Review by strawberrysab -- Final Notice by Van Fleisher

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
strawberrysab
Currently Reading: The Keeper of Lost Things
Bookshelf Size: 161
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-strawberrysab.html
Latest Review: Maddy's Wings by Jan porter

Review by strawberrysab -- Final Notice by Van Fleisher

Post by strawberrysab »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Final Notice" by Van Fleisher.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

“If you knew, for sure, that you were going to die in 10, 20 or 30 days, what would you do?” This is the unsettling question posed by Van Fleisher, author of the political (and mildly sci-fi) thriller Final Notice

Under the lead of Vijay Patel, a brilliant doctor with a passion for technology, the company VitalTech develops a smartwatch that can predict the exact day you are going to die. There is just a tiny glitch: as smart as that watch can be, it cannot predict the possible effects of such a peremptory deadline on the human psyche.

The main story follows the testing stages of the VT2, that’s the name of the avant-garde device, carried out on a sample of a hundred of seniors. The VT2’s technology monitors and analyzes in real time every change in the body of its wearer to such an infinitesimally small point that it can tell how many days they have left to live, issuing a “final notice” that warns them to contact their doctor immediately. Needless to say, not everyone does it. The book shows us some of the final notice recipients as they struggle with the harsh reality that their time on earth is ticking. Some get their affairs in order, some say their goodbyes to the loved ones. Some take the occasion to settle old scores. They premeditate murders, or simply flip, kill people, aware they will never pay for their crime.

It surely doesn’t help that the NRA decides to run a massive discount promotion on guns to, go figure, exactly the senior citizens. Oh jeez! What could possibly go wrong here?

What I believe makes this book even more engaging is the parallel story, in which we follow Vince and his wife Trudi, a couple of elders who struggle with the appalling - and appealing - thought of getting a gun, after the NRA announces the tempting promotion. Initially against the idea, we see the couple slowly starting to consider it as an option. Then an incident throws in their face all the frailty of their age, tipping the scale in favour of the purchase. If they will go as far as to use it, though, is something I will not spoil in this review.

That said, whether you like political stories or not, this is definitely one of those books you never really stop thinking about. It is thought-provoking and occasionally intense. For being a work of fiction, it offers a scenario painted with scary shades of reality, fitting way too perfectly into today's insane political climate. Yet, it does not end up being heavy or disheartening, because the author manages to interlace and to switch between moments of tension, fun, irony and even romance. Moreover, skipping from character to character keeps the story moving and the suspense up.

On a very fangirlish note, I have to point out a humorous trivia. Being a TV junkie with an obsession for legal shows, I couldn’t help but jump in delight at the mention of Pearson, Spector & Litt. Now, you're probably wondering: Who the hell are these guys? They are the name partners at a law firm of a quite popular show (hint: they dress in suits!). If it was a coincidence, thank you anyway, Mr. Fleisher, for the pleasant distraction. If it was intentional, congratulations for buying my attention until the end of my days. Here’s to hoping I will not get my final notice anytime soon.

The book was well written, I did not spot any significant mistake, but there were quite a few missing inverted commas which, anyway, did not affect the reading. And that’s why I rate this book 4 out of 4 stars.

I recommend it to anyone who loves political thrillers and, why not, sci-fi readers, as well. But it is also a book that anyone who thinks arming the whole population with guns is a good idea should read. A particular mention goes to younger readers: better with adult supervision.

Final Notice
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like strawberrysab's review? Post a comment saying so!
Berry :wine:
Bianka Walter
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: The Old Man and the Sea
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 368
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bianka-walter.html
Latest Review: Thir13en by Keegan Nielsen
Reading Device: B06XD5YCKX

Post by Bianka Walter »

I was also so excited at the mention of Pearson, Specter and Litt! And then adding Lewis' son to the mix too... so much fun!
I loved this line: "There is just a tiny glitch: as smart as that watch can be, it cannot predict the possible effects of such a peremptory deadline on the human psyche." I think that sums the book up pretty well.
I really enjoyed your review, thanks :)
You can find magic wherever you look. Sit back and relax, all you need is a book.
- Dr. Seuss
Laura Ungureanu
Favorite Book: The Book Thief
Currently Reading: The Guardians of Erum and the Calamitous Child of Socotra
Bookshelf Size: 1392
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-laura-ungureanu.html
Latest Review: Love and Marriage by Arthur Hartz

Post by Laura Ungureanu »

I like the concept of this book so much, it is entertaining, engaging and thought-provoking. Thank you for the review!
strawberrysab

Post by strawberrysab »

Bianka Walter wrote: 05 Jun 2018, 07:30 I was also so excited at the mention of Pearson, Specter and Litt! And then adding Lewis' son to the mix too... so much fun!
I loved this line: "There is just a tiny glitch: as smart as that watch can be, it cannot predict the possible effects of such a peremptory deadline on the human psyche." I think that sums the book up pretty well.
I really enjoyed your review, thanks :)
I’m so happy to hear that someone else noticed the reference, I was starting to feel alone in the universe! Thanks for reading and enjoying my review :)
strawberrysab

Post by strawberrysab »

Laura Ungureanu wrote: 05 Jun 2018, 15:48 I like the concept of this book so much, it is entertaining, engaging and thought-provoking. Thank you for the review!
The idea behind this book is definitely an excellent one. :tiphat:

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”