Review by tintinkie -- Heartaches by H.M. Irwing

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
tintinkie
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tintinkie.html
Latest Review: The Different Kinds Of Monsters by Seth Chambers

Review by tintinkie -- Heartaches by H.M. Irwing

Post by tintinkie »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Heartaches" by H.M. Irwing.]
Book Cover
1 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Heartaches – Bad Boy Vibes by H. M. Irwing

The story revolves around a male and female character that both have a background of abuse. During the story, they encounter problems which they seem unable to overcome until they meet. They have each other’s back, but will they be able to solve each other’s problems mentally and physically? That will be answered throughout the book.

The writer’s idea is good and the plot could be great. Currently, however, there are plot holes that are difficult to overcome. The fact that both characters have exactly the same ‘problems’ is far-fetched. In fact, if it weren’t for the fact I chose this book to do a review on, I would have stopped reading this story after the first two chapters. The plot needs to be worked out and a choice needs to be made. The author is mixing sexual abuse with BDSM and drug-related abuse. These three are separate factors which are very difficult for the reader to follow. The story is open-ended but did not necessarily give me the need to read further on. ,However keep in mind that the story does not end here. The ending is so abrupt that it makes me wonder if the book was meant to be finished but that the writer decided to split it up. The book is quite short for a novel

The idea of the sexual abuse and the different feelings around this abuse seems to need more research or at least some more explanation. Her feelings are clear in a masochistic kind of way, which is not explained but implied. Not a lot of people reach that conclusion. His feelings are not really explained at all. Are they the same or not? It is not clear. This book is the first installment of a series. So if you are going to read this book make sure you are prepared to read on further as this book has no ending.

The erotic scenes have been worked out quite well, which is strange as the rest of the book is riddled with strange sentences that don’t make sense or need to be rearranged. This is not a story intended for underaged readers as some scenes are graphic.

“In contrast, her chest stacked packed on the rack and that was not all she was carrying. With bumps to the front to match that of her behind…” This sentence in and of itself is just so confusing that I had to read it thrice to get the meaning of the writer’s words. There are quite a few instances where the sentences are a description of someone or something where it is not necessary at all to use these complicated wordings. Sometimes simple does it. Then again a few of the descriptions are very well done and give a clear view of the surroundings. “Shrugging back to his feet.” This is one of the instances where the writer uses wrong connections of words. Quite a few sentences are written like this and this makes it ultra-difficult to push through the story.

I like the storyline even though it does not corroborate with the description, which is a tad short. It gives the misleading factor of a light romance, whereas the story is mature and graphic in its description of the abuse and the intercourse. The scenes written to explain the surroundings are very good. It gives us a clear view of where we are.

I give this story a rating of1 out of 4 stars due to the previously mentioned errors. There are also quite a few grammar and spelling mistakes. This story needs a second draft to make it a well-rounded story, a proper introduction, and mention of the mature content. This is, however, my personal opinion.

Heartaches
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like tintinkie's review? Post a comment saying so!
Jackie Holycross
Currently Reading: The 7 Experiment
Bookshelf Size: 306
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-teacherjh.html
Latest Review: 20 World Religions and Faith Practices by Robyn Lebron

Post by Jackie Holycross »

Good job enduring to the end.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”