Review by liftedbooks -- Who Told You That You Were Naked?

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
liftedbooks
Currently Reading: The Ansgar Treasury
Bookshelf Size: 55
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-liftedbooks.html
Latest Review: The Embalmer by Vincent Zandri

Review by liftedbooks -- Who Told You That You Were Naked?

Post by liftedbooks »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Who Told You That You Were Naked?" by William Combs.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Who told you that you were naked? A refreshing re-examination of the Garden of Eden is not only captivating by its title, but also filled with thought-provoking and insightful content. Written by William E. Combs, a retired Presbyterian minister who is passionate about the Gospel and God’s ministry, the book provides a biblical analysis of why man fell from grace in the Garden of Eden and how we can be restored to the Father.

The author simply states what the Bible teaches and puts everything he writes across in an engaging, informative, albeit unconventional way. Readers might be a bit perplexed by the dramatizations used as illustrations of what might have happened. Combs explains that he took some liberties in the retelling of some of the stories in the Bible. These he calls ‘word-pictures’. I found the stories entertaining, but, as an avid Bible reader, I constantly had to remind myself to keep an open mind to the minister’s vivid imagination.

The book does contain a great amount of wisdom, and the author’s knowledge and education shines in each page. Everything is concise and well thought out. I learned things about the Bible that I had not noticed before, as the minister explains everything with scripture. The study questions at the end of each chapter were especially resourceful. I can imagine study groups in churches using this as a source for great discussions.

As with most ministers of the Gospel, Combs has great stories to tell of how God spoke to him and others in his life. He takes time to describe the impact this had on his life and his ministry. These stories are encouraging, and it gives the reader more insight into the man behind the book. My mentor once told me ‘Never trust a leader without a story/past filled with obstacles, and how they overcame.’ The author, through these stories, reveals that he is a man of courage and integrity.

This is a great book for spiritual growth, however I cannot say that I completely agree with everything written in this book. My own study of the Bible, and exposure to different teachings, caused me to see things slightly different. This, and the fact that some of the dramatizations are just a tad over the top, affected my writing. I rate this book 3 out of 4 stars.

This book reinforced one important belief for me: your own study and meditation on the Word is imperative. Never take everything you read and hear as absolute fact, especially when it comes to the Bible.

Who Told You That You Were Naked?
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like liftedbooks's review? Post a comment saying so!
Jackie Holycross
Currently Reading: The 7 Experiment
Bookshelf Size: 306
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-teacherjh.html
Latest Review: 20 World Religions and Faith Practices by Robyn Lebron

Post by Jackie Holycross »

I read this one, and I was pleasantly surprised at how deep and thought-provoking it was.
liftedbooks

Post by liftedbooks »

teacherjh wrote: 24 May 2018, 17:48 I read this one, and I was pleasantly surprised at how deep and thought-provoking it was.
Indeed it is! There were some things in here I had never even considered myself. I salute the author for his in-depth study and profound revelations.
10mile72
Favorite Book: My Trip To Adele
Currently Reading: The Message?
Bookshelf Size: 309
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-10mile72.html
Latest Review: Marriage 101 by Rodney D Sewell

Post by 10mile72 »

Hey. liftedbooks; I also reviewed this book, and saw it much the same way. I thought he had some pretty new insights on a very old story.
liftedbooks

Post by liftedbooks »

10mile72 wrote: 28 May 2018, 18:00 Hey. liftedbooks; I also reviewed this book, and saw it much the same way. I thought he had some pretty new insights on a very old story.
True indeed. Thank you for the reply!
Anthony__
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 459
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anthony.html
Latest Review: Its Saddest Sound by Pirjo Marjut Vega-Brandt

Post by Anthony__ »

I read this book and I love the topical ordering of the subtitles. Great review!

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”