Review by Zenbirdmom -- Becoming the Dragon by Alex Sapegin

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Zenbirdmom
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 36
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-zenbirdmom.html
Latest Review: Becoming the Dragon by Alex Sapegin
Reading Device: B01CGXU0GM

Review by Zenbirdmom -- Becoming the Dragon by Alex Sapegin

Post by Zenbirdmom »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Becoming the Dragon" by Alex Sapegin.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Two years ago things changed for Andy. He was struck by lightning while on a class field outing. Since then Andy can’t be near any TV or computers or they will go on the fritz. Since then he has read voraciously and learned archery. Andy’s father is a scientist researching transporter technology. During a demonstration Andy is inadvertently caught up in the effect and disappears. When he wakes up everything is different - even the night sky to his complete shock.

Andy manages to avoid the wildlife but is captured by some mercenaries. While in captivity, a mage sees him and says Andy is a mage. However, since he was so badly injured when he was taken he is sent to the King to be part of a hunt. Along the way his neighbor is an orc shaman who teaches him a bit of the language. She also believes Andy has an important future. At the King’s Hunt, which uses orcs and other unfortunate humans like Andy as prey, he fights back and is imprisoned and tortured. It is here he meets Karegar, the dragon.

During his travels Andy meets orcs, humans, elves, gnomes and, of course, a dragon. He also discovers that all is not peaceful on this new world and Andy finds himself making both enemies and allies. He does find a new family who he loves and who will do anything for him.

I truly enjoyed this book from beginning to end. I would give Becoming the Dragon 4 out of 4 stars. People who enjoy fantasy would like this book, as would young adults who like adventure stories. The book’s main character is a young man but it appeals to all. If you enjoy a lot of romance or graphic violence then this probably isn’t for you.

Alex Sapegin created a beautifully realized world and populated it with interesting characters who draw you in and engage you in their stories. The interactions between Karegar and Jagirra are especially fun and entertaining. The dynamics when Andy joins them are both amusing and touching. The background information covers thousands of years and explains the genesis of the hatred between some of the races, although we’ve only heard one side so far.

Becoming the Dragon is a fantastic start to an epic fantasy series. It does everything right. The main characters are interesting and likable, the beginnings of a world wide conflict are being put in place and a hero is being developed. I strongly encourage everyone to give this book a chance. I’m going to be downloading the second book in the series to find out what happens next.

Becoming the Dragon
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon | on iTunes | on Smashwords

Like Zenbirdmom's review? Post a comment saying so!
Jackie Holycross
Currently Reading: The 7 Experiment
Bookshelf Size: 306
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-teacherjh.html
Latest Review: 20 World Religions and Faith Practices by Robyn Lebron

Post by Jackie Holycross »

I'm reading this one now. I like the story, but the many characters confuse me at times.
Zenbirdmom
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 36
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-zenbirdmom.html
Latest Review: Becoming the Dragon by Alex Sapegin
Reading Device: B01CGXU0GM

Post by Zenbirdmom »

I read it in one straight shot, that helped. Stick with it though, it really is a good story.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”