Review by Espie -- Strong Heart by Charlie Sheldon

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Espie
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: Behind the Barbed Wire Fence
Currently Reading: Noah's Quest
Bookshelf Size: 118
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-espie.html
Latest Review: Why Me: Trash Collector, Mental Issues by Nikolay N Bey

Review by Espie -- Strong Heart by Charlie Sheldon

Post by Espie »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Strong Heart" by Charlie Sheldon.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Strong Heart by Charlie Sheldon is about the arduous yet wonder-filled journey of a headstrong orphaned girl named Sarah Cooley, which started when she surprisingly appeared on the doorstep of her grandfather, Tom. The two, along with well-educated Myra and her sailor dad, William, traveled and explored the majestic landscapes of the Olympic National Park on their way to pay customary homage to Sarah's great-great-grandfather, Bob-bob. It was a trip of discoveries and a wonderful instantaneous holiday made interesting by the initial personality skirmishes between Sarah and Tom, the condescending employee presence of a company threatened by the group of four's find, and, more especially, Sarah's perplexing yet stirring extraordinary experience.

The adventure fiction book is not for those who prefer either factual historical accounts or fantastical tales in the purest form per traditional definitions. On the other hand, it will appeal to those who are open to be enticed by a unique blend of pragmatic consciousness and imaginative mysticism.

I give the book 4 out of 4 stars because it is flawlessly-written in both technical and aesthetic terms. I like the seamless way it interwove convention and tradition as it looks at Tom who didn't believe in folklore much but still chose to trek great lengths to remember a deceased ancestor. Customary societal norms and generational unique identifiers are challenged when thirteen year old Sarah disdained the rigidity of her grandfather's expectations, seasoned by her past to become a young woman in her own right at such an early stage. As she was plunged into a thrilling yet dangerous mysterious caper, her romp turned into a feat which not only changed her life but gave her something that the others could only hope for. The contrast and interplay between trusted established pedagogy and controversial unwritten lore had been highlighted in Myra who, with her education and stature in the scientific community, would have always stuck to facts but was still enthralled by fables of the past to anchor her theories on. Also revealed is how initially-unbelievable assumptions could become foundations for strongly-supported theoretical explorations when geneticist Sergei joined the four in their latter journey. His original ideas may have unexpectedly clashed with Myra's despite their career common grounds but he inevitably got swayed by convincing new findings later on.

I also admire how the author cleverly integrated tinges of his own personal background into the book's characters' thoughts and propensities. With a graduate degree himself, he has armed Myra and Sergei with his same brand of technically-intensive breadth of knowledge to explore and challenge existing accepted data on human migration. Also as a wayfaring sailor by profession and a frequent wanderer in the Olympics by choice himself, he adeptly mustered his nautical expertise and past-time passions in carefully laying out the way points, landmarks, navigational courses, and everything else to complement and complete the fanciful land and sea backdrops of the book's voyages and perspectives.

I noticed three errors in the piece but such were just very minor ones, which were the following: a misplaced word (i.e. "urgent") in line 2 of paragraph 2 in page 1; an extra "it" in line 7 at paragraph 1 of page 9; and, "Across the Bering land bridge" in line 9 of page 26 is a fragment or not a complete thought and, thus, not a grammatically-correct declarative sentence. As compared to my first book review in this site, this one took me a longer time to complete. The greater number of words per page obscured readability and made it more difficult for me to finish the book to begin with. However, this could be resolvable in a subsequent printed version of the book or variations thereof, and doesn't essentially totally diminish the written work's undeniable worth and compelling merits.

Strong Heart
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like Espie's review? Post a comment saying so!
"Life has many different chapters for us. One bad chapter doesn't mean it's the end of the book."-Unknown
"To err is human; to forgive, divine."-Alexander Pope
"Put GOD first; He'll bless your efforts with success."-Proverbs
dtb
Currently Reading: A Darker Shade of Magic
Bookshelf Size: 42
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dtb.html
Latest Review: Four Funny Potatoes! by Len Foley
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by dtb »

I read (and reviewed) this book too. It's one of my favorites. I enjoyed reading about your thoughts, especially your consideration of the characters. Thank you for a great review.
Espie

Post by Espie »

dtb wrote: 28 May 2018, 09:27 I read (and reviewed) this book too. It's one of my favorites. I enjoyed reading about your thoughts, especially your consideration of the characters. Thank you for a great review.
Thank you for your kind words and for taking the time to read through my review. Like you, I'm glad I picked it because it's really worth reading. I've just known from somewhere that the next volume is in the pipeline and the author already started on the third one, so we've got more of the story to look forward to. Cheers.
"Life has many different chapters for us. One bad chapter doesn't mean it's the end of the book."-Unknown
mamalui
Favorite Book: Trip to Adele
Currently Reading: Split Adam
Bookshelf Size: 198
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mamalui.html
Latest Review: The MECE Muse by Christie Lindor
Reading Device: 1400697484

Post by mamalui »

Thanks for the review Espie. I have read the book and I highly enjoyed it. And I am so glad you did too.
No idea is a bad idea.

