Review by Echo Haapala -- The Sword Swallower and a Chic...

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Echo Haapala
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 59
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-echo-haapala.html
Latest Review: Poseidon's Eye by Trisha O'Keefe

Review by Echo Haapala -- The Sword Swallower and a Chic...

Post by Echo Haapala »

[Following is a volunteer review of "The Sword Swallower and a Chico Kid" by Gary Robinson.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

We have all heard the expression, “don’t judge a book by its cover,” well don’t judge it by its title either. I was a bit skeptical and unsure about this book but I am sure glad that I opened it. The Sword Swallower and a Chico Kid is hands down an amazing read.

This book is broken down into 3 parts. The first part follows the life of Duke, the Sword Swallower. His story begins as a teenager in the 1960s. Duke had a troubled childhood and jumped at the opportunity to travel with the circus. It was there that he created a family with the circus freak sideshows, which included Gonad the Giant, Lucy the Monkey Girl, Wubby, the Puppe family, the Remarkable Half Man and Christie Betty, the world’s most tattooed woman. Throughout the years, Duke became a legend and reached celebrity status because of his sword swallowing skills and because he was tattooed from head to toe. His story is one filled with addiction to meth (or his medicine as he calls it) hardships and mistakes while staying true to himself and always living in the moment until the very end.

Part 2 begins in the 1980s and follows the life of Gary Robinson, a lost soul. He is unable to feel a connection with anything or anyone but his tale is a riot and feels like a never-ending party. The story follows Gary through college, where he graduates but didn’t learn a thing other than how to hold his liquor and snort cocaine. He ends up in a small town in California where he continued going from job to job and party to party. At age 35, Gary was an alcoholic with no purpose in life when he hit rock bottom. It was then that he met Duke.

The last part of this book is truly mind-blowing and heart felt. Part 3 is the story of Duke and Gary’s remarkable friendship. Duke is now in his 70s and unable to perform like he once did. He doesn’t have much time left and he wants to teach Gary to dive into life full heartedly and to seize each moment. Will Duke succeed? Or will Gary’s tale end too soon?

Without a doubt, I rate this book a 4 out of 4. It is very rare for a book to be able to move a reader but this one does just that. One of the main points that Duke stresses throughout the book is to be comfortable in your own skin while living in the moment because tomorrow isn’t promised. I think this concept is forgotten and overshadowed on a daily basis because we become so bogged down by the little things in our busy lives. This book forces you to remember that life is a gift and we should not take any day for granted. Also, this author is gifted. He was able to combine the use of crude humor and the taboo topic of religion to write a beautiful and unique story about one lost soul that was found because of another.

I would recommend this book to anyone with a sense of humor and is not easily offended that is ready to a read a book where there is never a dull moment. I would not recommend this book to a young audience or those that are sensitive to foul language and drug use.

The Sword Swallower and a Chico Kid
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like Echo Haapala's review? Post a comment saying so!
Jackie Holycross
Currently Reading: The 7 Experiment
Bookshelf Size: 306
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-teacherjh.html
Latest Review: 20 World Religions and Faith Practices by Robyn Lebron

Post by Jackie Holycross »

There are such mixed reviews on this book. I'm glad you enjoyed it.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”