Review by Faithmwangi -- Strong Heart by Charlie Sheldon

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Faithmwangi
Currently Reading: Empowered
Bookshelf Size: 92
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-faithmwangi.html
Latest Review: The Prodigy Slave, Book One: Journey to Winter Garden by Londyn Skye

Review by Faithmwangi -- Strong Heart by Charlie Sheldon

Post by Faithmwangi »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Strong Heart" by Charlie Sheldon.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

How many times have you found yourself in a stick situation and thought the best idea was to give up? Better yet how many times have you found yourself in a fix and you were too young to control the situation or were otherwise disadvantaged? These are some of the issues Charlie Sheldon focuses on in his book, Strong Heart. Strong heart is a book about a girl who lost her mother, did not know her father, the step father wanted to get rid of her and the grandmother found her a nuisance. Sarah is then left at her grandfather’s doorstep who is just as confused as she is. Tough life being her norm, Sarah has no particular regard for her elders. Why should she? No one had exactly stuck long enough in her life to instill character. What she didn’t know was that her life was about to change.

Tom, Sarah’s grandfather had planned to go camping with his friends Myra and William but now with Sarah here, he did not know what to do. School was still in session and they could not take her with them up the mountains. William however, did not share the same sentiment. He thought it wiser to take her with them so that she learns some survival skills. A little debate here and there and it was decided Sarah would join them. For those who have hiked before, you know it is no easy task. Sarah too felt the same way and she constantly accuses Tom of Kidnapping.

All goes well until Sarah storms out and disappears into the woods not to be found for eight days. She returns with stories of her encounter with the largest bears that ever lived and wolves that swim at the time where ice age still existed. A tale everyone believed to be a mere dream, everyone except her. The story goes on to explain how her disappearance affected her skills and her attitude towards her grandfather. She becomes the young girl who overcomes her obstacles and the girl who was brave enough to save her friends and family.

Being my first time with literature fiction, I have to admit I was impressed. The book was well edited and I found no errors. The grammar was simple thus very easy to understand. Once or twice there were hints of humor and I could not help but laugh out. I found it inspirational especially where Sarah says,
Long braid had been correct-Life is difficult. Now, facing the beautiful mountains, hearing the calls of the gulls above me, seeing rainbows in the sea spray, I knew life was also beautiful.

Now, to the things I did not like. Conversations would switch abruptly that I would be left confused. This constantly gave me the feeling I was missing something. Also, during dialogue I think the author should have better indicated the characters speaking. This is because where conversation was among three people or more I would be left figuring out who said what. There was also a lot, like a lot of narration from Sarah, it felt like a book within a book. This is certainly not the kind of book you want to spend a whole day reading but instead one that you give breaks in between.

All in all I liked the book; if you are a literature fiction person then this is for you. However, there are brutal deaths and attempted rape, so if this would deter you from reading a book, consider yourself warned. Overall, I rate this book 3 out of 4 stars.

Strong Heart
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like Faithmwangi's review? Post a comment saying so!
"Reading is essential for those who seek to rise above the ordinary.” – Jim Rohn
dtb
Currently Reading: A Darker Shade of Magic
Bookshelf Size: 42
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dtb.html
Latest Review: Four Funny Potatoes! by Len Foley
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by dtb »

Thank you for this review. I read this one too and I enjoyed reading your thoughts about the book.
scratchcat318
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 46
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-scratchcat318.html
Latest Review: McDowell by William H. Coles

Post by scratchcat318 »

I'm glad to see so many people have been reading and enjoying this book recently. I just finished it up myself and I thought it was a very enjoyable story. I understand your criticism of the dialogue within the book and how the conversations were structured within the story. Sarah did narrate a lot within the story, and I wish some of the dialogue was given to other characters in the main plot so that we could come to understand them a bit more. Thanks for the review! I enjoyed hearing your thoughts on the book.
Helen_Combe
Favorite Book: The Martian
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 193
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-helen-combe.html
Latest Review: And The Trees Began To Move by Lisa Gammon Olson
Reading Device: B00M4L4MFC

Post by Helen_Combe »

