Review by Ever_Reading -- Randy Love...at your service

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Anon_Reviewer
Favorite Book: A Thousand Splendid Suns
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 146
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anon-reviewer.html
Latest Review: Niching Up by Chris Dreyer
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Review by Ever_Reading -- Randy Love...at your service

Post by Anon_Reviewer »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Randy Love...at your service" by Shay Carter.]
Book Cover
2 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Randy Love…at your service is a coming of age novel set in Britain. The protagonist, Randy Love is a handsome young man who, although smart, still has a lot to learn about life, responsibility and the value of the human connections he has with those around him. For most of the book, Randy jumps from job to job and cannot manage to live in the same place for more than a couple of months. He also can’t seem to stay out of trouble and constantly gets his father, friends, and others to bail him out.

Initially, I liked Randy because he seemed easy-going and had a way with words that helped him get out of sticky situations. But as I continued reading it became apparent that he is manipulative, spoiled and narcissistic, something his sister, Heather, makes him aware of towards the end of the book.

Moreover, Randy also jumps from woman to woman – even a young girl in one instance – and seems to have very little regard for these women’s feelings as he purely considers them from a physical/sexual point of view.

This is something that turned me off throughout the book. I understand that because we are looking at the events mostly through Randy’s eyes this may have been an attempt on Shay Carter’s part to give us a glimpse of how the mind of a typical man works. However, since the book is written in the third person and several times other points of view are included; Carter could have done more to develop the female characters in the book beyond just their physique.

Proper character development is something the book lacked in general. Many characters were introduced and not explored substantially before the plot moved in a completely different direction. Some of these characters, like Nadir, Toby and other of Randy’s friends were interesting and I would have appreciated it if they’d been explored in a little more detail. Other characters though, I felt did nothing to push the plot forward and could have been left out altogether, consequently leaving space for characters with more convincing storylines.

In my opinion, the book has only two redeeming factors: great writing and good humour. It is because of these factors that, although tempted, I do not give Randy Love… at your service a rating of 1. I give it a solid 2 out of 4 stars. A confusing plot with no climax or clear message is what robs this book of a higher rating.

There is a fair amount of vulgar and explicit scenes in the book, so I wouldn’t recommend it to sensitive readers. If you are looking for something deeper and more engaging than a light read, this is also not the book for you.

Randy Love...at your service
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like Ever_Reading's review? Post a comment saying so!
Yoli García
Currently Reading: Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute
Bookshelf Size: 210
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-yoli-garc-a.html
Latest Review: A taste of Cuba by Birgitte Røddik

Post by Yoli García »

I do not think I would enjoy reading about a character like Randy. Thanks for your honest review!
"What matters in life is not what happens to you but what you remember and how you remember it."

-Gabriel García Márquez
dtb
Currently Reading: A Darker Shade of Magic
Bookshelf Size: 42
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dtb.html
Latest Review: Four Funny Potatoes! by Len Foley

Post by dtb »

I also want to thank you for your honest review. I would like to see better developed female characters. I look for that in the books I want to read.
Anon_Reviewer
Currently Reading:

Post by Anon_Reviewer »

Yolimari wrote: 24 May 2018, 12:42 I do not think I would enjoy reading about a character like Randy. Thanks for your honest review!
It's an absolute pleasure :D And yeah, Randy is a tough character to put up with
Anon_Reviewer
Currently Reading:

Post by Anon_Reviewer »

dtb wrote: 25 May 2018, 18:52 I also want to thank you for your honest review. I would like to see better developed female characters. I look for that in the books I want to read.
I also look for well developed female characters because they are usually scarce in books. Thanks for your comment :wink2:
alisonedgee
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alisonedgee.html
Latest Review: Lemoncella Cocktail by Rene Natan

Post by alisonedgee »

i completely agree - really dislike randy, and pretty annoyed it didn't reach a proper climax
trajoe1206
Currently Reading: The Witch of Endor: Vampires
Bookshelf Size: 47
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-trajoe1206.html
Latest Review: The Witch of Endor by RK Wheeler
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by trajoe1206 »

Thank you for our honest review. I think that I will have to give this one a miss
Espie
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: Behind the Barbed Wire Fence
Currently Reading: Noah's Quest
Bookshelf Size: 118
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-espie.html
Latest Review: Why Me: Trash Collector, Mental Issues by Nikolay N Bey

Post by Espie »

trajoe1206 wrote: 25 Sep 2018, 21:20 Thank you for our honest review. I think that I will have to give this one a miss
Like Trajoe, I'd like to thank you for your honesty. I admire the way you've tried to find and write about the positive qualities of this piece, too.
"Life has many different chapters for us. One bad chapter doesn't mean it's the end of the book."-Unknown
"To err is human; to forgive, divine."-Alexander Pope
"Put GOD first; He'll bless your efforts with success."-Proverbs

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”