Review by thaservices1 -- The Broadcast by Liam Fialkov

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
thaservices1
Favorite Book: Nightlord: Sunset
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 89
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-thaservices1.html
Latest Review: ChatGPT for Entrepreneurs by Steven A. Ridder

Review by thaservices1 -- The Broadcast by Liam Fialkov

Post by thaservices1 »

[Following is a volunteer review of "The Broadcast" by Liam Fialkov.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The Broadcast
By Liam Fialkov

The Broadcast is an interesting book of intertwining lives. Sarah was sixteen when one mysterious night changed her life forever. Sarah's trust is betrayed by those around her and she is sent away to face her shame as a teenage mother. Her trust is further betrayed when her newborn son is ripped away from her. Two decades later Sarah's life has fallen into decline and her past tortures her into making poor choices. Meanwhile, strange things are happening in the world.

A new television series is taking the world by storm. The show, called The Broadcast, is airing video clips that astound viewers. Controversy whirls around the show, some being amazed at the new technology and others claiming it is a hoax. Sarah is inexplicably drawn to the show and feels as if it has some personal meaning to her own past. As the television series plays out it closely touches the lives of seemingly random people and draws them together towards a stunning conclusion.

The Broadcast has one of the most unusual plots I have ever read. Fialkov's treatment is interesting and he has created a captivating story. The characters are well thought out and their histories explained in detail. The turmoil of Sarah's inner life is well described and her motivations made clear. Fialkov takes care to provide clear reasoning for her actions. This is true of his other characters as well. He treats each one with detail and expressive description. The story captured my imagination. The mystery surrounding the television series and the way it influences the characters was fascinating.

I thoroughly enjoyed the book, however, I cannot say that Fialkov is a polished writer. The writing is sometimes halting and it does not flow naturally in many spots. The dialogue is often very stiff. Characters who should be comfortable with each other talk like strangers. There is a very formal way of speaking. There are many chapters that begin with an unnecessary reiteration of character histories. Character details are also repeated unnecessarily. It's a difficult line I am trying to express. Fialkov's writing IS good. It is detailed and conveys emotion, but it is missing something. The best description I can give is the difference between looking at a photograph and a painting. Failkov's writing is like looking at the photograph.

Overall the book was a pleasure to read. The plot is detailed and surprising. I give The Broadcast a rating of 3 out of 4 stars. The story is fascinating and the characters memorable, but the writing style is unpolished. I would recommend this book to readers of many genres. Thriller and drama readers will enjoy the emotional character connections and slowly unraveling storyline. Science fiction readers will enjoy the mysterious workings of the television show. The writing is quite intelligent and I believe other readers will enjoy the detailed history descriptions, as well as the exploration of more unorthodox historical theories.

The Broadcast
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like thaservices1's review? Post a comment saying so!
"It is not the critic that counts..."
- Roosevelt
gen_g
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: 1984
Bookshelf Size: 104
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gen-g.html
Latest Review: The Diary That Will Change Your Lives Forever by Georgios Zelelidis

Post by gen_g »

Thanks for the review - this seems like an enjoyable read, and would be even better once it has been edited. The premise is interesting and the characters well-developed - it is going onto my to-read list.
kfwilson6
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Lord of Chaos
Bookshelf Size: 298
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kfwilson6.html
Latest Review: The Stone Wall Crossing by Alice Schellhorn Magrane
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by kfwilson6 »

I've been wanting to read this since I saw it as BOTD. Very interesting concept. From the sample I would have to agree about the stilted dialogue. Great review. I think you did a good job of summarizing the plot. I look forward to reading this book.
thaservices1
Currently Reading:

Post by thaservices1 »

Thank you both. I'm pleased you liked my review. The book is enjoyable even with the dialogue issues. Very bizarre story.
- Roosevelt
Jackie Holycross
Currently Reading: The 7 Experiment
Bookshelf Size: 306
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-teacherjh.html
Latest Review: 20 World Religions and Faith Practices by Robyn Lebron

Post by Jackie Holycross »

I downloaded this one to read later. It sounds amazing.
thaservices1
Currently Reading:

Post by thaservices1 »

teacherjh wrote: 28 May 2018, 17:09 I downloaded this one to read later. It sounds amazing.
It is a good read. It is one of the few I've held onto to re-read later. I think you will enjoy it.
- Roosevelt

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”