Review by Britty01 -- The Warramunga's War by Greg Kater

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Britty01
Favorite Book: Will's Red Coat
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 80
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-britty01.html
Latest Review: Apollo's Raven by Linnea Tanner
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Review by Britty01 -- The Warramunga's War by Greg Kater

Post by Britty01 »

[Following is a volunteer review of "The Warramunga's War" by Greg Kater.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Review of "The Warramunga’s War" by Greg Kater
by Britty01, May 25, 2018

The historical fiction entitled “The Warramunga’s War" by Greg Kater, contains 304 pages in the paperback edition published January 12, 2018.

This is the first of a trilogy. Jamie Munro and Corporal Jack ‘Jacko’ meet up in the midst of the final gun battle at Damour in 1941 where Lieutenant James Munro and a fellow officer are under attack by members of the Vichy French. After the end of the Syrian Campaign James and Jack are transferred to Cairo, Egypt where they work with M16 and are trained to follow German agents.

I enjoyed the interaction of the fictional characters and actual historical events of World War II and found the in-depth description of the streets, people, dancers and what they wore to be fascinating. It really bought the book to life for me and was easy to imagine the scene. This was not an easy book to put down and there was action, intrigue and suspense at every turn.

There were several women, many of these being dancers, who were either working with the British, Italians or Germans. Jamie and Jack got to know some of these women and other operatives who would help them in their efforts to gather information that would aid the Allies. Their goal was to search for clues and find out how to crack the codes the Germans were using in their transmissions as well as neutralizing the enemy agents.

It appeared to me that the author had done extensive research, inspired from his father’s experiences during World War II, in the writing of this novel. The actual historical events and timing was accurate. The attack on Pearl Harbor was mentioned, also an explanation of how the widows of the British officers stationed in Cairo were stranded there as planes were being used for the war effort. The city was a placed used by many officers recovering from injuries so it was fairly easy for Jamie and Jacko to move around without arousing too much suspicion. The wireless operations, ammunitions, guns and equipment uncovered during these raids were carefully described.

Cairo was brimming with people from all over the world during this period of history, not surprisingly there was also a lot of crime. An additional plot that added to the intrigue was an unsolved spate of murders.
One particular part of the story that I enjoyed was a visit to the Pyramids at Giza. A French/Syrian girl gives Jacko a tour of the area and explained the history of the Great Pyramid built by Pharaoh Khufu. I also enjoyed the descriptions of the 12 acre gardens of a sumptuous home on the West Bank of the river Nile where Jacko, Jamie, Johnny & Matt spent Christmas, the holiday traditions of the host family, and the mix of people from parts around the world. The blend of everyday life and the intrigue of espionage and counter espionage kept me engaged throughout the book.

Rommel’s troops are prevented from reaching the sea port of Alexandria and once the operation ends, Jamie and Jacko return to Australia. Here they learn that a band of thieves have been terrorizing the locals and have kidnapped three women. One of them, they suspect is a murderer. Jacko utilizes all of his skills as a Warramunga. His sister is also an integral part of them rescuing the women and capturing the criminals. They return to the Warramunga people where they are hailed as heroes. A description of the corroboree held in celebration was also very detailed and added to the quality of this novel.

Overall I felt this book had all the elements of a great piece of historical fiction, accurate historical facts, murder, intrigue, and a touch of romance. I enjoyed the author’s humor and the colloquial expressions used. The characters were well developed. I felt the book was well edited. For this reason I gave it 4 out of 4.

I would definitely recommend this to those who enjoy history, and reading historical fiction. I would not recommend it for young teenagers due to the adult content. Some may not find the dialog between the main characters of interest if they solely want a war story.

The Warramunga's War
View: on Bookshelves

Like Britty01's review? Post a comment saying so!
Chelsy Scherba
In It Together VIP
Favorite Author: Jordan David
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 837
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chelsy-scherba.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman
fav_author_id: 64963

Post by Chelsy Scherba »

I really enjoy books about the WWII era. I’ll definitely consider looking into this book. Awesome review!
Jackie Holycross
Currently Reading: The 7 Experiment
Bookshelf Size: 306
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-teacherjh.html
Latest Review: 20 World Religions and Faith Practices by Robyn Lebron

Post by Jackie Holycross »

I'm not a historical fiction fan, but I'm glad you enjoyed this one. It sounds well done.
Britty01
Currently Reading:

Post by Britty01 »

Momiji1987 wrote: 29 May 2018, 17:11 I really enjoy books about the WWII era. I’ll definitely consider looking into this book. Awesome review!
Thank you so much for your kind comment.
Bianka Walter
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: The Old Man and the Sea
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 368
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bianka-walter.html
Latest Review: Thir13en by Keegan Nielsen
Reading Device: B06XD5YCKX

Post by Bianka Walter »

