Review by JR Mercier -- Heartaches by H.M. Irwing

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
JR Mercier
Favorite Book: The Bear and the Nightingale
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 129
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jr-mercier.html
Latest Review: Betrayal by Maggie Walsh

Review by JR Mercier -- Heartaches by H.M. Irwing

Post by JR Mercier »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Heartaches" by H.M. Irwing.]
Book Cover
1 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Heartaches is an age-old story about two broken souls finding refuge together. Anna Simmons, young, damaged, lonely and still finding her way, is thrown off the deep end, which is where she meets Rafe Brown, the tortured ex-army commando who is struggling under the weight of his past. Together, they start their journey of healing, justice, lust, and love.

Let me start with the redeemable qualities. I liked the dog, Bruno. Jane Simmons, Anna’s mother, had a promising premise and I would have loved reading more about her. Rafe Brown was your typical alpha male but his past was decidedly different to what most would expect, which was a breath of fresh air. He had dealt with something normally considered taboo for a strong male character. Anna had me shaking my head but I do have to admit that towards the second half of the book she became a bit more bearable. And while I might not like her character, I do appreciate Anna’s self-awareness and that she doesn’t shy away from the darker parts of herself.

However, I really struggled to finish Heartaches. The vocabulary reminded me of someone trying to impress a Grade 8 English teacher by using ‘thus’ over and over in an essay, and while some scenes were beautifully written and vivid, it all felt very forced and pretentious. Sometimes less really is more.

Now, for the not-so redeemable qualities. Anna Simmons had me clenching my fists and to be frank, her thoughts on rape made me very uncomfortable. I wanted to smack her. Repeatedly. I was cringing and the scenes between her and the Preston men felt very unnecessary. She was raped. I think we got it the first time it happened. While I do love the way H.M. Irwing writes sex scenes, it’s a whole different story when that is also used to write a rape scene. I could understand Anna's conflicting feelings about what she went through but the way she thought about her rape made it feel almost romanticized.

The constant use of ‘molten chocolates’, ‘lush’ and ‘green orbs’ had me on the verge of a nervous breakdown, nothing about the story gripped me. Not even the dog. It felt rushed and more time was spent describing the landscape than building Anna and Rafe’s relationship.

I rate Heartaches 1 out of 4. The story fell flat, none of the characters were great and it all felt very disconnected. I would not recommend this book. Period.

Heartaches
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like JR Mercier's review? Post a comment saying so!
JR Mercier
Currently Reading:

Post by JR Mercier »

It has been quite a while since I did this review and I have read a lot of other reviews on this book. I know most people loved this read because it is sexy and all that. I just want to point out that this review is my own opinion on this read. Don't feel bad if you enjoyed this book and please don't dislike me because I didn't. There were a few points I enjoyed but it was not my cup of tea.
Have a great day :tiphat: :D
Dream up something wild and improbable.
-Strange The Dreamer, Laini Taylor
Okafor Prosper
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 250
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-okafor-prosper.html
Latest Review: 52 Pieces: by Dr. Marina Kostina

Post by Okafor Prosper »

I've read and reviewed this story, and I agree with your opinion on Anna. I think the story improves as you read further into the second and third book in the series. Nice review
JR Mercier
Currently Reading:

Post by JR Mercier »

prospero360 wrote: 27 Jul 2018, 03:25 I've read and reviewed this story, and I agree with your opinion on Anna. I think the story improves as you read further into the second and third book in the series. Nice review
I have also read a lot of reviews and I think the same. I think I might give the other books another try. Thank you for coming here. This was my very first review. :lol2: :tiphat:
Okafor Prosper
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 250
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-okafor-prosper.html
Latest Review: 52 Pieces: by Dr. Marina Kostina

Post by Okafor Prosper »

JR Mercier wrote: 31 Jul 2018, 04:36
prospero360 wrote: 27 Jul 2018, 03:25 I've read and reviewed this story, and I agree with your opinion on Anna. I think the story improves as you read further into the second and third book in the series. Nice review
I have also read a lot of reviews and I think the same. I think I might give the other books another try. Thank you for coming here. This was my very first review. :lol2: :tiphat:
Wow. My first review wasn't even nearly as good as this.
JR Mercier
Currently Reading:

Post by JR Mercier »

prospero360 wrote: 31 Jul 2018, 06:03
JR Mercier wrote: 31 Jul 2018, 04:36
Wow. My first review wasn't even nearly as good as this.
Thank you for the compliment! :D And I'm sure it was brilliant.
Connie Otwani
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 200
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cotwani.html
Latest Review: The Fisherman and his Foundlings by Phillip Leighton-Daly

Post by Connie Otwani »

Actually I have read a number of reviews having the same sentiments. The stockholm syndrome and annoying protagonist never gels for me too. Great review!
There is more treasure in books than in all the pirates’ loot on Treasure Island!
-Walt Disney
JR Mercier
Currently Reading:

Post by JR Mercier »

Cotwani wrote: 01 Aug 2018, 00:15 Actually I have read a number of reviews having the same sentiments. The stockholm syndrome and annoying protagonist never gels for me too. Great review!
Thank you. And while I have read that the series does become better, I don't know. I think I'll give it another chance.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”