The book does not have many errors. I noted very few errors that cannot distract the reader from enjoying the book. It is well structured and the author has great storytelling skills making the book flow in a flawless manner. However, I will give the book 3 out of 4 stars because the author did not meet my expectations in his encounter with the Maasai mother. I recommend the book to everyone who is looking for an exceptional self-help book drawn from real life experiences.

And Then I Met Margaret
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like Juliet Muia's review? Post a comment saying so!
10mile72
Favorite Book: My Trip To Adele
Currently Reading: The Message?
Bookshelf Size: 309
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-10mile72.html
Latest Review: Marriage 101 by Rodney D Sewell

Post by 10mile72 »

Hey, Juliet. I also reviewed this book, and like you, gave it three stars. I do agree with you that the author relates his lessons in a very easy to understand way, and I thought he had some pretty deep insights. I liked your review.
crediblereading2
Currently Reading: Bitroux
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-crediblereading2.html
Latest Review: SSN Seadragon by J P Ronald

Post by crediblereading2 »

I like you very honest and comprehensive review of this book. I took have read it and agree with you on many of your points.
Laura Ungureanu
Favorite Book: The Book Thief
Currently Reading: The Guardians of Erum and the Calamitous Child of Socotra
Bookshelf Size: 1392
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-laura-ungureanu.html
Latest Review: Love and Marriage by Arthur Hartz

Post by Laura Ungureanu »

I recently finished reading this book and I never thought about the Maasai mother chacapter like that, like he didn't act as expected. You have a good point and I liked it. Thank you for the great review!
Poppy Drear
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 147
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-poppy-drear.html
Latest Review: Five of Pentacles by Anna Munson

Post by Poppy Drear »

I've heard a lot about this book, mostly due to the volume of reviews that have been done about it. Thanks for your review; it seems like the author did a pretty good job of relating his experiences in an engaging way, with the exception of that one chapter.
Jgideon
Currently Reading:

Post by Jgideon »

ViziVoir wrote: 29 May 2018, 19:29 I've heard a lot about this book, mostly due to the volume of reviews that have been done about it. Thanks for your review; it seems like the author did a pretty good job of relating his experiences in an engaging way, with the exception of that one chapter.
I agree with you..the author did a good job except for that one chapter. Thanks
Jgideon
Currently Reading:

Post by Jgideon »

Laura Ungureanu wrote: 29 May 2018, 12:19 I recently finished reading this book and I never thought about the Maasai mother chacapter like that, like he didn't act as expected. You have a good point and I liked it. Thank you for the great review!
Thanks for appreciating my review. :)
BriennaiJ
Currently Reading: Island Games
Bookshelf Size: 42
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-briennaij.html
Latest Review: If Life Stinks, Get Your Head Outta Your But's by Mark L. Wdowiak

Post by BriennaiJ »

I'm not a fan of self-help books, but your review was definitely good! I can understand your frustration with the author being a hypocrite in that example. It is definitely irritating when a person in this type of novel is trying to get you to do something new bu then won't even do it themselves.
Gracedscribe
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 35
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gracedscribe.html
Latest Review: The Fox by M. N. J. Butler

Post by Gracedscribe »

Hi Juliet! What a great review! It gives me a great gist of what this book is about, but 'self-help' is not really on my To Read list right now, so this book may not find a place on any of my shelves.
One point I want to ask about, though - maybe the writer including the 19th chapter in the book was about him being honest about what he did. No one's perfect, and I'm sure we've all made terrible choices in life. Does the chapter stick out like a sore thumb?
Keep up the good work!
Jgideon
Currently Reading:

Post by Jgideon »

10mile72 wrote: 28 May 2018, 18:06 Hey, Juliet. I also reviewed this book, and like you, gave it three stars. I do agree with you that the author relates his lessons in a very easy to understand way, and I thought he had some pretty deep insights. I liked your review.
Hi 10mile72. Thank you
Jgideon
Currently Reading:

Post by Jgideon »

Gracedscribe wrote: 21 Jun 2018, 10:42 Hi Juliet! What a great review! It gives me a great gist of what this book is about, but 'self-help' is not really on my To Read list right now, so this book may not find a place on any of my shelves.
One point I want to ask about, though - maybe the writer including the 19th chapter in the book was about him being honest about what he did. No one's perfect, and I'm sure we've all made terrible choices in life. Does the chapter stick out like a sore thumb?
Keep up the good work!
Hi Grace. Thanks for the comment. About the 19th chapter, just like every other chapter in the book, the author was being honest about every detail. I do appreciate his honesty. However, in this particular instance, he seemed to be blindfolded by his quest to learn. I do agree with you that no one is perfect. I also know that imperfections cause some bitter memories when one finally realizes the magnitude of his/her mistakes. Let's just say that this goes to the bitter memories basket---at least from my point of view.
Jgideon
Currently Reading:

Post by Jgideon »

BriennaiJ wrote: 30 May 2018, 10:06 I'm not a fan of self-help books, but your review was definitely good! I can understand your frustration with the author being a hypocrite in that example. It is definitely irritating when a person in this type of novel is trying to get you to do something new bu then won't even do it themselves.
Thanks for the comment. Hypocrisy is indeed very irritating
Bianka Walter
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: The Old Man and the Sea
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 368
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bianka-walter.html
Latest Review: Thir13en by Keegan Nielsen
Reading Device: B06XD5YCKX

Post by Bianka Walter »

It's cool that every chapter is a mini-story. It helps you move along when there is a chapter that rubs you the wrong way.
This is a great review, thanks!
You can find magic wherever you look. Sit back and relax, all you need is a book.
- Dr. Seuss

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”