Review by Ever_Reading -- And Then I Met Margaret

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Anon_Reviewer
Favorite Book: A Thousand Splendid Suns
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 146
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anon-reviewer.html
Latest Review: Niching Up by Chris Dreyer
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Review by Ever_Reading -- And Then I Met Margaret

Post by Anon_Reviewer »

[Following is a volunteer review of "And Then I Met Margaret" by Rob White.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Mark Haddon once said, “Reading is a conversation. All books talk. But a good book listens as well.” And Then I Met Margaret did exactly that for me: it listened. As I read the book it felt like Rob White was speaking directly to me and helping me make sense of the many confusing events that have taken place in my life.

In 21 chapters, White talks about life-changing moments he has experienced in his seven decades of living. And, in the most beautiful way, he pays homage to people, or "gurus" as he calls them, who have each taught him very important lessons. Lessons that have and continue to help him succeed despite the challenges he faces.

The astonishing thing about the book is that a lot of the gurus Rob mentions are ordinary people. For example, Peter, who sells peanuts at a park teaches Rob the importance of actively choosing life over death. Some of the gurus are not even human! Like the Spanish bulls of Pamplona that make Rob realize the beauty of living in the moment.

White did well to write the book in the first person because it made me feel like I was taking the journey with him. By the end, his failures had become my failures and his victories my victories. And most of the lessons he learned and the realizations he made, I now embraced as my own.

And Then I Met Margaret is a unique work of non-fiction. I love that the author speaks about his failures as much as he speaks about his successes. This aspect makes the book realistic and relatable. I honestly felt like an old friend of mine was telling me the story of his life.

Also, Rob White narrates the events of his life so well, the book almost reads like fiction. White’s way with words held my attention throughout the 185 pages of the book. There were a couple of grammatical errors but nothing a little editing cannot fix!

I give the book 4 out of 4 stars. I have no reason to give it a lower rating because I had a good time reading it and I learned a whole lot.

This book is perfect for anyone looking to improve himself/herself or aspects of his/her life. My greatest takeaway from the book is that life is always teaching. We just have to choose to listen and to learn.

And Then I Met Margaret
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like Ever_Reading's review? Post a comment saying so!
kfwilson6
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Lord of Chaos
Bookshelf Size: 298
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kfwilson6.html
Latest Review: The Stone Wall Crossing by Alice Schellhorn Magrane

Post by kfwilson6 »

I saw this as the book of the day and was somewhat torn about reading it. I have to be in the mood for a self-improvement book. Your review has convinced me this needs to be the next self-improvement book I read. Excellent review. Welcome to the review team and love your profile pic :)
Brittany J
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-brittany-j.html
Latest Review: Final Notice by Van Fleisher

Post by Brittany J »

I too, found Rob White to be an excellent story teller and felt it was very conversational like an old friend telling a story. He really shows what can happen if we just make the effort to truly listen to others.
Anon_Reviewer
Currently Reading:

Post by Anon_Reviewer »

kfwilson6 wrote: 26 May 2018, 19:20 I saw this as the book of the day and was somewhat torn about reading it. I have to be in the mood for a self-improvement book. Your review has convinced me this needs to be the next self-improvement book I read. Excellent review. Welcome to the review team and love your profile pic :)
Please do read the book if you can, it'll be worth your time! And thank you for the welcome, I'm having a good time on the team so far :D
BTW Nick Wilde thanks you for the compliment :wink2:
Anon_Reviewer
Currently Reading:

Post by Anon_Reviewer »

Brittany J wrote: 27 May 2018, 00:35 I too, found Rob White to be an excellent story teller and felt it was very conversational like an old friend telling a story. He really shows what can happen if we just make the effort to truly listen to others.
I couldn't agree with you more Brittany!
dtb
Currently Reading: A Darker Shade of Magic
Bookshelf Size: 42
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dtb.html
Latest Review: Four Funny Potatoes! by Len Foley

Post by dtb »

Thank you for a good review. I was curious about this book, and you answered questions that I had.
alisonedgee
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alisonedgee.html
Latest Review: Lemoncella Cocktail by Rene Natan

Post by alisonedgee »

good review, i looks forward to reading this one
gen_g
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: 1984
Bookshelf Size: 104
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gen-g.html
Latest Review: The Diary That Will Change Your Lives Forever by Georgios Zelelidis

Post by gen_g »

Thank you for the detailed review, it seems like an informative and fascinating read!
Anon_Reviewer
Currently Reading:

Post by Anon_Reviewer »

alisonedgee wrote: 27 May 2018, 10:30 good review, i looks forward to reading this one
Thank you :D I hope you enjoy reading it!
Anon_Reviewer
Currently Reading:

Post by Anon_Reviewer »

gen_g wrote: 27 May 2018, 12:03 Thank you for the detailed review, it seems like an informative and fascinating read!
That it is, my friend. Thank you for your reply :wink2:
revna01
Currently Reading: Storm Front
Bookshelf Size: 143
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-revna01.html
Latest Review: Rufus: A Boy's Extraordinary Experiences in the Civil War by Phoebe Sheldon

Post by revna01 »

You did a great job capturing the essence of this book. I'm glad you enjoyed it so much.
Anon_Reviewer
Currently Reading:

Post by Anon_Reviewer »

SABRADLEY wrote: 29 May 2018, 23:04 You did a great job capturing the essence of this book. I'm glad you enjoyed it so much.
I really had a great time reading the book. Thanks a ton for your comments :D
Dolor
Favorite Author: Craig R. Key
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12472
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dolor.html
Latest Review: The Center of Gravity by Patricia Brandon
Reading Device: 1400697484
fav_author_id: 115430

Post by Dolor »

I had read great reviews on this book but I was not able to read the whole book. Yes, life is full of lessons to learn. I'm glad you enjoyed reading this book. Thanks for sharing your views.
Sanju Lali
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading: Goodbye, Rudy Kazoody
Bookshelf Size: 445
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sanju-lali.html
Latest Review: The Unfakeable Code® by Tony Jeton Selimi
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by Sanju Lali »

very nice review and your score indicates that reading this book could be really useful. thanks for giving good insight of it
life is only knowing the unknown, we can do this by reading books easily- Online book club is a great place for this. This is what I believe.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”