Life is what happens to you while you are busy making other plans.
Espie

Post by Espie »

mamalui wrote: 28 May 2018, 13:10 Thanks for the review Espie. I have read the book and I highly enjoyed it. And I am so glad you did too.
It's my pleasure. Thank you as well for taking the time to comment. It's been a good read, indeed. Cheers.
Sanju Lali
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading: Goodbye, Rudy Kazoody
Bookshelf Size: 445
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sanju-lali.html
Latest Review: The Unfakeable Code® by Tony Jeton Selimi
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by Sanju Lali »

Good review about this adventure fantasy book which is about the orphaned girl Sarah's wonder filled journey. all this along will rating suggest that this could be a nice book
life is only knowing the unknown, we can do this by reading books easily- Online book club is a great place for this. This is what I believe.
Espie

Post by Espie »

sanjus wrote: 22 Jun 2018, 16:12 Good review about this adventure fantasy book which is about the orphaned girl Sarah's wonder filled journey. all this along will rating suggest that this could be a nice book
Thank you so much for appreciating my review. Sarah wasn't the pleasant girl at the start but she earned my admiration later on when I got to read more and know her better.
Chelsy Scherba
In It Together VIP
Favorite Author: Jordan David
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 837
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chelsy-scherba.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman
fav_author_id: 64963

Post by Chelsy Scherba »

I really enjoyed your review! I’ve been thinking of reading this book for a while, so I appreciate your thorough assessment of its attributes.
Anon_Reviewer
Favorite Book: A Thousand Splendid Suns
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 146
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anon-reviewer.html
Latest Review: Niching Up by Chris Dreyer
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Anon_Reviewer »

This sounds like a great read. I'm glad the book did not contain too many errors. Awesome review! :D
Espie

Post by Espie »

Momiji1987 wrote: 25 Jun 2018, 00:54 I really enjoyed your review! I’ve been thinking of reading this book for a while, so I appreciate your thorough assessment of its attributes.
Thank you so much! It was a pleasant a one for me. Happy reading!
Espie

Post by Espie »

Ever_Reading wrote: 25 Jun 2018, 10:40 This sounds like a great read. I'm glad the book did not contain too many errors. Awesome review! :D
It didn't disappoint me at all. The errors were not too stark. Thanks a lot!😊
JR Mercier
Favorite Book: The Bear and the Nightingale
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 129
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jr-mercier.html
Latest Review: Betrayal by Maggie Walsh

Post by JR Mercier »

This sounds like a beautiful book! And I love the name Bob-bob. I love stories about families, especially bickering families. You wrote a great review!
Dream up something wild and improbable.
-Strange The Dreamer, Laini Taylor
kmkline120
Currently Reading: Tiny Beautiful Things
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kmkline120.html
Latest Review: If life stinks get your head outta your buts by Mark L. Wdowiak

Post by kmkline120 »

This was a really great review-lots of information and opinion about the book. It sounds like an interesting read and I would like to read it myself. I'm glad you specified that this is fiction and not a book for someone looking for factual historical information because at the beginning of your review I thought this was based on a true story. It is not bad that it's not-just would have been confusing if I went into it thinking it was! Thanks!
Connie Otwani
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 200
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cotwani.html
Latest Review: The Fisherman and his Foundlings by Phillip Leighton-Daly

Post by Connie Otwani »

I love your review Espie. Your recommendation that the book will appeal to those who are open to be enticed by a unique blend of pragmatic consciousness and imaginative mysticism is right on. The book is very rich in heritage.
There is more treasure in books than in all the pirates’ loot on Treasure Island!
-Walt Disney
gen_g
Currently Reading: 1984
Bookshelf Size: 104
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gen-g.html
Latest Review: The Diary That Will Change Your Lives Forever by Georgios Zelelidis

Post by gen_g »

Cotwani wrote: 27 Jun 2018, 16:26 I love your review Espie. Your recommendation that the book will appeal to those who are open to be enticed by a unique blend of pragmatic consciousness and imaginative mysticism is right on. The book is very rich in heritage.
I agree with Cotwani, the book seems to be an intriguing read. Thank you for the detailed review!

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”