Review by Brenn -- Heaven and Earth by Arturo Riojas

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Brenn
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-brenn.html
Latest Review: Yesterday by Samyann

Review by Brenn -- Heaven and Earth by Arturo Riojas

Post by Brenn »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Heaven and Earth" by Arturo Riojas.]
Book Cover
2 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The spaceship hovers over the Earth as the aliens from the planet Treretum, led by young Egroeg of the elite Drutsab clan, have come back to Earth to investigate its condition and advancement following "seeds" they had planted some centuries back. They find that the technological advancements(seeds) they had initiated on Earth have not been developed by the Earthlings as expected. Moreover, Earth is polluted with a lot of heavy metals which to Egroeg's disdain, affect the Earthlings' mental capacity. Apart from that, Egroeg has other problems with the two members of the Kcalb clan; Nivla and Sucram whom he has onboard the Ragnellach. Nivla has his own purpose of joining the mission to Earth which displeases the young commanding officer greatly. He cannot, like all Drutsabs, trust the Kcalbs. Suspicion and distrust between the Drutsab and the Kcalb clans of the Treretumians and the budding love between the two Earthlings; Olga and Gavilan whom Nivla enlists to help in the actualization of his mission to Earth, all add to spice up the story.

The author has two purposes for this book: first is to disseminate information on the health implication of Cadmium(Cd) which he does explicitly. Appended at the end of each chapter is information about Cd- its sources, activities in the human body, and what can be done about it. Arturo Riojas did his research on Cd and now I have started to watch what gets into my system after reading this book and I have also had to choose between ingesting Arsenic and Cadmium. I feel lucky that I have always grown my vegetables without phosphate-enriched fertilisers.

The second purpose which is to entertain was partially lost in the bid to educate. The story lacked that harmonious flow which would have made it captivating. The plot is not especially well developed and most of the conversation between the characters, like that between Egroeg and Sucram, is too long and tiring. It makes one want to skip to the end of the conversation and carry on.

I would rate this book 2 out of 4. Except for the exhaustive information I got on Cd, it did not exactly meet my expectations of it. There was not the right amount of emotion in the characters as needed. Characters seemed to be just spectators in their own lives, looking on without being touched by whatever was happening around them. I was only told characters were angry, or happy; it never felt like it. Characters merely talked, because they are supposed to, but barely felt. A little touch of emotion would have fixed this book, not minding the three or four typos I encountered.

I will recommend this book to all who are genuinely concerned about their health as regards to Cd poisoning. And to those who are diagnosed with Type II diabetes, arthritis, and generally those who love their shrimps and tortillas. But for those seeking yet another book for the sole pleasure of reading, this is not for you.

Heaven and Earth
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like Brenn's review? Post a comment saying so!
Latest Review: Yesterday by Samyann
crisino
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by crisino »

This reviewer is great and also giving more exclusive enlightenment about the book such that captivating the interest of reader.keep up your good work

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”