Review by Sanyesto -- And Then I Met Margaret by Rob White

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Sanyesto
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 121
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sanyesto.html
Latest Review: Escape by Mark Kingston Levin, PhD

Review by Sanyesto -- And Then I Met Margaret by Rob White

Post by Sanyesto »

[Following is a volunteer review of "And Then I Met Margaret" by Rob White.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

And Then I Met Margaret: Stories of Ordinary Gurus I’ve Met by Rob White falls under the non-fiction genre. It may also with no doubt be categorized under motivational memoir. Rob White narrates his life events in a very eye-catching manner.

Rob White was brought up in a poor small town which was very conservative and had its laid down traditions that everyone was supposed to live by. For instance, every boy child was expected to work in one of the mill factories upon high school completion. However, Rob White does the extra-ordinary by setting his ambitions in joining college. This was a very rare in that town yet he defied all the odds and ended up joining the University of Massachusets. He did this despite being promoted to be a supervisor in one of the factories within two weeks.

Rob White followed his inner voice and went to college and then became a teacher thereafter. He even went further ahead into becoming a successful entrepreneur in the real estate and restaurant sectors.

This is a well-organized read as it is divided into chapters, twenty-one of them. Each chapter is a small life story of the author. Each story has a unique lesson and this is what makes the memoir an intriguing read. The author tells us how he met with very ordinary people in his life who in turn ended up helping him in looking at life at very different and positive angle. Each chapter follows a definite sequence: the myth he believed in, his encounters with the ordinary gurus and finally the realities that the gurus helped him to discover.

It is very interesting to see how the author is keen and acknowledges very minor events that in turn help him to learn very big lessons about his life. I also noted that the writer not only learns a lesson but is also able to put that lesson into practice. An example is in Chapter 3, where Rob White knows very well that the money that the old woman had dropped has been stepped on by another guy. Instead of issuing all sort of insults and shouts to the thief, he takes a note from his pocket and gives it to the old woman. The thief is later filled with guilt and returns the note he had stepped on back to Rob. Rob White had learned that “honesty and integrity have no personal angles” and he was putting this lesson into practice.

Another thing I also noted about the author was his humble approach to situations. This is exhibited when he met Margaret, a young student who asks him an off-topic question. He handles the situation in a very mature way by analyzing the question. It helped him to realize that he was just focused on living his own life at the expense of the people who make his life a successful one.

It is also worth to mention that the book is written in a very engaging way and the author makes it lively by inserting rhetorical questions that will help the reader relate to the lessons being conveyed in this book. There are several motivational quotes accompanying the stories and these make the book even more tantalizing. Generally, I enjoyed the book from the start to the end and although I came across a few grammatical errors, they can be overlooked. I, therefore, with no doubt give this book a rating of 4 out of 4 stars. This is a book that I will recommend to everyone. This is because at some point we all feel so down and we need something to motivate us to keep going on since it is not the end of the world. Feel free to obtain a copy of this book and I promise you will not regret.

And Then I Met Margaret
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like Sanyesto's review? Post a comment saying so!

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”