I love that the story was well researched. Especially in historical fiction, it's so easy to veer off track and make the story unauthentic. I know that when I read things like this, I like to jump on to Wikipedia and look into the things that I find interesting. So best they be true :)
I really enjoyed your review - thanks so much!
You can find magic wherever you look. Sit back and relax, all you need is a book.
- Dr. Seuss
Britty01
Currently Reading:

Post by Britty01 »

Bianka Walter wrote: 24 Jun 2018, 15:16 I love that the story was well researched. Especially in historical fiction, it's so easy to veer off track and make the story unauthentic. I know that when I read things like this, I like to jump on to Wikipedia and look into the things that I find interesting. So best they be true :)
I really enjoyed your review - thanks so much!
Thank you Bianka. I tend to google or do an online search when I am reading historical fiction also.
Julie Green
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 45
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-julie-green.html
Latest Review: Fate Line by Marc J. Seifer

Post by Julie Green »

Nice review...and this sounds like an interesting WW2 book. The idea that widows were stranded was something I would never have appreciated for example.
NuelUkah
Favorite Book: Heaven and Earth
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 283
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nuelukah.html
Latest Review: Dibs and Dabs of my Life by Gertrude Coulter

Post by NuelUkah »

I like stories about the military. Quite unfortunate the stories are also accompanied by war stories.

Greg did a great job creating imaginary scenes in the reader's mind with the help of James and Jack.

Well developed story and educative as well.
If you are TOO BIG to DO SMALL things, then you are TOO SMALL to DO BIG things...

If you want to be remembered long after you are gone, WRITE books worth READING or DO things worth WRITING about...
stacie k
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 192
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stacie-k.html
Latest Review: River Kids by Jennie Linnane

Post by stacie k »

I enjoy historical fiction of the WW2 era. It was such a complex time with so many groups involved that there are multiple perspectives to explore. I appreciate that this one was well researched.
“The tongue of the wise makes knowledge acceptable.” Proverbs 15:2a
Sarah G
Favorite Author: Brandon Sanderson
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 83
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sarah-g.html
Latest Review: Smith by Sam B Miller II
fav_author_id: 4040

Post by Sarah G »

Sounds like there's a lot going on in this book. Not my kind of style book but glad you enjoyed it :-)
The purpose of a storyteller is not to tell you how to think, but to give you questions to think upon
Espie
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: Behind the Barbed Wire Fence
Currently Reading: Noah's Quest
Bookshelf Size: 118
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-espie.html
Latest Review: Why Me: Trash Collector, Mental Issues by Nikolay N Bey

Post by Espie »

I've read a lot of positive feedback for the author and a number of his books. It seems like this piece is another one of his well-researched and well-written ones. It's good you've found it noteworthy, too. Thank you for your descriptive review.
"Life has many different chapters for us. One bad chapter doesn't mean it's the end of the book."-Unknown
"To err is human; to forgive, divine."-Alexander Pope
"Put GOD first; He'll bless your efforts with success."-Proverbs
LV2R
Favorite Book: Crown of Crimson (The Afterlight Chronicles Book 1)
Currently Reading: Roan
Bookshelf Size: 345
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lv2r.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker

Post by LV2R »

The story sounds like it has a lot of action and details about WWII and places in Egypt. Jacko and Jamie solved murders and rescued some women who were kidnapped. The skills of the Warramunga were surely interesting as well.
Connie Otwani
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 200
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cotwani.html
Latest Review: The Fisherman and his Foundlings by Phillip Leighton-Daly

Post by Connie Otwani »

I felt this book had all the elements of a great piece of historical fiction, accurate historical facts, murder, intrigue, and a touch of romance.
Sounds like a well rounded historical fiction novel. Thanks for the balanced review!
There is more treasure in books than in all the pirates’ loot on Treasure Island!
-Walt Disney
Sahani Nimandra
Favorite Book: Harry Potter and The Sorceress Stone
Currently Reading: Man of the World
Bookshelf Size: 698
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sahani-nimandra.html
Latest Review: I once had a Farm in Ireland by Siggy Buckley
Reading Device: Huawei

Post by Sahani Nimandra »

I have read the book two of this series and it was really great. It's actually the book one that compelled me to read book two. Thank you for your review! I'm glad that you enjoyed this read!
The person, be it gentleman or lady, who has not pleasure in a good novel, must be intolerably stupid! - Jane Austen :techie-studyingbrown:
Ma Cheryll
Currently Reading: Grace Revealed
Bookshelf Size: 127
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ma-cheryll.html
Latest Review: Beneath the Muscle by Lauren Powers

Post by Ma Cheryll »

Thank you for sharing your very descriptive review regarding this wonderful historical fiction. I’m sure many book lovers of this genre would be rushing in to get their own copy. Thank you again. Best regards!

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”