Review by Sdejardine -- One Way or Another

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Sdejardine
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sdejardine.html
Latest Review: First Family by Alice Langholt

Review by Sdejardine -- One Way or Another

Post by Sdejardine »

[Following is a volunteer review of "One Way or Another" by Mary J. Williams.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

This was the first Mary J Williams book I have read, and from the first page I was hooked. I definitely rate this book a 4 out of 4 stars. This book kept me up reading well after I should have gone to sleep. One Way or Another: A Friends to Lover Contemporary Romance (The Sisters Quartet Book 1) was a love story with a twist.

In many series books, the focus is on individual characters, and they don't really get into the other characters until the next book. This series differs, as I felt that I got to know Calder Benedict and each of her sisters, including her twin Bryce, Destry, and Andi right from the start. This book leaves me excited for the remaining books. Honestly, the only negative thought I had while reading this book was that the final book in the series was yet to be published at the time of this review. I enjoyed this first book so much that I read it in just two days. The thought of having to wait for her last book, even though I have only read the first in the series, left me slightly nervous that the last installment wouldn't be done by the time I was ready.

In this first book of the series, focus is on Calder Benedict. The book takes place mostly near the Benedict's mansion in Manhattan, but branches out of Manhattan into the surrounding areas. Calder is part of the Benedict Family, and grew up as a trust fund baby, though that didn't always make her life so easy. She and her sisters, Bryce, Destry, and Andi live together in their mansion with their mother, Billie. Growing up, the Benedict Sisters became close out of necessity. Their mother, Billie, while well-intentioned, was not a very good mother. In fact, it can be argued the only good thing she did was make them sisters. Through this sisterly bond, they grew into the strong women they are today.

Then, Calder meets Adam Stone, a businessman who, while growing up poor, has made himself into a wealthy man, but still not rich to the extent that Calder has always known. Calder has had a tough time trusting men, mostly due to her wealth. She never knows whom she can trust and always has to worry about whether they love her or her trust fund. She starts to really care for Adam and hopes that this time she won't be disappointed.

While Calder decides whether she can trust a man like Adam, we also learn more about the Benedict family and what it is like growing up as a Benedict Sister, and more importantly as one of Billie Benedict's daughters.

If this book is any indication of what is to come from Mary J William's newest series, I cannot wait to read them all. The authors unique way of writing almost inserts a person into the book. She is able to describe the events in the book as if you are an active participant, not just a reader. The book is a romance, but it is tastefully done so that it would be appropriate for either a middle-aged woman or a young teen. Mary J Williams does not just focus on the romance between Calder and Adam, but adds an underlying story about the Benedict Family that will keep you engaged until the end.

One Way or Another
View: on Bookshelves

Like Sdejardine's review? Post a comment saying so!
Jackie Holycross
Currently Reading: The 7 Experiment
Bookshelf Size: 306
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-teacherjh.html
Latest Review: 20 World Religions and Faith Practices by Robyn Lebron

Post by Jackie Holycross »

I'm not a romance fan, but I'm glad you enjoyed this one.
arcie72
Currently Reading: The Girl Who Knew Da Vinci
Bookshelf Size: 37
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-arcie72.html
Latest Review: Becoming the Dragon by Alex Sapegin

Post by arcie72 »

The fact that you could not put down the book says a lot to me. I love books like you described as making the reader an "active participant". It also adds so much to a romance novel when the underlying story engages you so much that the romance is nice but discovering the answers to the story is what enthralls you. Your review was thorough, detailed and descriptive. I can't wait to start reading this book!
chelhack
Favorite Book: My Trip To Adele
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 381
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chelhack.html
Latest Review: E-M-P Honeymoon by Dorothy May Mercer
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by chelhack »

I did like that this book included the other three sister in it as well
Chelsea N. Hackett

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”