Review by Sushan -- And Then I Met Margaret by Rob White

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Sushan Ekanayake
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading: Uplifting The Pain of Behavioral and Learning Styles Through Poetry Now
Bookshelf Size: 408
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sushan-ekanayake.html
Latest Review: Unsettled Disruption by Juana Catalina Rodriguez
Reading Device: B0794JC2K5

Review by Sushan -- And Then I Met Margaret by Rob White

Post by Sushan Ekanayake »

[Following is a volunteer review of "And Then I Met Margaret" by Rob White.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

To be honest, I am not a guy who go after gurus or seek positive thinking ideas, to make my life a success. What I believe is, it is up to me to face the different situations which, I get in to and survive through each. That is the life! I strongly believe that, no one can give directions to others lives, because each and everyone of us have different lives.

Yet, when I saw this book, And Then I Met Margaret by Rob White, the many positive reviews and the details about the author, I thought, “Well, let's give a try for this. If it is not good enough, I will just criticize it”. So, that is how I ended up reading this book.

Even though it started like that, page by page I started loving it. Usually a traditional philosophy book is something with very difficult theories and hard words. And also they contain teachings which, god only knows how to apply them to practice. But this one is different. It is written in simple English, in a way that allows the reader to have a quick read. And it does not elaborate big theories, only simple life lessons which hides a big philosophy underneath them. The part I like the most is, author's demonstration of how he actually used them. That is enough proof for me to accept that, everything the author says is true.

I remember one of the reviews said that, after reading this, it will change the way that we see the world. Before reading I thought, “what nonsense!”. But now I see it really has such an effect. Each and every encounter, even apart from human behaviour, I try to see something for me to learn; And it really works.

Having said all of that, is this book only for those, who seek a way to improve the quality of their lives? Not at all. The narrative way the author has written this book, allows anyone to keep aside the positive thinking part and enjoy it as an autobiography of the author. He has described his life events so lively that, we can actually live in them and enjoy them. Keeping the positive thinking, philosophic writings short, is an additional help for this.

I noticed very few printing mistakes and no grammar errors. But that is not the reason for me to not rate it 4 out of 4, but the name of the book. At first glance I thought that, this is some ordinary romance, which I do not prefer much to read. True, it says that 'Stories of Personal Transformation' at the bottom of the cover page. But, if not for the reviews, I would have not read it, just because of the name the author has given. I think that is a major draw back of the book.

Apart from that, this is a very good book, that I recommend to anyone. So I rate it 3 out of 4.

And Then I Met Margaret
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like Sushan's review? Post a comment saying so!
We all need people who will give us feedback. That’s how we improve.

- Bill Gates -

:lire4: $u$han €kanayak€ :text-feedback:
Sahani Nimandra
Favorite Book: Harry Potter and The Sorceress Stone
Currently Reading: Man of the World
Bookshelf Size: 698
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sahani-nimandra.html
Latest Review: I once had a Farm in Ireland by Siggy Buckley
Reading Device: Huawei

Post by Sahani Nimandra »

Good review! I have read this book before so I can agree with you on your account.
The person, be it gentleman or lady, who has not pleasure in a good novel, must be intolerably stupid! - Jane Austen :techie-studyingbrown:
Sushan Ekanayake
Currently Reading: Uplifting The Pain of Behavioral and Learning Styles Through Poetry Now

Sahani Nimandra wrote: 26 Jul 2018, 11:12 Good review! I have read this book before so I can agree with you on your account.

Thanks for the kind reply. Please read my other reviews and give your honest comments as well

- Bill Gates -

Sahani Nimandra
Favorite Book: Harry Potter and The Sorceress Stone
Currently Reading: Man of the World
Bookshelf Size: 698
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sahani-nimandra.html
Latest Review: I once had a Farm in Ireland by Siggy Buckley
Reading Device: Huawei

Post by Sahani Nimandra »

Sushan wrote: 26 Jul 2018, 13:45
Sahani Nimandra wrote: 26 Jul 2018, 11:12 Good review! I have read this book before so I can agree with you on your account.

Thanks for the kind reply. Please read my other reviews and give your honest comments as well
Sure!
The person, be it gentleman or lady, who has not pleasure in a good novel, must be intolerably stupid! - Jane Austen :techie-studyingbrown:
Shilpa Paul
Currently Reading: Temptation Trials Revolution
Bookshelf Size: 110
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shilpa-paul.html
Latest Review: Cat Detectives in the Korean Peninsula by R.F. Kristi

Post by Shilpa Paul »

Thanks for the review. I too do not believe in following a guru and follow his philosophies. I would rather sail through the ups and downs positively and claim it as life's experience. Will read it as an autobiography and take away the positive points as we do for all good books
Sushan Ekanayake

Shilpa Paul wrote: 21 Aug 2018, 07:28 Thanks for the review. I too do not believe in following a guru and follow his philosophies. I would rather sail through the ups and downs positively and claim it as life's experience. Will read it as an autobiography and take away the positive points as we do for all good books
Thanks for agreeing with me and the kind reply. I am glad that my review was of some use to you

- Bill Gates -

Book Lover 35
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-book-lover-35.html
Latest Review: VieVie La Fontaine by Linda Heavner Gerald

Post by Book Lover 35 »

I thought it was a romance too before reading reviews on it. I liked your introduction. Wonderful review!
:tiphat:
Shrabastee Chakraborty
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: The Warramunga's War
Currently Reading: Timewise
Bookshelf Size: 1153
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shrabastee-chakraborty.html
Latest Review: The Infinite Passion of Life by D.J. Paolini

Post by Shrabastee Chakraborty »

I find your reading experience to be so similar to mine. I also thought this was a romance, "and then I read the description". Again, I was skeptical even when reading because just like you said, self-help books typically talk about such things which are often not possible to apply in our daily life. But again, I was captivated by the lessons the author seemed to draw from simple life experiences. It really changes your outlook. Thanks so much for the insightful review, I really enjoyed reading it!
Sushan Ekanayake

Shrabastee wrote: 01 Nov 2018, 01:36 I find your reading experience to be so similar to mine. I also thought this was a romance, "and then I read the description". Again, I was skeptical even when reading because just like you said, self-help books typically talk about such things which are often not possible to apply in our daily life. But again, I was captivated by the lessons the author seemed to draw from simple life experiences. It really changes your outlook. Thanks so much for the insightful review, I really enjoyed reading it!
Glad to find someone who has same thinking pattern as mine. Thanks for the kind reply and I am happy that my review was useful for you :tiphat:

- Bill Gates -

Sushan Ekanayake

Book Lover 35 wrote: 31 Oct 2018, 23:43 I thought it was a romance too before reading reviews on it. I liked your introduction. Wonderful review!
I am glad that you liked my review. Thanks for stopping by 👍👍

- Bill Gates -

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”