Review by llpwap -- Randy Love...at your service

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
llpwap
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-llpwap.html
Latest Review: Betrayal of Faith by Mark M. Bello

Review by llpwap -- Randy Love...at your service

Post by llpwap »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Randy Love...at your service" by Shay Carter.]
Book Cover
1 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Randy Love…at your service by Shay Carter

Randy Love is a young man that is living with his father after a gap year in the United States. His father, John, wants him to return to the University of Brighton to finish his business degree. However, Randy has other ideas. This novel is about his misadventures while trying to come into his own.

The author gives you a little insight to the Love family before Randy was born. Randy’s mother, Marjorie, had her life all planned out. Randy had a brother, James, who had a degree in law. He also had a sister, Heather, that had a degree in architecture. Randy’s birth was a surprise for the Love family. Marjorie never regained her strength from Randy’s birth and died in her sleep shortly after. Growing up without a mother may be some of reason for Randy behaving the way that he does throughout the book.
Randy starts out by getting jobs through a staffing agency. Most of these jobs he done was the ones that paid the most because no one else wanted to do them. He would find ways on every job to steal liquor or food. He even went as far as watching a couple having sex during a wedding that he was working. Little things like that really irritated me. He jumped from one place to another really having no permanent home of his own. Finally, Randy makes the move to London and starts pulling his life together.

One of the first incidents when you start reading involves their neighbor, Edna Montague. She has issues with John’s dog, Barrett. The way John handled Edna had me laughing out loud as I was reading the incident. That incident alone made John one of my favorite characters. I loved his sarcastic sense of humor. It gave me high hopes for the rest of the novel. Sadly, that was the only part of the book that I really enjoyed.

I absolutely abhorred the way that he used females to get what he wanted. Even though Randy was a good-looking well-built young man he didn’t have to treat women like toys for him to play with. I also didn’t like that he referred to older women as “old bird” either. I understand the author wanted to make a point of how good-looking he was, but she didn’t have to portray the women as nymphomaniacs.

There was no action to this book. I didn’t quite understand the British lingo. I rate this book 1 out of 4 stars.
I would only recommend this book to those that understood British humor.

Randy Love...at your service
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like llpwap's review? Post a comment saying so!
alisonedgee
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alisonedgee.html
Latest Review: Lemoncella Cocktail by Rene Natan

Post by alisonedgee »

oh no!
i've just started reading this - hopefully my being english will help me enjoy it more than you did,
but i hate crap representations of women so much, dang it.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”