Review by Galnius -- Solaris Seethes (Solaris Saga book 1)

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Galnius
Currently Reading: The Last City of America
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-galnius.html
Latest Review: Solaris Seethes (Solaris Saga book 1) by Janet McNulty

Review by Galnius -- Solaris Seethes (Solaris Saga book 1)

Post by Galnius » 27 May 2018, 15:57

[Following is a volunteer review of "Solaris Seethes (Solaris Saga book 1)" by Janet McNulty.]
Book Cover
2 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Janet McNulty explores the stars in the the first book of an interstellar series. Called Solaris Seethes, it ventures into the unknown with an alien woman called Rynah, her 4 companions, and a ship with an attitude.

The novel begins with an introduction on how her grandfather, Marlow, warns the young Rynah that her home planet will be destroyed. Following this introduction, we see chapter 1, A Planet Destroyed. That isn't even spoilers, that's what the chapter is called. We are thrust into the main plot after a mere page of explanation of Rynah's character, and even that felt brushed over. She escaped on the Solaris, and is told of a prophecy involving 5 devices that stabalize planets, and how the one who stole hers will seek the others. To stop him, she needs to gather 4 heroes.

Now, here's my biggest issue with this story. Just how rushed it feels. Character introductions last barely over a page, and sometimes not even that. Two betrayals happen by characters who were introduced that very page. All the suspense and emotion seems thrown out for exposition and continuing the plot. Every heart wrenching moment becomes more of a "why do I care again?". This simply doesn't work for any particular casual or avid reader. The villain is suggested to have a reason for doing what he is doing, but it's never explained. The question "why" is left totally open. Whilst it is the first book, the utter lack of resolution makes it feel more like a book summary or a middle chapter to a story than a stand alone story on it's own.

However, there was one thing I did love within this book. Every new planet and every new setting was described to alluring detail visually. When it finally slowed down for these, you could envision the large amount of habitats and cultures within. However, even this was eventually tossed to the side on favor of rushing through the plot once again.

Due to these facts, and a few obvious lacks of continuity (the grass on her home planet is described with two different colors) I give this book a 2 out of 4 star rating. It did have some redeeming qualities, and I can see how someone just looking for a quick, action packed read would enjoy this. It also seemed quite professionally edited,
with very few mistakes. However, for anyone looking for well done characters and events you will actually care about in the book (this one makes it nearly impossible due to how rushed it is) should look elsewhere. I would recommend to the author to take the time to add in a few new pages.

Solaris Seethes (Solaris Saga book 1)
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon | on iTunes | on Smashwords

Like Galnius's review? Post a comment saying so!

Mely918
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 37
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mely918.html
Latest Review: Poems of Massachusetts by Dr. Jeffrey Lant

Post by Mely918 » 29 May 2018, 11:16

Seems like a decent book. Don't think I myself will read it, but anyone who enjoys good scenery will probably like to read this. On a side note, A Planet Destroyed really doesn't seem like the best name for a chapter.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”