Review by daniya__shah3 -- Trip to Adele

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
daniya__shah3
Currently Reading: Wuthering Heights
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-daniya-shah3.html
Latest Review: Lonely Expiation by Siegfried Finser

Review by daniya__shah3 -- Trip to Adele

Post by daniya__shah3 »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Trip to Adele" by R I Alyaseer and A I Alyaseer.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

My Trip to Adele , inspired by one of Adele's concert, is a novel co-authored by the Alyaseer siblings. The book explores the commonality among the lives of different protagonists who are struggling against the twin axis of faith and fate, trying to figure out the fallouts in their respective relationships. It presents three stories at once- of a man set on a journey in search of his lover after years of separation; of a single mother understanding the meaning and importance of her freedom; and of a couple trying to work out their failed marriage through the means of reviving a significant memory.

The novel features multiple perspectives, which contribute to the depth and dimension of the three linear plots, running parallel to each other. The characters are set on a quest, seeking to fill their personal voids. The concert of Adele works like a string, binding their stories together. There is a unique sense of double-edge associated with each theme, whether it be the clash between faith and mythicism or love and sin.

The thing which I liked the most about the story was the successful incorporation of Adele's songs in every chapter. Her songs have been used to highlight the individual stories, serving as a backdrop against them, presenting them in a more vivid light. Another thing which managed to keep me hooked to the novel was the portrayal of women such as Nadia and Malika as strong and independent beings, ready to change their situations by defying patriarchy. I liked the depiction of an alternate reality which has been portrayed through the character of Yaser, who stands as a example to prove that even men can be submitted into silence.

Apart from all this, there is an element that I did not like in particular- the constant shift in perspectives. The multiple perspectives did help in traversing along various settings, but they made the storyline a bit confusing. I think switching from a narrator to another can easily put off people from continuing to read a story.

In terms of readability, the book proved to be a unique, yet a light read, including a comprehensible diction which can be easily understood by majority of the english reading community. I am giving this book a rating of 3 out of 4 stars. It would have been a full score if the narratorial voice were omniscient instead. Other than this, the book is a good read and can be recommended to readers from all age groups.

Trip to Adele
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like daniya__shah3's review? Post a comment saying so!
"We are all in the gutter but some of us are looking at the stars."
-Oscar Wilde
zk42011
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by zk42011 »

Your review is really insightful and unique. I loved the way you have discussed narratorial voice, various elements and the use of Adele's songs without spoiling the plot. Thank you so much! You have made my mind to read this.
daniya__shah3

Post by daniya__shah3 »

zk42011 wrote: 12 Jun 2018, 04:39 Your review is really insightful and unique. I loved the way you have discussed narratorial voice, various elements and the use of Adele's songs without spoiling the plot. Thank you so much! You have made my mind to read this.
I'm glad you enjoyed reading my review!
-Oscar Wilde
Lekingson130

Post by Lekingson130 »

Your scintillating use of words is what really got me!....I love ur work.
daniya__shah3

Post by daniya__shah3 »

Lekingson130 wrote: 12 Jun 2018, 05:38 Your scintillating use of words is what really got me!....I love ur work.
Thank you so much! I'm glad you enjoyed reading the review!
-Oscar Wilde
Shafia16

Post by Shafia16 »

To be honest, I am not a fan of Adele. I found the link to your review on the OnlineBookClub facebook page and accidentally clicked on it. I didn't know I'll be drawn by your words, urging me to sign up for an account just for the means for leaving a comment here. I feel as if a lot of deserving people do not get appreciated for their skills very often , so I make sure to let them know how truly amazing they are. Absolutely amazing writing skills girl! Keep up the good work!
daniya__shah3

Post by daniya__shah3 »

Shafia16 wrote: 12 Jun 2018, 12:16 To be honest, I am not a fan of Adele. I found the link to your review on the OnlineBookClub facebook page and accidentally clicked on it. I didn't know I'll be drawn by your words, urging me to sign up for an account just for the means for leaving a comment here. I feel as if a lot of deserving people do not get appreciated for their skills very often , so I make sure to let them know how truly amazing they are. Absolutely amazing writing skills girl! Keep up the good work!
This comment means everything. I appreciate that you are putting efforts to make sure people get the recognition they deserve. Thanky you so much!
-Oscar Wilde
Jaimie95
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jaimie95.html
Latest Review: One Way or Another by Mary J. Williams

Post by Jaimie95 »

I enjoyed this review. As an Adele fan, I'd like to see how her songs are incorporated into the chapters. This sounds like a great read. :)
Amy+++
Favorite Book: The Mister
Currently Reading: Last Chance Cafe
Bookshelf Size: 218
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amy.html
Latest Review: The Chauvinist's Guide to Modern Romance by Morris Rollins
Reading Device: B01CRGNO4S

Post by Amy+++ »

I also gave this book a 3 out of 4 stars, only because when I went to review it, it was listed under romance and I found no such thing as I read it. The book was good don't get me wrong but I was expecting to be reading a romance and come to find out I wasn't. Your review good. Keep up the good work.
Espie
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: Behind the Barbed Wire Fence
Currently Reading: Noah's Quest
Bookshelf Size: 118
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-espie.html
Latest Review: Why Me: Trash Collector, Mental Issues by Nikolay N Bey

Post by Espie »

I read, reviewed, and loved this book. It's not just because I'm an Adele fan, but because it defied my expectations in more ways than one but it didn't disappoint me at all. I understand that we've got varying viewpoints that made you give it a less-than-perfect rating. I just thought that such added more real-life depth and complexity to the fictional piece. Thank you for your honest and thorough review.
"Life has many different chapters for us. One bad chapter doesn't mean it's the end of the book."-Unknown
"To err is human; to forgive, divine."-Alexander Pope
"Put GOD first; He'll bless your efforts with success."-Proverbs

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”