Great review. It sounds like a very complex book. I’m glad that Sarah came away with some valuable life lessons.
A thesaurus is necessary, essential, indispensable, vital, crucial and fundamental.
julessawyer
Currently Reading: The Lost Continent
Bookshelf Size: 69
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-julessawyer.html
Latest Review: Randy Love...at your service by Shay Carter

Post by julessawyer »

I'm not sure i want to read the book because of the messy dialogue. But your advice that it is a good read at intervals is actually great. Thanks. :)
JR Mercier
Favorite Book: The Bear and the Nightingale
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 129
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jr-mercier.html
Latest Review: Betrayal by Maggie Walsh

Post by JR Mercier »

I've read a few reviews on this book and it has an awesome premise but the dialogue has me hesitating. Great review.
Dream up something wild and improbable.
-Strange The Dreamer, Laini Taylor
Kibet Hillary
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 3040
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kibet-hillary.html
Latest Review: Disappearance by Julien Ayotte

Post by Kibet Hillary »

Wow, this is a very nice review. Read the book and I enjoyed it too. Life must have been hard for Sarah given that her entire family seems to have a problem. Thanks to her grandfather who is caring.
“It just hurts too much to admit what is wanted so badly when there’s no guarantee of its availability.”
- Dr. Larry Crabb
Bianka Walter
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: The Old Man and the Sea
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 368
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bianka-walter.html
Latest Review: Thir13en by Keegan Nielsen
Reading Device: B06XD5YCKX

Post by Bianka Walter »

Sarah's story definitely sounds interesting. I'm not sure about the huge bears and the swimming wolves, but it sounds cool nevertheless :)
Thanks for the great review!
You can find magic wherever you look. Sit back and relax, all you need is a book.
- Dr. Seuss
Supergirl1
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 81
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-supergirl1.html
Latest Review: Unhinged by Steve Galley
Reading Device: B00M4L4NHY

Post by Supergirl1 »

I love the way you started this review! I have also read this book and found it interesting as well. Well done on the nice review.
Faithmwangi
Latest Review: The Prodigy Slave, Book One: Journey to Winter Garden by Londyn Skye

Post by Faithmwangi »

dtb wrote: 25 May 2018, 19:04 Thank you for this review. I read this one too and I enjoyed reading your thoughts about the book.
I am glad you enjoyed it. I hope I will get the chance to read your thoughts too.Thanks for commenting.
"Reading is essential for those who seek to rise above the ordinary.” – Jim Rohn
Faithmwangi

Post by Faithmwangi »

scratchcat318 wrote: 25 May 2018, 20:52 I'm glad to see so many people have been reading and enjoying this book recently. I just finished it up myself and I thought it was a very enjoyable story. I understand your criticism of the dialogue within the book and how the conversations were structured within the story. Sarah did narrate a lot within the story, and I wish some of the dialogue was given to other characters in the main plot so that we could come to understand them a bit more. Thanks for the review! I enjoyed hearing your thoughts on the book.
Thanks for the positive comments. :)
Faithmwangi

Post by Faithmwangi »

Helen_Combe wrote: 06 Jul 2018, 05:24 Great review. It sounds like a very complex book. I’m glad that Sarah came away with some valuable life lessons.
Yes, it was a bit complex and needed a lot of patience and tinge more concentration. Thanks for commenting. :tiphat:
Faithmwangi

Post by Faithmwangi »

julessawyer wrote: 08 Jul 2018, 00:38 I'm not sure i want to read the book because of the messy dialogue. But your advice that it is a good read at intervals is actually great. Thanks. :)
I understand your sentiments. Hope you can change your mind though. Thanks for commenting.
Faithmwangi

Post by Faithmwangi »

JR Mercier wrote: 08 Jul 2018, 05:13 I've read a few reviews on this book and it has an awesome premise but the dialogue has me hesitating. Great review.
Maybe you will find yourself rounding back to it( hopeful). Thanks for commenting.
Faithmwangi

Post by Faithmwangi »

Kibetious wrote: 09 Jul 2018, 01:05 Wow, this is a very nice review. Read the book and I enjoyed it too. Life must have been hard for Sarah given that her entire family seems to have a problem. Thanks to her grandfather who is caring.
Yes, her grandfather did play a major role in her life and helped in making her life bearable. Thanks for commenting.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”