Review by tlemire -- Yesterday by Samyann

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
tlemire
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 396
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tlemire.html
Latest Review: Yesterday by Samyann
Reading Device: B004DLPXAO

Review by tlemire -- Yesterday by Samyann

Post by tlemire »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Yesterday" by Samyann.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

I just finished reading Yesterday by Samyann and I could not put it down! I love historical romance novels and this one kept me turning the pages long past my bedtime until I finished it in the wee hours of the morning!

Amanda Parker meets Mark Callahan, a Chicago police officer, after witnessing a horrific accident and saving his life. The unexpected encounter leaves them both feeling they somehow knew each other before the accident and wondering how. Not long after the incident, Mark takes Amanda to dinner. They continue to see each other, deciding they have not met previously after all, yet they feel they have some unexplained connection. They just can't shake the feeling they have known each other for some time. Could they have met in another life?

Mary's godmother, a practicing psychologist, discusses Past Life Therapy with Amanda, and Amanda agrees to explore regression therapy with her. Mark tries it as well. In their travels through time and past experiences they are brought back to the Civil War and The Great Chicago Fire of 1871. They believe they have some connection with an old grandfather clock they saw in an antique shop they went in right after the accident, but how?

Amanda has experienced great loss in her life and her grief is a burden on her as well as her relationship with Mark. She has a hard time letting him get close to her. He is patient and understanding, and vows to be there for her, but she has a hard time believing him. She is afraid she will lose him too.

Reincarnation is a major theme in the novel and I delved into the story with an open mind. Although it is a work of fiction, it felt realistic and the story line plausible.

The author includes accurate, descriptive detail of the times and I felt I was right there, experiencing things as they happened. The characters are very well-developed in all eras and I felt like I knew many of them. I wanted to get to know them even better.

I couldn't find anything to dislike about this book. I loved every aspect of it! It was very well-written, and it brought me to laughter and tears several times along the way. I loved learning more about the historical events included, and the story flowed from present to past and back seamlessly. For all of these reasons I am rating this book 4 out of 4 stars! I hated to see it end and hope to read more from this author! I encourage anyone who enjoys history, romance, mystery and suspense, or reincarnation themes to read this book!

Yesterday
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like tlemire's review? Post a comment saying so!
Latest Review: Yesterday by Samyann
Amy+++
Favorite Book: The Mister
Currently Reading: Last Chance Cafe
Bookshelf Size: 218
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amy.html
Latest Review: The Chauvinist's Guide to Modern Romance by Morris Rollins
Reading Device: B01CRGNO4S

Post by Amy+++ »

I reviewed this book a month ago and I absolutely loved it. I felt the same way. I didn't want to stop reading it and then when it was over I was so sad. I never wanted it end. I didn't think that I would like the book but I read it any and ended up falling in love with it. Your review was great.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”