Review by Brittany J -- Toni the Superhero by R.D. Base

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Brittany J
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-brittany-j.html
Latest Review: Final Notice by Van Fleisher

Review by Brittany J -- Toni the Superhero by R.D. Base

Post by Brittany J »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Toni the Superhero" by R.D. Base.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Toni the Superhero is a short illustrated children's book by R.D. Base. The purpose of this book is to help young children, ages 0 to 4, become familiar with reading. At first glance, the main character, Toni, doesn't appear to be just any ordinary kid. He's actually a superhero, but as we soon find out in the story, Toni isn't so different from us after all. He likes to dance, read, jump, sleep, and even sweep the floor.

This book is fully illustrated with one short sentence describing each scene from Toni's life. The sentence structure is simple and repetitive making it a good tool for children to ease into sight reading. The child can easily follow along as the story is read by an adult until their confidence is built up enough to try it on their own. The illustrations are bright, vivid, and engaging to young readers. They do not contain too many elements that could distract from the message. A good opportunity is provided for an adult to discuss with the child what they see and think about each illustration before reading the sentence.

An interesting feature of this superhero book is that Toni never does anything particularly noteworthy of a superhero. He doesn't save the world or stop a bad a guy from committing a despicable crime. What he does do is complete everyday tasks that are good for his health, his family, and his community, like rescuing animals. Children are impressionable and I like this idea that being a cool superhero means also doing your chores, eating your vegetables, and being active with your friends. Children love to fantasize and books give them inspiration. This story gives them a fantastical character who enjoys normal hobbies and accomplishes regular feats, making Toni a great character for kids to emulate.

I like that this book can also open up a discussion about what the young child likes or dislikes. Is it the same as what Toni likes? Does the child want to be a superhero like Toni? What else does the child like?

I rate this book 4 out of 4 stars because of its educational and entertainment value for children just starting to read. The book is well edited and I did not find any errors. Having previously taught English as a second language to young learners and I would recommend this book as a teaching aid for any parent or teacher introducing the concept of reading to a small child.

Toni the Superhero
View: on Bookshelves

Like Brittany J's review? Post a comment saying so!
Brittany J
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-brittany-j.html
Latest Review: Final Notice by Van Fleisher

Post by Brittany J »

I should mention, "ages 0 to 4" was what was written in this book's description and that is why I included it in the review. I meant to make note at the end of my review that I do not personally believe this is beneficial for 0 to 1 year-olds and that I'd recommend it for small children ages 2 to 4.
dtb
Currently Reading: A Darker Shade of Magic
Bookshelf Size: 42
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dtb.html
Latest Review: Four Funny Potatoes! by Len Foley
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by dtb »

It sounds like Tony is a very good example for younger kids.

Thanks for a great review.
gen_g
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: 1984
Bookshelf Size: 104
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gen-g.html
Latest Review: The Diary That Will Change Your Lives Forever by Georgios Zelelidis

Post by gen_g »

Thanks for the detailed review - I always like it when a children's book is both fun and informative.
alisonedgee
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alisonedgee.html
Latest Review: Lemoncella Cocktail by Rene Natan

Post by alisonedgee »

great review, this sounds like a great book to have around for new parents
Ashiyya Tariq
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 235
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ashiyya-tariq.html
Latest Review: Deadly Waters: The Vietnam Naval War And Its Aftermath by Randy Miller
Reading Device: PDF

Post by Ashiyya Tariq »

It's a very interesting book beautiful illustrations. I really enjoyed this book. Feel free to check out my review of this book. And thanks for this thorough review.
Make your ideals high enough to inspire you and low enough to encourage you.

๐Ÿ“•๐Ÿ“–๐Ÿ“ฐ๐Ÿ““๐Ÿ“•
Nimat87
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 33
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nimat87.html
Latest Review: Man Mission by Eytan Uliel
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Nimat87 »

Thank you for such an explanatory review. The book sounds like fun all the way. I like the way a superhero is portrayed here, not as something unrealistic.
'We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act but a habit. '
-Will Durant, The Story of Philosophy (1926).
:eusa-think: :clap: :escribir:
Rahulpreeti
Currently Reading: The Expansion
Bookshelf Size: 3

Post by Rahulpreeti »

Such a great book. Thanks for your review. This book sound like fun and i enjoy it.

Return to โ€œVolunteer Reviewsโ€