Review by Somniate -- Demon Freaks

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Somniate
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-somniate.html
Latest Review: Betrayal of Faith by Mark M. Bello

Review by Somniate -- Demon Freaks

Post by Somniate »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Demon Freaks" by J.R.R.R. (Jim) Hardison.]
Book Cover
2 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Demon Freaks, written by J. R. R. R. (Jim) Hardison begins at the end of a school day. What started with academia ends up being a battle against the forces of evil. The reader is introduced to a bully of a teacher named Mr. Brom, and three of his students: twin brothers Bing and Ron, and their friend Meat. After being pointed out and embarrassed by their teacher, the three kids decide to go to their friend Meat’s cabin to cram for the SATs the next day, inviting their friend (and fellow band member) Kaitlyn along. The boys expect Kaitlyn to be a little late, since she’s always late; they don’t expect for a thunderstorm to roll in, along with the very same abusive teacher.

Upon reading the premise of the book, I thought it would be a fun, fast read. Kids fighting evil, the power of friendship, the supernatural? That’s the kind of thing I like, so I downloaded the book. Now, having finished it and let myself think over it, I rate this book 2 out of 4 stars.

I’ll start with the good things first. The book wasn’t terrible - I read it without wishing that it would just end already, or without considering just putting it down unfinished. One thing that stood out was how Bing and Ron talked like teenagers and felt like them. Many older writers will either forget how it was to be a teenager, or how teenagers act, and it comes out feeling awkward. Hardison avoids that, and the kids that end up getting screen time are endearing. Bing and Ron are good kids with a realistic relationship, not always getting along but clearly caring about each other. Meatball, their friend, ends up growing past ‘lazy drummer’ and becoming a bit more mature. Kaitlyn, on the other hand, is a character I will talk about in a bit.

The author kept the story contained into one day, which kept the novel from getting too long. The action wasn’t poorly written but there was so much of it that it didn’t leave much room for character development, save for the three boys. Pacing in the novel was fast, which encouraged you to keep reading, and if the reader had a question, it tended to get answered in-novel.

Now, the bland and the bad. Like I said, I didn’t hate the novel, and I think that other people that read it could enjoy it. As for me, I kept noticing that the author seemed allergic to the word ‘said’. Nobody just said something - it was always inquired or snapped or shouted or questioned. What Hardison lacked in ‘said’ he replaced with adjectives. I don’t think I’m a person who thinks that you should never use them, but I found myself counting how many I could find on one page. Not something that made me ruin my enjoyment, but it distracted me.

The bad. We’ll start with Kaitlyn, but to be frank, the book wasn’t great about female characters in general. I wanted to like Kaitlyn, because at first it sounded like she was just a bit of a lazy teenager, which is relatable. Then it’s revealed that the reason why she’s so late all the time is because… she spends forever taking showers. At first glance I didn’t think anything of it, but later I realized it was just another ‘ha ha, women take forever in the bathroom!’ joke trying to be a character trait. As the story progressed, we didn’t get much of a view from Kaitlyn’s eyes. It felt like she was just there to agree with things, and say “I thought it was something like that.” How did she come to the conclusion of what was going on? If Hardison could have taken a page or two to elaborate and give us more about her, I think I would have liked her more. I wanted to like her, but she started one dimensional and ended one dimensional. We learned about what Bing wanted to be when he grew up - Ron’s lack of ambition was a character trait - and Meat even realized he hadn’t been thinking about the future at all. What did Kaitlyn want to do after school? Other than showers, what did she like? The author never told us, and it’s kind of depressing.

Three other female characters were introduced, and the author doesn’t give us much about them at all. They’re typically brought up as being female or chicks - like the reader has forgotten that since we last read about them.

Did I hate the book? Well, no. I didn’t love it, either. I feel like if Hardison had gone through a couple more rewrites, it could have been a lot better. Instead it felt like it was half-baked, and I finished the book without feeling one way or another. From meeting the characters, to learning about them, to seeing them put in danger and getting out of it - I never felt any strong emotion for them; or the book in general. All in all, I didn’t hate it, I didn’t love it. It was the fiction equivalent of a fast food meal.

Demon Freaks
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon | on iTunes

Like Somniate's review? Post a comment saying so!
Ginnamassa19
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ginnamassa19.html
Latest Review: The Reel Sisters by Michelle Cummings

Post by Ginnamassa19 »

Oh my god, I agree with literally everything you said here. I did notice the thing about adjectives (I wanted to write about this when I reviewed the book, but I was trying to keep things concise!). And I'd wanted to give Hardison the benefit of the doubt on the badly-written-female-characters issue, but after seeing you put it like that, I feel like I probably should have brought it up. Oh well.

Thank you for your insightful review--I completely agree! :)
alisonedgee
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alisonedgee.html
Latest Review: Lemoncella Cocktail by Rene Natan

Post by alisonedgee »

i've just started reading and i kind of agree - females so far seem a bit flimsy and useless - and i've seen it said a few times now- theres too much going on for the time frame of the book.

thanks for a very honest review.
Somniate
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-somniate.html
Latest Review: Betrayal of Faith by Mark M. Bello

Post by Somniate »

Ginnamassa19 wrote: 29 May 2018, 10:32 Oh my god, I agree with literally everything you said here. I did notice the thing about adjectives (I wanted to write about this when I reviewed the book, but I was trying to keep things concise!). And I'd wanted to give Hardison the benefit of the doubt on the badly-written-female-characters issue, but after seeing you put it like that, I feel like I probably should have brought it up. Oh well.

Thank you for your insightful review--I completely agree! :)
The first time I noticed it, I didn't think anything of it, but then I kept noticing it. It was like someone pointing out that something is shaped like something else, and then you can't get it out of your mind.

And aww, thank you for the compliments! I'm glad that I hit things that other people noticed, and that other people felt weird about the female characters. I think I might be a little less forgiving of stuff like that, but... eh.

alisonedgee wrote: 29 May 2018, 10:37 i've just started reading and i kind of agree - females so far seem a bit flimsy and useless - and i've seen it said a few times now- theres too much going on for the time frame of the book.

thanks for a very honest review.
I've had busy days myself, but in retrospect, I'm thinking about the timeframe of the book. Part of me wonders what it'd look like if I went back and actually tried to figure out how long certain things might take, but... I'm not particularly driven to.

You're welcome! I tried to be honest and fair about it.
JR Mercier
Favorite Book: The Bear and the Nightingale
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 129
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jr-mercier.html
Latest Review: Betrayal by Maggie Walsh

Post by JR Mercier »

I honestly love your take on the book. Your review is brilliant. :lol: :tiphat:
Dream up something wild and improbable.
-Strange The Dreamer, Laini Taylor
thaservices1
Favorite Book: Nightlord: Sunset
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 89
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-thaservices1.html
Latest Review: ChatGPT for Entrepreneurs by Steven A. Ridder

Post by thaservices1 »

This is an excellent review. I noticed the blandness of the female characters, but I took it as the author being sarcastic, what do teenage boys know about girls anyway, sorta thing. But I came into the book having already read some reviews of the author's other works and was expecting some sort of poking fun at everything type humor. I got a kick out of it and the ending cracked me up. I honestly never even noticed the adjective thing! Now I want to go back and look :)
"It is not the critic that counts..."
- Roosevelt
Helen_Combe
Favorite Book: The Martian
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 193
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-helen-combe.html
Latest Review: And The Trees Began To Move by Lisa Gammon Olson
Reading Device: B00M4L4MFC

Post by Helen_Combe »

Great review, though I had a different interpretation of Kaitlin. I thought the book was taking the Mickey out of the horror film genre. And where do women always get murdered? In the shower.
A thesaurus is necessary, essential, indispensable, vital, crucial and fundamental.
Nessa Taylor
Favorite Author: Charles Townsend
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nessa-taylor.html
Latest Review: Of All Faiths & None by Andrew Tweeddale
fav_author_id: 232651

Post by Nessa Taylor »

Nice review, though I disagree with what was said about Kaitlyn. Even though we weren't really able to see things through her eyes, a lot about her could be deduced from her conversations with Meat and the dagger. We know she reads a lot about psychic stuff and is really inquisitive. She's also smart and was sharp enough to point out to Meat the Wagner's deceitful ways.
I guess she didn't come off so one dimensional to me. And I think the shower thing could just be a coping mechanism, I also happen to really like showers.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”